HAWAII Cruisers - FYI - Lahaina destroyed by Fire

mikjr

The problem with Hawaii,...  it takes years to build anything.  My brother in law was a native Hawaiian and developer in Hawaii.  He said it takes years and years to get approval for projects.  And supplies and resources are always the other big issue on the Islands.   Hopefully, the STATE and local leaders will be smart enough to move this project along quickly.  Not only for the obvious financial issues, but for healing the emotional sadness and impact to the Hawaiian people.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

A year will be far too long-- I don't think you realize how much locals on this side of the island depend on tourism and the devastating hardships and poverty it would create to turn it off for that long.  

Kapalua and Kaanapali are currently cut off and our place in Kaanapali currently doesn't have power. But they aren't destroyed. The Wailea resort area is essentially undamaged. I think you will see these resort areas get back to work within a matter of weeks. 

I agree with you that Lahaina will be a long road back. My hope is that they build it back thoughtfully that preserves some of the ambiance that we all enjoyed and not make it a Disneyland version of its former self. 

As I said before, according to county sources they are going to need the resorts for housing since the shelters, mostly schools, can't be used indefinitely. This was one reason why tourists are being diverted and discouraged from booking. The people who worked the west side aren't "local" any more, and they can't work there if they have to commute through the highway used for recovery and rebuilding. But I am a pessimist, I admit. (Maybe the resorts will house their workers and also be able to host some tourists.... 🤔).

I would visit Slappy Cakes if I could get there!

Edited by mayleeman

This is very sad. The loss of life, property, and history will impact this area and the people forever. Since I have a future cruise that had planned to stop here, I have spent time researching the area. I think having just that small glimpse of the area online helps me understand the loss a bit more than otherwise. Of course nowhere near the emotional impact felt by others who live there or who have visited. My condolences to all. 

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Here are 3 before/after satellite pictures showing some of the coastal section of Lahaina. I haven't found any pictures showing how far toward the north the fire went.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/10/us/satellite-images-maui-fires-damage/index.html

Here’s a pic taken yesterday afternoon of Lahaina.  Don’t know if this helps. You have to zoom to see it.

image.thumb.jpeg.2cd7b35303a3e10733b58ec2331777f5.jpeg

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kazu said:

So many of the Hawaiian islands are affected by this.  It’s so sad.  Forget the cruise ports - there’s so much more going on here - peoples’ lives have been lost, homes lost, towns gone, nature destroyed.  It’s just horrific 😔 climate change is upon us sadly whether the naysayers want to believe it or not. 😢 

Absolutely...  to speak of cruising or port changes is just wrong in the face of this tragedy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Cruise ships yes and agree, but I have to think that once the power/safety resources are back the priority will be to make sure that the Kapalua, Kaanapali, and Wailea resort areas go into overdrive to make up for lost tourist revenue. 

Ar this point they are trying to get tourists out of Maui as fast as possible and want those with scheduled trips to cancel them. I have a relative that manages a property in Kihei.  His staff spent yesterday afternoon contacting those that had reservations for the next 30 days asking them to cancel and giving full refunds (this is a property that requires payment at time of booking and usually no refunds after 30 days prior). Fortunately most are agreeing. He said a few did not . One called back a couple of hours later asking for the deal after United canceled their flights.

A lot of locals that work in those resorts lost their homes. Maui had a shortage of housing before the fire and has now gotten considerably worse. One of the major concerns at this point  is how much of the labor force is going to end up having to leave due to the lack and cost of housing. Too many properties covered to vacation rentals or occupied only part of the year.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Your familiarity with Maui is likely much much greater than mine, so sorry if I seemed too pedantic! I think tourism "as soon as it is practical" is correct, but I think it is going to require at least a year before the infrastructure, housing, workforce, and economic resources will be sufficient to have tourism be more than a trickle.

I think you are completely wrong.

South Maui is untouched. They are currently fully capable of handling close to their normal load if not completely handling their normal load.

