Fires on Maui any POA reports?

MagnoliaBlossom

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Not a single note or update regarding POA Hawaii cruises on the NCL website. The least they could do is put up a banner newsflash about Maui before final changes/details about itineraries on future cruises are worked out.

Why would there be??? It is a single ship with a yet-to-be-determined alternate itinerary for a few weeks. The changes to this week's itinerary had nothing to do with the fire, it had to do with a hurricane. 

The events this week are devastating. The loss of life is tragic. The loss of historic businesses and hundreds of homes in the Lahaina area is unimaginable. As a part time Hawaii resident, my heart goes out to the people of Maui. 

The Hawaii tourist association is already gearing up to educate the public. While tourists have been asked to temporarily leave the island so that resources can be placed on helping those impacted by the wildfire, the vast majority of the island of Maui was untouched by wildfire. And the rest of the state is still open for business and visitors. 

We see similar things every year during hurricane season. People watch the videos of hurricane devastation of major cruise destinations like St. Thomas, San Juan, BVI, the Bahamas and have a knee jerk reaction that all cursing will stop for years to come. And it does not. As soon as the ports are ready for ships, the islands reopen. The locals are still rebuilding, but they need the tourism dollars to pay for their recovery. For places whose economy is based on tourism, there is a big incentive to reopen. Until then, people are out of work. There is no money to pay for food. There is no money to pay for the utilities. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, omahabob said:

Do you think any cruisers haven't heard about it yet?

Absolutely there are pax on the next few cruises who are oblivious to current events. These are the clueless cruisers who will raise hell at reception when they find out their cruise won't be stopping at Maui. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Absolutely there are pax on the next few cruises who are oblivious to current events. These are the clueless cruisers who will raise hell at reception when they find out their cruise won't be stopping at Maui. 

Just like they do when port calls are cancelled on any other cruise, which is fairly common. That's no reason for NCL to post banner headlines.

• Like 4

"In the event of strikes, lockouts, stoppages of labor, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or any other reason whatsoever, Norwegian Cruise Line has the right to cancel, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary without prior notice. Norwegian Cruise Line shall not be responsible for failure to adhere to published arrival and departure times for any of its ports of call."

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions

We leave on the POA on Aug 26th. We are not expecting to visit Maui and are preparing for that. I have been in touch today with the private tour company we are booked with for one of our Maui tours and they said they are waiting for word from the Hawaii Tourism folks for guidance on how they will proceed. We have travel insurance and are told that missing a port is not something it will cover mainly because the cruise ships just re-adjust their itinerary and something replaces that missing part of the trip. Also, the cruise contract with NCL states that the company can change the itinerary as deemed necessary by the company. 

Cruising on NCL POA on 8/12. I got a call from a non-NCL shore excursion that the itinerary had changed and now we are not stopping in Maui, as it should be. Why should we as tourists stress resources when locals are in dire need. I called NCL customer service several times today and they have no idea on itinerary changes. God bless them, they are taking the brunt on this from NCL customers. Management has TOTALLY dropped the ball on this. ***** NCL management! Can you let the customers know what is going on with itinerary changes? Why am I hearing of changes to the itinerary from a non-affiliated entity? 

God bless all who have been affected by this tragedy, particularly the local population of Maui. My rant pales in comparison to their suffering. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

OMGOsh.. you folks are way too kind. I am touched. Truly.

I spend the summers in Michigan so am fine physically, but I am broken hearted for Maui.

For those wondering about cruise ship stops to Lahaina. I realize you mean no disrespect, but this is apocalyptic destruction. It will likely be years  before cruise ships visit this port again (if ever given that there was a local push to keep cruise ships out of Lahaina prior to the fire). 

It took Paradise, California 2 years before that city returned to some normalcy. It will take MUCH for Lahaina. The challenges of rebuilding on island compared to mainland are significant. Everything must come in by cargo. We can't send caravans of volunteers to help rebuild because there isn't even enough housing  for the Ohana. I can't wrap my head around the ramifications for the West Side just yet but I know that I was very blessed to have experienced Front Street as it was.

What Maui needs now is money. I can't personally verify any of these sites, but please consider showing the residents of Maui some Aloha by donating:

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/how-you-can-donate-and-help-support-maui-communities-right-now/

@BermudaBound2014 so glad to hear you and your family are safe, and my prayers for your friends and neighbors. 

When I worked for RCCL our ships responded to Caribbean hurricanes to help with medical care and rescue / transport of the wounded and displaced. I contacted the Haven pre-concierge desk today to see if NCL was doing something similar and apparently something is being organized with the POA and other NCL land-based operations but no details yet. I would hope as the one US-based home-ported cruise line in Hawaii that NCL steps up to help the community. 

Please keep CC in the loop if there are any ways you know of we as a community can help. 

