Mardis Gras Western or Celebration Eastern?

1019throw

We've only been on the Conquest 6 years ago alone, and just got off the Legend last month with our 2 kids. We're looking to get into a more modern and larger ship to compare.  Actually, we were planning to try Royal Caribbean and one of their newer ships to see the difference between the lines, but are undecided on that.

Anyway - we haven't been to any of the ports (Western out of Port Canaveral - Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay) or (Eastern out of Miami - Amber Cove, San Juan, St Maarten).  Does anyone have experience on which ports are better and more accessible to beaches right off the ship, rather than having to take a taxi/shuttle to get to the beaches? Also, an opinion on departure port?

You're about equal with beach access for either itinerary.  Cozumel has no direct beach access near the port. You pretty much need to taxi but plenty of options if you do. (Been more times than I can count) Same in San Juan (I haven't been yet. I go in Dec.) From research, The beaches are close but possibly still need to take a taxi. All your other destinations all have beaches or pools at the port. 

either is about equal with beach access. for us, I would lean towards port Canaveral just to avoid Miami traffic. Mahagony bay has beach to walk, costa maya has giant pool to walk to. Cozumel is cab. On the eastern, Amber cove his giant pool walking distance. Other ports are cab. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zuluboudreaux said:

Eastern Caribbean is totally different from Western from our experience.

we prefer Eastern because of the beauty - waters - ports of call.

We live in LA and have been on more Western cruises than Eastern.

We now only book cruises going East.

This!

I think western as more action and adventure, and eastern as more beauty and relaxation. Though you can relax on both, southern is our favorite followed by eastern. We rarely do western routes.

I enjoy both itineraries OP but if I'm flying to Florida I'm sailing east (or south) 3 out of 4 times. One, the destinations are simply more exotic. Two, all those western ports are the staples of any cruise that departs from a Gulf embarkation port to include Galveston, New Orleans and Tampa. Plan your next cruise after this from New Orleans and enjoy the French Quarter. Well worth it. 

• Thanks 1

St Martin also has a beach within walking distance in the downtown area. Leave the ship area and turn left. Follow sidewalk down to boardwalk. 

San Juan is easy to walk around and explore. 2 forts, a hop on-hop off free trolley will take you to both if you don’t want to walk. We like walking along the shoreline on a paved path that takes you to one of the forts.

• Like 1

The French side, St Martin has the clothing optional beaches if that is of interest, although there is at least one on the Dutch side. You can also find some great liquor prices.

I think of Cozumel as the 51st State, but it has some beautiful water and reefs. Taxis night be most plentiful in Cozumel and they all take kickbacks from the beach clubs to recommend one over another.

Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, and where Carnival docks in Cozumel are reasonably secure port areas.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The French side, St Martin has the clothing optional beaches if that is of interest, although there is at least one on the Dutch side. You can also find some great liquor prices.

I think of Cozumel as the 51st State, but it has some beautiful water and reefs. Taxis night be most plentiful in Cozumel and they all take kickbacks from the beach clubs to recommend one over another.

Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, and where Carnival docks in Cozumel are reasonably secure port areas.

Plage Orient on St Maarten is indeed a must do at least once in your life. Leave the prudeness at home and go skinny dip in the Caribbean Sea, you will forever change your mind about Naturism. 

On 8/14/2023 at 4:50 PM, 1019throw said:

Thanks everyone. We ended up booking the celebration eastern itinerary in March!

Great choice.  St Maarten is great since you have the Dutch and the French side, it's like two port stops in one.  Make sure you do a tour that also stops at Maho beach so you can see the planes land. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4ef6A437I

You also have the option to fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale

On 8/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, hard_eight said:

If I was flying in... Miami, Eastern all the way. Spend the night in South Beach, foodie San Juan, Mohagany Bay > Amber Cove. Love the itinerary, especially St Maarten

Speaking of South Beach ... is there a reasonably priced hotel you would recommend?  We have a full day and night pre-cruise and usually stay at the airport area for convenience but this next time (December) we want to try a day of exploring around South Beach.   

1 hour ago, 80sGal said:

Speaking of South Beach ... is there a reasonably priced hotel you would recommend?  We have a full day and night pre-cruise and usually stay at the airport area for convenience but this next time (December) we want to try a day of exploring around South Beach.   

We always stay at The Gabriel in South Beach. It's our go-to every time we're in Miami.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, 80sGal said:

We stayed here:

https://www.hoteltrouvailmiamibeach.com/

And will be going back in November. Great lil chic hotel. 

• Thanks 1