No more aluminum water bottles. Back to plastic

fstuff1

8 minutes ago, chuckroast1 said:

Currently on Reflection. All aluminum all the time here.

Thanks for the datapoint, if you don't mind, ask a bartender or perhaps the crew manning the buffet drink station if they heard if they're switching to plastic

27 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Majority of adults do not drink liquids directly from cartons, of course exceptions exist

Well maybe that’s your experience but where I live (Ottawa, Canada) every Starbucks and most other coffee shops now sell Flow water in cartons and adults buy and drink from them without any issue. It’s not like drinking from the open spout of school milk.

5 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Well maybe that’s your experience but where I live (Ottawa, Canada) every Starbucks and most other coffee shops now sell Flow water in cartons and adults buy and drink from them without any issue. It’s not like drinking from the open spout of school milk.

I don't mean this in a negative way, when it comes to X passengers, wouldn't you consider those from Canada the minority?  In the US, most if not all the Starbucks sell water in plastic bottles

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I don't mean this in a negative way, when it comes to X passengers, wouldn't you consider those from Canada the minority?  In the US, most if not all the Starbucks sell water in plastic bottles

Agreed but that “adults don’t drink out of cartons” is just false. Because cartons are not mainstream yet in the US is another issue. Canadian customers are not that different to Americans we just have different products available to us. 

Also NCL has switched to cartons and there and most customers are American adults. I just don’t think the idea of drinking out of a carton is such a big problem. The environmental impact is much lower than plastic, it is considered higher end in many markets, and it is easier to transport due to its squareish shape.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It does have the same opening as a plastic bottle or is the USA that backwards 🤔😁

2 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Agreed but that “adults don’t drink out of cartons” is just false. Because cartons are not mainstream yet in the US is another issue. Canadian customers are not that different to Americans we just have different products available to us. 

Also NCL has switched to cartons and there and most customers are American adults. I just don’t think the idea of drinking out of a carton is such a big problem. The environmental impact is much lower than plastic, it is considered higher end in many markets, and it is easier to transport due to its squareish shape.

It comes down to this, if X changed to carton water, will most X passengers who have never experienced a water carton before, request a glass to pour it in?  Will the servers just serve the water carton along with a glass along without even asking ?  Rhetorical questions

I'd be willing to bet this is more of a supply issue than anything else. With the ship repoing away from the NY season, I imagine they ran out of aluminum bottles and chose to not supply any more. If they supplied more than they could store on the ship, they would be stuck storing a stockpile somewhere in NJ or pay to ship them to another location. That wouldn't make a lot of sense. 

22 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It comes down to this, if X changed to carton water, will most X passengers who have never experienced a water carton before, request a glass to pour it in?  Will the servers just serve the water carton along with a glass along without even asking ?  Rhetorical questions

Your making the assumption that you are the majority in refusing to drink out of a box with a plastic spout. If NCL has successfully made the switch on a cruise line and millions of others in North America have as well then why do you assume X customers are so “special “ that they refuse. 

Enjoy your cheap plastic bottles of water and I’ll choose my alkaline spring water in environmentally friendly packaging. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, horseymike said:

Someone may have cut themselves with those aluminum water bottles, the edges of the cap were quite sharp .

When I've had them bartender opened for me but I did hear of people who cut their thumbs.  Glad Celebrity got their act together at least on this one

19 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Your making the assumption that you are the majority in refusing to drink out of a box with a plastic spout. If NCL has successfully made the switch on a cruise line and millions of others in North America have as well then why do you assume X customers are so “special “ that they refuse. 

Enjoy your cheap plastic bottles of water and I’ll choose my alkaline spring water in environmentally friendly packaging. 

I did say rhetorical as now you're also making assumptions that X passengers WOULD drink from the carton; NCL and X passengers are different.  Do we even have data of how many on NCL drink from the carton or pour into glasses?

At the end of the day, ships, whether cargo or cruise are NOT remotely environmentally friendly.  If you truly care about being greener, there's no bigger impact you can have than to NOT cruise.  If you want to cruise, there's no bigger impact you can make than to only sail on ships that burn LNG fuel and not ships like X that use Heavy Fuel Oil mixed with diesel.  From "well to prop" LNG is significantly cleaner and ships often last for 50+ years

Now you're attacking all of America (lol) yet I'll share that we personally bring water bottles with us, use refill stations and most circumstances, if filtered water isn't an option are okay with drinking tap water.  We are well aware that doing so is only a tiny drop in the huge bucket of environmental impact

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

They may have just ran out of aluminum bottles at the supply port and are now raiding the RCL stock until they can replenish.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Common sense replies are unacceptable here on Cruise Critic. What were you thinking?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Why? 
looks good to me 

no different than get milk, cream. Or juices 

Several reasons, with small and arthritic hands holding these cartons is hard, even when pouring half and half. Then, when they are full I can see squeezing it and dribbling water down my chin.