Warmest Amy

• Like 3

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Not trying to argue here, but do you honestly think a cruiser booked on a near-term POA sailing that's this oblivious to current events regarding Hawaii is going to be tuned in enough to see a banner on the NCL site or check their e-mail?

I mean, I agree, anything's better than nothing, but I can't fault them for holding off on any communications until they know what their plan to proceed is.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

What official notice have you seen that says the cruise won't be stopping at Maui? And why not?

The fire happened in Lahania, on the west coast of the island. The ship docks at Kahului, on the north-central coast of the island and over 20 miles from the fire. Why do you think they would close the entire island?

There are ongoing wildfires in Canada that are so bad that the smoke is blanketing US cities. I haven't seen any announcements about closing Canada to cruise visits.

25 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

What official notice have you seen that says the cruise won't be stopping at Maui? And why not?

The fire happened in Lahania, on the west coast of the island. The ship docks at Kahului, on the north-central coast of the island and over 20 miles from the fire. Why do you think they would close the entire island?

Because they want to make sure all island resources are focused on those who need them most in these early days of recovery. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, IlliniOz said:

Cruising on NCL POA on 8/12. I got a call from a non-NCL shore excursion that the itinerary had changed and now we are not stopping in Maui, as it should be. Why should we as tourists stress resources when locals are in dire need. I called NCL customer service several times today and they have no idea on itinerary changes. God bless them, they are taking the brunt on this from NCL customers. Management has TOTALLY dropped the ball on this. ***** NCL management! Can you let the customers know what is going on with itinerary changes? Why am I hearing of changes to the itinerary from a non-affiliated entity? 

God bless all who have been affected by this tragedy, particularly the local population of Maui. My rant pales in comparison to their suffering. 

How can management drop the ball. The fires started a day ago. You can’t just pull up to a port and say “can I park my ship here?”  You need to pay for a dock, arrange for shore support and security. You need to change contracts with your tour providers. The fact that the have already done this and notified guests is a miracle. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, macewank said:

Not trying to argue here, but do you honestly think a cruiser booked on a near-term POA sailing that's this oblivious to current events regarding Hawaii is going to be tuned in enough to see a banner on the NCL site or check their e-mail?

I mean, I agree, anything's better than nothing, but I can't fault them for holding off on any communications until they know what their plan to proceed is.

There is absolutely no need for a banner for a single ship and itinerary. If you ever have been involved in a change, NCL is very very good with notifying you of changes via email, text and robo calls. If you choose to put fake email addresses and fake phone numbers in your profile, too bad. And the people who need to know have been notified.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Agent999 said:

There are ongoing wildfires in Canada that are so bad that the smoke is blanketing US cities. I haven't seen any announcements about closing Canada to cruise visits.

Aloha. Unlike Canada, Maui is a small island and they need every resource available to assist those in need of medical attention, evacuation and recovery of those lost. Pouring in more tourists whether by ship or air only serves to hamper those efforts. Additionally many hotel workers and tour operators have themselves been affected personally. One hotel with several hundred employees had only approximately 40 show up for their shift. Yes tourist dollars will be important for recovery but in these early days a pause is absolutely necessary. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is absolutely no need for a banner for a single ship and itinerary. If you ever have been involved in a change, NCL is very very good with notifying you of changes via email, text and robo calls. If you choose to put fake email addresses and fake phone numbers in your profile, too bad. And the people who need to know have been notified.

Hello Im here in Waikiki been here since Tuesday when the fires started found out on Wednesday morning waited all day nothing. By the way my cruise is this Saturday. You say a single cruise is not important enough to put a banner on the NCL site or send an email to notify passengers of a possible cancellation or itinerary change and wait for further details.  If you were here wouldn't you like to know.  Its horrible what happened my heart goes out to all the victims and pray they can get their lives back.  I feel sad I wont go to Maui but this is nothing to what happened. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Jess777 said:

Hello Im here in Waikiki been here since Tuesday when the fires started found out on Wednesday morning waited all day nothing. By the way my cruise is this Saturday. You say a single cruise is not important enough to put a banner on the NCL site or send an email to notify passengers of a possible cancellation or itinerary change and wait for further details.  If you were here wouldn't you like to know.  Its horrible what happened my heart goes out to all the victims and pray they can get their lives back.  I feel sad I wont go to Maui but this is nothing to what happened. 

Aloha. Watch channel 4 kitv which is ABC. Also NCL did post and the itinerary update was posted on another banner. We divide our time between NY and Honolulu and regularly visit Maui. What happened was indescribable but NCL has a heavy presence and has made plans from what I have read to alter their itinerary. I guess it took them some time to figure out what to do. I know your vacation is once in a lifetime and I am confident you will be able to enjoy the islands. Wishing you the best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Watch channel 4 kitv which is ABC. Also NCL did post and the itinerary update was posted on another banner. We divide our time between NY and Honolulu and regularly visit Maui. What happened was indescribable but NCL has a heavy presence and has made plans from what I have read to alter their itinerary. I guess it took them some time to figure out what to do. I know your vacation is once in a lifetime and I am confident you will be able to enjoy the islands. Wishing you the best.

