HAWAII Cruisers - FYI - Lahaina destroyed by Fire

mikjr

So the Emerald Princess is currently (Aug 05th - 21st) on it's 16 day round trip Hawaiian Island with a scheduled stop on Mon, Aug 14th to Lahaina, Maui Island, which I don't think they will be making due to the fires currently burning in Lahaina, https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com

Prayers for the all that are effected.
Does the ship typically need to re-provision food and/or bunker fuel in Honolulu before returning to the mainland?

I also wonder how weather and specifically the smoke from the fire will effect this voyage overall.

I'm guessing that the ship instead of Lahaina, Maui may overnight somewhere or take a slower route towards Ensenada.

Safe travels,
- WYB

Edited by WYB!

22 minutes ago, WYB! said:

So the Emerald Princess is currently (Aug 05th - 21st) on it's 16 day round trip Hawaiian Island with a scheduled stop on Mon, Aug 14th to Lahaina, Maui Island, which I don't think they will be making due to the fires currently burning in Lahaina, https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com

Prayers for the all that are effected.
Does the ship typically need to re-provision food and/or bunker fuel in Honolulu before returning to the mainland?

I also wonder how weather and specifically the smoke from the fire will effect this voyage overall.

I'm guessing that the ship instead of Lahaina, Maui may overnight somewhere or take a slower route towards Ensenada.

Safe travels,
- WYB

There are other Hawaiian ports they could relocate to if there is space. They are the next cruise ship due in Hawaii 

• Like 1

Not just Lahaina. Also one near Kula and one near Kehei. Have been told by friends, but not otherwise confirmed that Kula Lodge is gone.

Maui had requested only essential travel to the island and requested others not travel.

Also fire on the big island.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Can't yet find any info about the Pioneer Inn - been part of my family visits since the early 1960's - beaded curtains and fans on the ceiling.

A friend of mine says the Banyan Tree is gone  If that is true than not good for pioneer inn.

One report says that harbor area gone, but did not say if it was the one next to the inn where the ferry docks or the one just outside of town

Just now, memoak said:

There are other Hawaiian ports they could relocate to if there is space. They are the next cruise ship due in Hawaii 

Maybe their only solution would be to overnight in Honolulu if they are not already.  Maui and Hawaii Island are having the National Guard brought in today.  Their resources are going to be extremely stressed and basically not available.  Most flights from the mainland to Kahului Airport have already been canceled today through August 11, 2023.  Visitors  (4,000) are being evacuated to Honolulu to make housing available for the thousands of locals who have lost their hokes.  I am sure the Emerald Princess is a low priority for the state.

Edited by Princessfan20

17 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yes it is all very sad, I have a firend staying in Maui right now and was to go home a couple of days ago but flights have been canceled and she is not sure when she will get to leave.

Oh no! That is scary, I hope they are safe. 

I heard on the news that the tree is gone and so are the shops and art galleries on front street, the main tourist street.

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Can't yet find any info about the Pioneer Inn - been part of my family visits since the early 1960's - beaded curtains and fans on the ceiling.

Person being interviewed on CNN stated that Pioneer Inn was destroyed.

6 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Just watched a video from an airborne tour operator who overflew the area. Lahaina is essentially gone. There's nothing left of the downtown commercial district.

That is so sad.  It will be a very tough time for the residents.  I hope tourists stay away and give the island time to heal.  Soon after Ian hit our area, when gas, food and water supplies were low, tourists started showing up.  

• Like 2

I am onboard the emerald now, 2 days out of Hilo.   The ship and captain are very quiet.  Not a word. Yesterday we did speed up for a medical emergency, trying to arrive 15 hours early….but now…who knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1