Some HAL entertainment additions to come

Copper10-8

Hi y'all; we are currently on Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska and learned about some entertainment additions to come. This may be old news so, if it is, please ignore it!

HAL will be adding two vocalists to the group of six Step One dancers and is also adding new shows, one of which called "Move," they performed last Monday evening (without the vocalists). Once in place, it will start looking a bit more like the old performance casts of several years ago prior to the introduction of Step One.

Also learned that they are bringing back Lincoln Center Stage for performances, not nightly in the Explorations Lounge, but on the Main Stage, two to three times a week.

These changes/additions will be introduced on the different ships towards the end of this year, and will be completed prior to the start of the 2024 Alaska season

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

On our most recent cruises a BBKing male vocalist was brought onstage to perform one song with the Step One dancers.  The vocalist was extremely talented and definitely enhanced the quality of the show.   I’m glad HAL is making that change.  I hope the vocalists are BBKing quality.  

• Like 4

On our July cruise for 3 weeks on Zuiderdam, they too had the lead singer from BBK sing three songs with one of the Step One Dancers show.  He was very impressive and yes, doing that gave the show a little bit of the feel of the old stage shows from days gone by.  I'll be on Koningsdam in Feb so hoping that this will continue in this way.  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 4

This is progress but does not fix the central problem that there is nowhere on board to sit, sip a cocktail and listen to music soft enough to have a conversation.  I want to be able to listen to something easy before and after dinner.  Perhaps a guitar or a trio, playing at a level that enables conversation.  Frankly, I love a good rock or blues band but we need a softer music alternative as well.

Marilyn

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mjmagee said:

This is progress but does not fix the central problem that there is nowhere on board to sit, sip a cocktail and listen to music soft enough to have a conversation.  I want to be able to listen to something easy before and after dinner.  Perhaps a guitar or a trio, playing at a level that enables conversation.  Frankly, I love a good rock or blues band but we need a softer music alternative as well.

Marilyn

That's happening as we speak here on Nieuw Amsterdam with/by a trio (piano/bass/vocalist/guitar) playing dance music inside the Ocean Bar

IMG_1776.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's happening as we speak here on Nieuw Amsterdam with/by a trio (piano/bass/vocalist/guitar) playing dance music inside the Ocean Bar

IMG_1776.JPG

This was on NA during my cruise last June. We would have a quiet drink and enjoy the music before dinner.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

IMG_1776.JPG

Thanks for this.  Came off Koningsdam a couple of weeks ago and no musical options other than the Rock Room, BB Kings and Billboard Onboard. The above kind of musical option is so needed and what I would expect to find on any cruiseline of HAL's quality.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjmagee said:

When the Adagio Strings and then the Lincoln Center Stage ensembles performed in a lounge, before the dedicated space just forward of the Music Walk was created for BBKing and LCS, groups of passengers with irreconcilably incompatible agendas caused a lot of tension. Some, like this poster, were looking for pleasant background music for their chats. The rest were there to listen attentively and enjoy the music being performed. Even though signs would be posted in the corridor asking for respectful silence during performances, they were frequently ignored. As with so much of today's polarization, neither group could see the other's point of view and make accommodations.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

When the Adagio Strings and then the Lincoln Center Stage ensembles performed in a lounge, before the dedicated space just forward of the Music Walk was created for BBKing and LCS, groups of passengers with irreconcilably incompatible agendas caused a lot of tension. Some, like this poster, were looking for pleasant background music for their chats. The rest were there to listen attentively and enjoy the music being performed. Even though signs would be posted in the corridor asking for respectful silence during performances, they were frequently ignored. As with so much of today's polarization, neither group could see the other's point of view and make accommodations.

Honestly it is a foolish place to hold a  quiet concert, for heaven’s sake it is on a major transit corridor. .  It should be elsewhere and the MainStage is a far better venue.  The MainStage is very underutilized and could host a number of different features and not only at night.  Also on ships with the Wajang theater that is underutilized too and could be a very nice venue for a quiet concert 

• Like 8

On 8/13/2023 at 3:32 PM, Petronillus said:

Well if it is a concert, I understand the request for quiet.  That is not really what I am asking for.  I am asking for a lounge setting with some kind of music at a level that will still allow a conversation.  I don't find this possible in the music walk venues.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mjmagee said:

Well if it is a concert, I understand the request for quiet.  That is not really what I am asking for.  I am asking for a lounge setting with some kind of music at a level that will still allow a conversation.  I don't find this possible in the music walk venues.

I agree.  The whole music walk concept, though entertaining as it may be, does limit socialization.   A little camaraderie goes a long way for an enjoyable cruise.  The only option on current ships is happy hour at the ocean bar when there is live music and the expectation that people are socializing.  The piano bars used to be interactive and fun but now they are just stage performances. I guess you and I are out of fashion. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I agree.  The whole music walk concept, though entertaining as it may be, does limit socialization.   A little camaraderie goes a long way for an enjoyable cruise.  The only option on current ships is happy hour at the ocean bar when there is live music and the expectation that people are socializing.  The piano bars used to be interactive and fun but now they are just stage performances. I guess you and I are out of fashion. 

One generally assumes that music played in a lounge or bar-type setting is generally considered background to the social atmosphere, unless it is specifically billed as a concert (e.g., many years ago, I heard Woody Herman play in a bar. Everyone assumed it was a concert.). Unfortunately, many places now seem to think that all music must be played at top volume, regardless of venue.

Just how many amplifiers are needed for a room that is hardly larger than our living room?

• Like 2

On my northbound Nieuw Amsterdam sailing, there is a vocal group named Major Four on the main stage. Two of the four singers are pretty good, so more like Major Two Mid Two. At least it's something new, and the song selections are more contemporary than just show-tunes.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, mjmagee said:

Don't some of the bars have canned music playing in the background? If you want to talk, rather than listen, isn't that good enough? I don't understand the need for live music as a backdrop for conversation.

• Like 2

I agree @3rdGenCunarder. I often wonder what the musicians think about playing in a lounge like the size of the Ocean Bar and having people talk while doing so.

My husband and I were recently on the NA and there is lots of seating that is not in the small space where the musicians are performing, yet there was 2 tables of about 8-10 people that were just having a grand old time together. Why wouldn't those people sit there and have their party without disturbing the people that were there to hear the music.

I know musicians are used to it, but I just wonder what they think of performing in this type of situation.

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Don't some of the bars have canned music playing in the background? If you want to talk, rather than listen, isn't that good enough? I don't understand the need for live music as a backdrop for conversation.

Some people like to dance 

• Like 1