Yes they did later Thursday afternoon.  I called 9am that morning to see if the cruise was canceled or of an itinerary change and they told me as far as they knew it was still going out on the 12th no itinerary change. I kind of know we were not going to Maui because of how there was no phone or electrical service in many parts of Maui. Also the lieutenant governor said they are trying to evacuate all the tourists to focus the relief efforts on the residents of Maui. 

Edited by Jess777
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, susiesan said:

Not a single note or update regarding POA Hawaii cruises on the NCL website. The least they could do is put up a banner newsflash about Maui before final changes/details about itineraries on future cruises are worked out.

NCL is always late to the party in making announcements of changes. 
People booked on POA or Spirit should assume Maui stop will be cancelled for several months if not longer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

From a POA social media group. 

IMG_5717.jpeg

Call me not surprised, but interesting. Yesterday from 4 - 5 PM, EST, I was on a call with however many travel agents join NCL's webinars. John Chernesky stated that he was unaware of any itinerary changes and thought there would be no changes to POA's itineraries due to the fires. A sales guy didn't tell the truth? Who woulda thunk it.

Alas, it obviously makes sense to change the itinerary until the full breadth of the disaster is known. I'd expect NCL to not visit Maui for at least a couple of weeks. I'll let the experts with Hawaii, FEMA, and NCL duke it out as to when Pride of America can return to Maui. 

Out of tragedy comes some good - POA is cruising the coast of Napali again! If I were a cruiser, I'd be ecstatic about that change. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jess777 said:

Know what??? 

Until a decision is made to change the itinerary and all of the coordination of change is complete, there is absolutely nothing to tell you. Nothing. 

It is great that they didn’t turn it into two sea days, that would be the easy thing, and they actually coordinated to be in port every day of your cruise. But that takes time. 

There are changes every week across the fleet. You are not special. Sorry. This week’s POA cruise got diverted because of the hurricane. A few weeks ago, another POA cruise missed one of the days on the Big Island because of another hurricane. Cruises to Iceland are missing port calls weekly because the port is not open. Medivacs change itineraries weekly.

Be patient. You know when a decision is made and the coordination is finalized. No sense in giving out bits and pieces and have someone miss something important.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Know what??? 

Until a decision is made to change the itinerary and all of the coordination of change is complete, there is absolutely nothing to tell you. Nothing. 

It is great that they didn’t turn it into two sea days, that would be the easy thing, and they actually coordinated to be in port every day of your cruise. But that takes time. 

There are changes every week across the fleet. You are not special. Sorry. This week’s POA cruise got diverted because of the hurricane. A few weeks ago, another POA cruise missed one of the days on the Big Island because of another hurricane. Cruises to Iceland are missing port calls weekly because the port is not open. Medivacs change itineraries weekly.

Be patient. You know when a decision is made and the coordination is finalized. No sense in giving out bits and pieces and have someone miss something important.  

Well said...

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The Governor has issued a state of emergency and essential travel only thru the end of August. 

Aloha. The governor was just on KITV4 and echoed your comment. I have an available apartment in Waikiki I am making available as needed. Blessings for all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Feeling so very sad for everyone on the island of Maui. We feel very connected to the wonderful people we met there during our visit via POA this June, and have been in contact with some, so we've heard of the impacts directly from them.

I agree completely with the comments related to NCL. Hopefully the company is doing a lot behind the scenes, without fanfare, to support the island and its residents. NCL proudly touts that it is the only cruise line that has a ship devoted exclusively to a Hawaiian islands only cruise. Because of this unique, strong connection to the islands, it would seem wise for the company to publicly take a leading position in contributing to the Maui recovery efforts.

And, absolutely those who are cruising POA need to know ASAP of planned itinerary changes or cancellations. It’s NCL's apparent total silence on this, as if nothing at all has happened, that is most disturbing. @BirdTravels, I respectfully disagree with the position that this isn’t any different from everyday schedule disruptions. What happened on Maui is cataclysmic, at the very least, I feel NCL should acknowledge that, advise passengers that changes may be needed and will be communicated as fully and quickly as possible.

It well may be a delicate balance between wanting to maintain the important tourism revenue stream that POA represents for Hawaii and Maui in particular, versus pulling out entirely to enable focus on recovery. But, say SOMETHING… even if only, “NCL is deeply connected to the Hawaiian Islands and its people, and we are working diligently with local leaders to determine the best way to support the recovery…." 

Edited by mooline
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1