HAWAII Cruisers - FYI - Lahaina destroyed by Fire

mikjr

A friend's nephew is still missing after the fire.  May have been on a yellow motorcycle.  Additional info has been posted to the Maui People Finder FB group.  Anyone with news please contact me and I'll pass the info along back through the chain.  Thanks

E4B6834C-37E5-411D-A4CD-711C8FD69F5C.jpeg

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1

It rubs me the wrong way to hear about the tree. It represents a lot to perhaps many here so I don't want to offend you and your ways you connect to Maui with my opinion. 

But deep down, I don't want to scroll by without mentioning, so many lives lost in a horrific way and many more still actively searching. I am most heartbroken with overwhelming concern of the suffering of the families and people. The tree is/was beautiful but not as beautiful as the people who love and take care of each other. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I, too, am saddened by the losses in Lahaina.  But feel the opposite about "a tree".  It is not just a tree.  It is the hope and future of Lahaina.  Regrowth, glimmers of hope, mana.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/09/18/breaking-news/lahainas-150-year-old-banyan-tree-has-sprouted-green-leaves/

The tree is showing signs of life, just as the residents are beginning to return to the fire zone.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The tree is showing signs of life, just as the residents are beginning to return to the fire zone.  

The tree showing signs of life is powerfully symbolic to many people, including many in West Maui.

The death toll has dropped from 115 to 97, as some people had been counted twice, and the missing dropped from 852 to 31. While both numbers, deceased and missing, are tragic, they are better than they were.

Lahaina will comeback, hopefully in my lifetime, and I hope that the people on Maui and in Hawaii has gained knowledge and wisdom for the future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 7:21 AM, 808cruisers said:

It rubs me the wrong way to hear about the tree.

Caring about the tree doesn't mean people don't care about the loss of human life. The tree is a powerful symbol to many people. Two of my cousins were Lahainaluna graduates in the mid to late 1940's, their ancestral home burned in the fire, but thankfully with no loss of life. It is a tragedy all the way round and any positive development is welcomed.

• Like 6