Maui has over 12,000 hospitality workers and less than half work or live in West Maui. The infrastructure, housing and workforce of South Maui is intact.

As to West Maui, while Lahaina is a tragedy, at last count only 271 structures have been lost and a lot of those are not homes. Other than power, Ka'anapali, Honokowai, Napili and Kapalua are untouched. Of the more than 11,500 tourist units in West Maui, only 742 are in Lahaina Town itself.

There is no count on how many workers have been displaced permanently (home is gone), but the vast majority have not lost their homes or face permanent displacement. They need their jobs and the sooner they get to return to them, the better for them. It may not be in August, but there should not be any barriers for October and beyond. September is in flux, depending on the final numbers and displacements.

Cruising to Lahaina may be done for two years or more since it looks like the new tender dock burned, but that is a small portion of Maui's visitors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Cruising to Lahaina may be done for two years or more since it looks like the new tender dock burned, but that is a small portion of Maui's visitors.

I wonder if the wildfires are over.

Anyway, the main concern of the folks on this forum is the possibility of cruising to Maui.

6 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Anyway, the main concern of the folks on this forum is the possibility of cruising to Maui.

And they still can cruise to Maui, it just means docking in Kahului and working out the logistics of two ships at the berth at once.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ldtr said:

A lot of locals that work in those resorts lost their homes. Maui had a shortage of housing before the fire and has now gotten considerably worse. One of the major concerns at this point  is how much of the labor force is going to end up having to leave due to the lack and cost of housing. Too many properties covered to vacation rentals or occupied only part of the year.

No, "a lot" of locals that work in those resorts did not lose their homes. Some workers or many workers may have lost homes or be displaced currently, but a lot of the homes that burned were the waterfront homes that are not occupied by hotel and restaurant workers. The final count of homes lost is not yet known, the area destroyed is relatively small. "Lahaina" is not all gone, a good portion of Downtown Lahaina is.

It is up to the government of Maui to "fix" things as quickly as possible and not pull the usual junk they do.The government of Maui is who approved 8,000 more visitor units in West Maui while never expanding the Honoapi'ilani Highway (Highway 30 Maui) and never adding alternative safety routes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

It is up to the government of Maui to "fix" things as quickly as possible and not pull the usual junk they do.The government of Maui is who approved 8,000 more visitor units in West Maui while never expanding the Honoapi'ilani Highway (Highway 30 Maui) and never adding alternative safety routes.

Amen. 

• Like 2

Yes, the current situation needs to come under control first, but it shouldn't be excessively long before additional air service will come online to service Kapalua Airport for easy access to Kapalua and Kaanapali.   Kahului could naturally substitute as a full docking port for the ships previously tendering off Lahaina.   Once Maui starts welcoming back visitors, there is still lots to see and do on the island.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Yes, the current situation needs to come under control first, but it shouldn't be excessively long before additional air service will come online to service Kapalua Airport for easy access to Kapalua and Kaanapali.   Kahului could naturally substitute as a full docking port for the ships previously tendering off Lahaina.   Once Maui starts welcoming back visitors, there is still lots to see and do on the island.

Yes agree & their life blood is tourism  .The State & Maui governments need to figure ways to add more surface roads as well  which will take time .In the meantime cargo ships & planes can deliver needed supplies for rebuilding as well as all other items used on the island 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

No, "a lot" of locals that work in those resorts did not lose their homes. Some workers or many workers may have lost homes or be displaced currently, but a lot of the homes that burned were the waterfront homes that are not occupied by hotel and restaurant workers. The final count of homes lost is not yet known, the area destroyed is relatively small. "Lahaina" is not all gone, a good portion of Downtown Lahaina is.

Actually the current number  is at least 1700 buildings lost in Lahaina.  Another comment from the state was 80% of all structures in Lahaina.  The damage extends far beyond the water front homes.  It includes the areas of Lahaina that was comprised on many older and smaller homes as well.

