HAWAII Cruisers - FYI - Lahaina destroyed by Fire

mikjr

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

A friend of mine says the Banyan Tree is gone 

All of this is so sad. I loved that banyan tree, and the entire village area in Lahaina. Spent many a good day as a tourist there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

Would holland consider cancelling cruise in October now ?

so sad ..beautiful places burning 

The cruise would not be canceled, but calling on this port most likely will be.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, julia said:

17 minutes ago, julia said:
27 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

Would holland consider cancelling cruise in October now ?

so sad ..beautiful places burning 

The Volendam, Noordam, and Koningsdam are all scheduled for stops in Lahaina during the second and third weeks of October. The Emerald Princess was the next scheduled cruise ship for that port on next Monday 8/14 so it will interesting to see what Princess does.

Edited by Destiny0315

1 hour ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

That is so sad.  It will be a very tough time for the residents.  I hope tourists stay away and give the island time to heal.  Soon after Ian hit our area, when gas, food and water supplies were low, tourists started showing up.  

Honestly, visitors should leave/stay away from all of Hawaii at this juncture. Available resources, including much lodging literally statewide, needs to be held in reserve for displaced locals and emergency responders until the islands have stabilized. The parallels to Puerto Rico in 2017/18 are real where my son spent nearly a year deployed there with FEMA. I don't think this will be quite as bad but the impact should not be underestimated.

I just watched the local Director of Emergency Management show incredible discipline when a moronic reporter asked when the internet would get restored. His response, "Ma'am, we're totally committed to protecting human life at the moment and secondarily physical property where and when we can with ongoing uncontrolled fires still very active."

Boots will be on the ground for the long haul. 

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, WYB! said:

So the Emerald Princess is currently (Aug 05th - 21st) on it's 16 day round trip Hawaiian Island with a scheduled stop on Mon, Aug 14th to Lahaina, Maui Island, which I don't think they will be making due to the fires currently burning in Lahaina, https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com

Prayers for the all that are effected.
Does the ship typically need to re-provision food and/or bunker fuel in Honolulu before returning to the mainland?

I also wonder how weather and specifically the smoke from the fire will effect this voyage overall.

I'm guessing that the ship instead of Lahaina, Maui may overnight somewhere or take a slower route towards Ensenada.

Safe travels,
- WYB

we were on a Princess cruise in March and missed Maui and Kauai due to weather.  Capt decided to spend an extra day in Honolulu.  which was OK.  

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Can't yet find any info about the Pioneer Inn - been part of my family visits since the early 1960's - beaded curtains and fans on the ceiling.

For us, it’s drinks at Kimo’s, followed by a visit to the artists under the banyan tree. We’ve been there countless times. I am so sad for her citizens, and future visitors, that it sounds like much of the fascinating historical buildings are gone. Thinking of all of you!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

The Volendam, Noordam, and Koningsdam are all scheduled for stops in Lahaina during the second and third weeks of October. The Emerald Princess was the next scheduled cruise ship for that port on next Monday 8/14 so it will interesting to see what Princess does.

I do not think any ships will be stopping at Lahaina for quite a while.  This picture is of the harbor area where the tenders dock.  Basically at this point Maui and the rest of the Islands are going to be dealing with a lot of misplaced residents (expectations of 30,000 being homeless).  People are being evacuated to other islands.  Just trying to get tourists home from the major resort areas is a major issue with the main routes closed and only the back road open (it is single lane in places).  They are requesting only essential travel in order that airline capacity can be used for dealing with the emergency.  

image.jpeg.c96c8c58c825902a185cb6a380a45ce6.jpeg

Edited by ldtr

34 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I do not think any ships will be stopping at Lahaina for quite a while.

News from the Princess board is that the Captain of the Emerald Princess, currently heading to Hilo, Hawaii, has already announced the cancellation of any stop in Maui, and that marine operations was working on an alternative port.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

As of 3 hours (Wed Aug 9, 2023, 11:40PST) ago, Kula Lodge announced on their Facebook page that they have been spared so far. Downtown Lahaina, not so lucky.

Thanks.  I will pass on to the person that told me it was gone.

1 hour ago, Ineke said:

For us, it’s drinks at Kimo’s, followed by a visit to the artists under the banyan tree. We’ve been there countless times. I am so sad for her citizens, and future visitors, that it sounds like much of the fascinating historical buildings are gone. Thinking of all of you!

My neighbor used to be one of those artists. He just found out that his family is safe, but it's been a long day of worry.   😞

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I can see the cruise ships making brief stops to deliver emergency supplies.  EM

It's kinda too bad that all the pandemic retirees ended up on the ship breaking beach at Aliaga.

I'd potentially anticipate activation of one or more ready reserve ships. TS Empire State served as FEMA housing both in Key West and San Juan but I see that she was retired from the Ready Reserve in 2022 so perhaps there are replacements in that role now. What folks sometime have trouble grasping is how difficult restoration on an island is. There aren't 49 other states to truck materials from.

Empirestate.jpg

Edited by jsglow

So many of the Hawaiian islands are affected by this.  It’s so sad.  Forget the cruise ports - there’s so much more going on here - peoples’ lives have been lost, homes lost, towns gone, nature destroyed.  It’s just horrific 😔 climate change is upon us sadly whether the naysayers want to believe it or not. 😢 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2