New Tablets

Keith1010

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Are these Apple iPads or some generic tablet device masquerading as iPads?  The photo does not seem to represent any iPad or iPad Pro or iPad mini I have had.  

They are not iPads. I just used the name generically.  They are a tablet.

Keith

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, happy cruising said:

Hi Keith, can you get this same information on your own iPhone so you don’t have to carry around an iPad? Do the iPads have cases? Thanks - enjoy segment 2 of your cruise and thanks again for all this information! 

Right now it's not an app.

We used something similar on Endeavor which we enjoyed.

Keith

2 hours ago, cruise_loverinlaval said:

Hello Keith, I have a question for you, there is an iPad in every room, is there binoculars as well?

enjoy the second segment of your cruise!

I believe so as they put them in every room for the Northwest Passage.

Keith

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Putting tablets in each room is not cheap.

I was impressed to learn that iPads would be distributed.  However, "tablets" are a much different matter and are hardly all synonmous with "iPads."

As for expense:  Many tablets can be had for less than $100 -- some for around $50 (without bulk discount).  This is a fraction of the cost of an entry level iPad.

• Like 2

Why would an iPad be necessary?  Isn't the device in the room basically used for Crystal-related activities such as excursions, menus, daily schedules?  Just about everyone already has their own smart device, so maybe I'm missing something, but what added value would an in-room iPad have?

Edited by skybluewaters
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Why would an iPad be necessary?  Isn't the device in the room basically used for Crystal-related activities such as excursions, menus, daily schedules?  Just about everyone already has their own smart device, so maybe I'm missing something, but what added value would an in-room iPad have?

I entirely agree. I bring my own iOS devices, and any iPad provided would be sitting in a drawer for the duration of a cruise.

I was puzzled that Crystal would be providing iPads in every cabin. However, the discussion thus far has been about the delay in receiving the iPads, the fact of the iPads have arrived, etc.  I imagined that the member posting these posts knew the difference between a tablet and an iPad.  I was impressed that Crystal was buying a top-of-the-line product.  iPads are clearly not needed, and Crystal is apparently not providing them.  

The tablet has a lot of nice features and information.  

It is a Lenovo tablet.

It provides the ability to schedule appointments with the onboard booking/loyalty program host/hostess.

Daily Reflections.

Ship Position

Deck Plans

Weather 

Ship Information

Itinerary

Shore Excursions

Policies

Safety Drill

Senior Officers

Dining including Menus

Public Spaces

Accommodations 

Future Cruise & Loyalty

Guest Services

Bar & Lounges

Wellness 
Crystal Life & Spa

Entertainment Locations

Shopping including list of sundry items you can get from the shops

Dress Code

On Line Newspapers & Media

Ability to Browse the Internet

Movies
Music 

TV Channels

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Right now it's not an app.

Do you mean the information is not available for a phone or computer?  (I am specifically interested in an Android phone app and a Windows computer or generic website access.  iAnything does not provide any benefit to me.)

23 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Do you mean the information is not available for a phone or computer?  (I am specifically interested in an Android phone app and a Windows computer or generic website access.  iAnything does not provide any benefit to me.)

It’s only on the tablet. There is not an app available at this time

Keith

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It’s only on the tablet. There is not an app available at this time

Keith

It was a lot easier to carry the paper version around in my pocket. This sounds good but as a practical matter, not so much. IMO

• Like 2

Hello, on our last Seabourn cruise in June 2023, an app was available on phone or tablet with all the items listed in Keith’s description of the content on the Crystal tablet.  And we received every day in paper format, the schedule of activities for the day plus a plan for the port visited that day with a description of the port.  Crystal will probably adjust to this, specially if their guests ask for it.

4 hours ago, cruise_loverinlaval said:

Hello, on our last Seabourn cruise in June 2023, an app was available on phone or tablet with all the items listed in Keith’s description of the content on the Crystal tablet.  And we received every day in paper format, the schedule of activities for the day plus a plan for the port visited that day with a description of the port.  Crystal will probably adjust to this, specially if their guests ask for it.

That's exactly what happened with Seabourn:  After recently going paperless (and therefore necessitating use of the app for virtually all information), so many passengers asked for the printed  schedules etc. to continue that they have now resumed delivering them each evening to every cabin.  But that only happened because passengers complained/asked that the printed information be resumed. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'll never believe that a Lenovo is clearer than an iPad.  Oh – you mean the thread title!  😉

Thanks for updating the title.

The tablet is off to a good start.  There are things that will be really nice with it including being able to call various personnel easily.  There are a couple of things I think they will need to think through when it's functional such as scheduling appointments with the future cruise consultant/loyalty program people and how that will work.  

A fellow guest who has 50 years in computers tells me he believes for this to be on the tablet it is technically an app that would relate to android. If so, hopefully it will be made available for that and IOS for the smart phones.  But let's see.

Keith

• Like 1