One person just interviewed whose business was destroyed said almost all of Lahaina is gone that most of the buildings almost all of the way to Kaanapali are gone.

Maui, along with rest of the state, was already short staffed with many employees leaving during Covid and housing costs making it very difficult to attract workers to fill open positions.

There’s a whole lot of infrastructure that needs to happen. Yes there are resorts in South Maui and West Maui. But just how are you going to get there. Pretty sure all these rental car companies have lost a fair number of cars that were in Lahaina and the vicinity.  How about the grocery stores and getting supplies in. The first consideration needs to be to take care of Maui’s own residents. There will be a huge need to fly in workers to help rebuild and they will be needing a place to stay. Residents will need hotel rooms too.  
In case you are  not aware infrastructure for roads on any of these islands is an extremely slow snail pace project.   Everything is caught up in tangles. Many times when they start to dig they run into ancient burial grounds and have to reroute. 

I understand many have had their vacations Interrupted and canceled.  I get that. Ourselves included. Not a good time to get in the way and take up valuable resources.  Lahaina for awhile to come will not be the Lahaina we all knew. The historic old buildings are gone.  Much of the beautiful scenery burned.  

Edited by mauimary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sad new for those doing the Hawaii/Tahiti cruises. The whole township of Lahaina on Maui has been wiped out by a major wild fire the other day. The beautiful 150yo banyan tree which was close to the tender wharf has been badly scorched and probably won't survive. 

Lahaina was a lovely place to visit with interesting shops, great restaurants and a decent-sized outlet centre. 

My heart goes out to the residents of Lahaina who have lost both homes and businesses.

😪😪😪

• Like 11

This is very sad news because we found it a very attractive town with interesting history. We really enjoyed our tour around the museum and seeing the old courthouse. That amazing old banyan tree provided very impressive shade cover.

We also feel so sad for the locals who have lost their homes and businesses, and some their lives in this horrible wildfire.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sad new for those doing the Hawaii/Tahiti cruises. The whole township of Lahaina on Maui has been wiped out by a major wild fire the other day. The beautiful 150yo banyan tree which was close to the tender wharf has been badly scorched and probably won't survive. 

Lahaina was a lovely place to visit with interesting shops, great restaurants and a decent-sized outlet centre. 

My heart goes out to the residents of Lahaina who have lost both homes and businesses.

😪😪😪

Very sad. We were supposed to sail sydney to Hawaii next month but changed so we could go back to South Africa, which we are just back

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Too late for me to edit, but the above should have read:

I believe it will be years before a cruise ship returns to Lahaina (if ever). 

I suspect it will be awhile before a cruise ship returns to Kahalui also. The island just does not have enough resources to share with tourists. 

We lived on the Island of Hawaii for many years and recently moved back to the mainland but still live part of the year on island.  This idea that the Maui/state government is going to expedite rebuilding everything is pure folly.  Hawaii does not work that way.  

Towns do not get restored that fast on the mainland (it takes years -look at Paradise, CA and areas in Florida) when they are wiped out by natural disasters and it is probably going to be excruciating slow on Maui.  

Plus you will have many meetings to make sure that the needs of the locals and natives are taken into account.  There will be great resistance from taking suggestions from any people from the mainland on what is best for Maui.

I would be surprised if Lahaina has any resemblance to its' past self in twenty years from now.  Hawaii is over run with tourists anyway so there will be a natural pressure from locals to take back what they see having been taken from them.  I just hope the hoards stay away from the Big Island.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Picture of the banyan tree pretty much confirms it isn't likely to have much left.

gettyimages-1590326919_custom-e2e6f32153db6c52de6806ab3240ea7eacfc478b-s1000-c85.webp.b3714ed505429d310e6e9d17a22a931a.webp

So incredibly sad. We have taken many photos around this beautiful tree over the years. Now just a memory. 

• Like 2