Celebrity downgraded and moved ONE of our three cabins!

FriscoMo

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Celebrity has the same language in their contract, it really is quite normal to include these provisions in cruise contracts.

In the past few months Celebrity has unilaterally cancelled cruises, moved ships planned to be in one location to a different one, double-booked hundreds of cabins and had to cancel cruises and move people to the following year...

This stuff happens on pretty much every line.

In the grand scheme of things, having one cabin moved to a different sub-category is not actually a huge event.

Annoying for sure, but not the end of the world...

I don't think you will like to pay for the suite with all perks and be downgraded to a regular cabin. Not a comparison to the end of the world.

23 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

There are four topics I'm VERY reluctant to talk about with others I don't know on any ship:

• Politics
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Money

Discussing the wheres and hows of other people's bookings seems to stray into at least one of the above.

I suppose that rules out paying for a threesome with a catholic democrat and a republican protestant?

• Haha 5

On 8/9/2023 at 5:54 PM, jelayne said:

What cabin category did he book and what category was he downgraded to.  Surprised a TA wouldn’t book the TA rate vs regular price.

TA rates are not available that often. TAs cannot get a TA rate for any sailing / any cabin.  The rates are very specific itineraries and limited cabins, have to be requested as opposed to booked, etc.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

I don't think you will like to pay for the suite with all perks and be downgraded to a regular cabin. Not a comparison to the end of the world.

That isn't what has happened here though is it... ?

It is a move from Prime Ocean View  to Ocean View, typically around a $50 fare difference...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

There are four topics I'm VERY reluctant to talk about with others I don't know on any ship:

• Politics
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Money

Discussing the wheres and hows of other people's bookings seems to stray into at least one of the above.

I don't mind at all talking about those subjects, but I certainly don't lead with one of those or initiate conversation with a stranger in the hopes of getting there.  I won't be terribly charmed, either, should someone open with such a subject or should I get the feeling that's why someone started talking to be in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

some people got downgraded from YC to a regular cabin. 

As I advised in the MSC thread, the situation you are talking about is the result of a cruiser who, when advised far in advance of the cruise that that particular sailing had been chartered, refused to take the offers in the notice of a fare refund or moving the booking to a new date (OBC was also offered).

Instead, he insisted that he still be allowed to retain his booking and after MSC then offered an alternate cabin on the chartered sailing, escalated his demands and threats to the point that the cruise line notified him in writing that he would be arrested at the pier if he attempted to board the ship.

Somehow, all the facts of the  story are never included when the poster shows up to routinely bad mouth MSC.

More interesting is the fact that the poster continued to book numerous MSC Yacht Club and proceeds to harangue the on board crew about his grievance.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

I don’t see it as very difficult. “Hey this is a lovely location on this cabin don't you think, did you have to book it early like we did or can you get these last minute?” Is not an inquisition. But I agree, the TA who made the booking is probably the source for this difficulty. 

I agree.  People who find this question too personal or nosy or whatever really blow my mind.  It's casual conversation.  I wouldn't be giving people my credit card number or the amount I paid but I couldn't care less about answering when I booked.  It's no big secret.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree.  People who find this question too personal or nosy or whatever really blow my mind.  It's casual conversation.  I wouldn't be giving people my credit card number or the amount I paid but I couldn't care less about answering when I booked.  It's no big secret.

To me that is just a strange question to approach a stranger in the next cabin and ask.  For me it sends up a signal - that’s strange, what difference does it make when I booked? what is the hidden agenda here?  
Now if we had been chatting at dinner or the bar for a few nights and then you asked how do you book your cruises?

we booked this cruise a year ago, how about you? That is a different story.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I don't mind at all talking about those subjects, but I certainly don't lead with one of those or initiate conversation with a stranger in the hopes of getting there.  I won't be terribly charmed, either, should someone open with such a subject or should I get the feeling that's why someone started talking to be in the first place.

... LOL, lead me not into temptation...

bon voyage

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

As I advised in the MSC thread, the situation you are talking about is the result of a cruiser who, when advised far in advance of the cruise that that particular sailing had been chartered, refused to take the offers in the notice of a fare refund or moving the booking to a new date (OBC was also offered).

Instead, he insisted that he still be allowed to retain his booking and after MSC then offered an alternate cabin on the chartered sailing, escalated his demands and threats to the point that the cruise line notified him in writing that he would be arrested at the pier if he attempted to board the ship.

Somehow, all the facts of the  story are never included when the poster shows up to routinely bad mouth MSC.

More interesting is the fact that the poster continued to book numerous MSC Yacht Club and proceeds to harangue the on board crew about his grievance.

h - I did surmize that we did not have all of the information to make informed comments on this thread only on the speculation that the information presented was somewhat accurate, but not fully disclosed if known by the OP or not.

bon voyage

27 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

There are two things that interest me here. First, I'm shocked that MSC didn't just try to refund the aggrieved and say "sue us". That would seem to me to have resolved the issue conclusively without the need for armed threats.

Second, this is the first time I've heard of someone on a ship that got charted who retained the cabin through a full charter. Most charters are for specialized groups that aren't of interest to the average cruiser. I suspect it wouldn't be much fun to be on a full charter that features a group that's not of interest. And besides that, the chartering company will want to jack up the prices for the cabins they now control.

Could you lost a link to that thread? Pretty please and thank you.

55 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

How do you know all these details? Maybe we are talking about different instances.

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

How do you know all these details? Maybe we are talking about different instances.

Generally it is always the same person and the same half-story that pops up so it is fair guess, but if you have a different one it would be good to share in an appropriate thread over on the MSC group, it would make a change from the same one each time...

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Could you lost a link to that thread? Pretty please and thank you.

2 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Isabella, we are talking about the same incident.

I and many of the regular posters on the MSC forum know the story because it was an ongoing saga spread across several threads and post over a time period of months.

It has gotten to the point that many of the regulars on the MSC forum will pull the poster up short and tell him to knock it off.

Sorry you got sucked in.

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Isabella, we are talking about the same incident.

I and many of the regular posters on the MSC forum know the story because it was an ongoing saga spread across several threads and post over a time period of months.

It has gotten to the point that many of the regulars on the MSC forum will pull the poster up short and tell him to knock it off.

Sorry you got sucked in.

Thanks for the TL,DR.  It should be sufficient for my needs.  👍  I'll go back into the weeds now.