Carnival Venezia Gangway Issues

matt082600

I have a friend that is currently on the Venezia.  He texted me and told me the gangway in New York is broken and they cannot get off the ship.  Apparently, the coast guard has been called.  I'm trying to get more information. 

On my all of my previous carnival cruises they always had two gangway setup to get of the ship. the other gangway is on deck 2 by the cabins that is always the least crowded 

is both gangways broken or just one? 

8 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

Probably the Coast Guard needs to be notified because they are the regulatory / enforcement agency for maritime law.

Nobody was hurt, not a lot known of what happened.  They have bigger fish to fry

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

Probably the Coast Guard needs to be notified because they are the regulatory / enforcement agency for maritime law.

First off, the gangway is owned and operated by the Port Authority, not a ship, so damage to it is not a "marine incident".  Secondly, since there were no injuries, and the failure was not caused by an accident like an allision, just a mechanical break down, it does not fall under the definition of a "marine incident" that the USCG would investigate.  There is no regulation that says a port has to have a fancy movable boarding ramp to get passengers on and off a ship, so failure of the gangway is simply not an issue for the USCG.  I don't believe they were ever informed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matt082600 said:

Perhaps not.  I was not aboard.  I got that information from a debarking passenger who stated they were told the coast guard was called.

My friends disembarked yesterday and there was no issue with the gangway. Looks to be repaired.

Fair enough, they may not have been notified. However, where I work, I routinely notify USCG for land-based issues that may eventually impact coastal waters, I have seen them pull up in SUV's to check out what is going on. 

• Like 1