I am in need of a sunscreen that will not stain clothing

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

If anyone know of a sunscreen that will not stain clothing,  I would love to hear what brand you use.

I am so tired of ruining my clothes because of sunblock.   

Also if anyone know how to remove that orange stain it leaves on garments,  i would appreciate knowing that as well.  

I have tried several stain removers and nothing seems to work.

Not a very direct answer, but in recent years I gave up using sunscreens, and just wear a long-sleeve rashguard when I'm out in the sun.  Easy on, easy off.  I see a lot more people wearing them now, including crew members.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

I use a high end(nutragenia) 15 spf and it works well .We go to the beach often so I do use it all the time.

None of Neutragena's 15-SPF products are reef-safe. Only their Sheer Zinc lotions and Mineral Ultra Sheer bar are. Off course, they advertize them AFTER proclaiming that oxybenzone is not harmful to living coral. 

4 hours ago, Cruise Girl Forever said:

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

If anyone know of a sunscreen that will not stain clothing,  I would love to hear what brand you use.

I am so tired of ruining my clothes because of sunblock.   

Also if anyone know how to remove that orange stain it leaves on garments,  i would appreciate knowing that as well.  

I have tried several stain removers and nothing seems to work.

I use Babyganics SPF 50 mineral sunscreen.  It goes on like a treat - not 'tacky' or hard to rub in - and it has never stained anything I've worn over it so far.  Note:  It DOES leave a residue on leather car seats, which can be removed with some effort, but it's better not to wear it on your legs and then get into the car in shorts.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 1:59 PM, Cruise Girl Forever said:

Thank you for all the replays.  I will try your suggestions.  

Be aware, most sunscreens contain avobenzone.  It doesn't really stain clothes, but if it's on your clothes and you have iron-rich water for doing laundry it shows up as rust stains.  

I found this out on a (land) trip in Alaska.  Stained my favorite shirt.  That's when I discovered Bar Keepers Friend.  It's great for removing those stains.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 4:11 PM, Shmoo here said:

Be aware, most sunscreens contain avobenzone.  It doesn't really stain clothes, but if it's on your clothes and you have iron-rich water for doing laundry it shows up as rust stains.  

I found this out on a (land) trip in Alaska.  Stained my favorite shirt.  That's when I discovered Bar Keepers Friend.  It's great for removing those stains.  

Thank you,  That is exactly what happened to me.  Looks like rust stain and is on my favorite shirt.

I will give that remover a try.

8 hours ago, Cruise Girl Forever said:

Thank you,  That is exactly what happened to me.  Looks like rust stain and is on my favorite shirt.

I will give that remover a try.

I got the liquid style.  Wet the cloth, put on Bar Keepers Friend and scrub.  Some stains I had to put it on and let it sit for a minute.  Be aware it's really caustic, you have to rinse it out well once the stain appears to be gone and rewash immediately (NOT in iron-rich water).  

Edited by Shmoo here

On 8/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, shipgeeks said:

Not a very direct answer, but in recent years I gave up using sunscreens, and just wear a long-sleeve rashguard when I'm out in the sun.  Easy on, easy off.  I see a lot more people wearing them now, including crew members.

I'll second this solution, although it isn't exactly what you asked for.   I got tired of getting burned because I missed a spot with sunscreen or I sweated it off and didn't re-apply soon enough.  UPF 40-50 shirts from Orvis/Patagonia/Columbia/etc have kept me from getting burned for years now.   I've also become a fan of big sun hats.  Around home and at our lake place in the summer, I like big straw lifeguard hats or toquilla cowboy hats.   Traveling with a formed/blocked hat is a pain,  so I went on a quest for a good travel hat.  I found a wide brimmed bucket hat on Amazon that I really like.  The crown is crushable and vented but the brim is quite rigid, but foldable at a seam, and it packs flat.  It doesn't flop down in your face in a headwind, which is kind of a must for me.  

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.  

4 hours ago, port msp said:

I found a wide brimmed bucket hat on Amazon that I really like.  The crown is crushable and vented but the brim is quite rigid, but foldable at a seam, and it packs flat.  It doesn't flop down in your face in a headwind, which is kind of a must for me.

Name to search, or link?

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

Name to search, or link?

The one I have is marketed under the brand Einskey, but the same hat can be found on Amazon under other names.   https://www.amazon.com/EINSKEY-Waterproof-Outdoor-Protection-Fishing/dp/B01J1GQ1HY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=einskey%2Bsun%2Bhat&qid=1692738361&sr=8-3&th=1

It's not very stylish, but it definitely does the job of protecting your face, neck, and ears.   

• Thanks 1