The "Straight" of Gibraltar?

jimdee3636

Don't fret about it .... they were offering Goat Cheese sourced from a cow a  couple of months ago  and Crystal had a cruise from Norway to Southampton via the Florida Straits ......... completed in a day.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Don't fret about it .... they were offering Goat Cheese sourced from a cow a  couple of months ago  and Crystal had a cruise from Norway to Southampton via the Florida Straits ......... completed in a day.😄

I knew Crystal walked on water, but that is maybe going a bit too far.

Here’s another tidbit that gives daily chuckles for the discerning. I mention it because it is an age old issue, and one that obviously no one at Seabourn cares to correct.

The deal is that you will find spelling and usage mistakes almost daily in the printed MDR dinner menus. Occasionally too in the MDR lunchtime menus (on the few days when it is open), and randomly on the labels of the buffet items at the Colonnade. And about the Colonnade sometimes what’s on the label is not what’s on offer. But I digress.

The problem, it seems, is that the chef’s are entirely in charge of what the menus say and no one cares enough to edit them at all. Assuming the F&B Mgr or the HD speak English and have a passing familiarity with French cuisine, they could manage the mess. Oh, and please don’t tell me that Seattle is in charge. They obviously are not.

I have not seen truffle, variations of soufflé, Parma without the ham, Caesar etc and other gaffes on other luxury lines, which incidentally have deep menus in their various restaurants specializing in French, Italian, Japanese and other cuisines. With Seabourn’s menus, including the infamous “Comfort Food” which is a serial Colonnade lunch theme you would expect the job to be easier.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I received a marketing email from Seabourn last night offering free air on several “fall foliage” cruises from Montreal/NY.  The first of these “fall foliage” cruises depart Montreal on August 25th.  Do they not realize that August is not “fall”, nor would one see any sign of a colour other than green on the foliage!

57 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

I received a marketing email from Seabourn last night offering free air on several “fall foliage” cruises from Montreal/NY.  The first of these “fall foliage” cruises depart Montreal on August 25th.  Do they not realize that August is not “fall”, nor would one see any sign of a colour other than green on the foliage!

We received that as well and I had to laugh.  We will actually be in NY in August and into early September and don't expect to see any turning of the leaves.  

Yes, spelling and proofreading has been much degraded these days. And let's not even get into punctuation, specifically the apostrophe, especially so close to International Apostrophe Day.

Another amusing one: a different cruise line offered an excursion to a Scotch distillery that was preceded by a bus ride through the Irish countryside.

• Haha 2

It's one thing when, say, your next door neighbor makes a careless mistake about some geographic fact, but when a cruise line makes that mistake it calls into question their competence and their attention to detail. I've seen cruise line brochures state that Portugal is on the Mediterranean (it's not), that Bermuda is in the Caribbean (it's about a thousand miles away from the closest part), and that the ship will travel east from Iceland to reach Greenland (just look at the damn map!). 

When a cruise brochure or website is wrong about one thing, it makes you wonder what else they're wrong about. And that's not what you want potential customers to be wondering about.

Jim

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 8:17 PM, jimdee3636 said:

https://www.seabourn.com/en/us/find-a-cruise/e5m09a/5513-9-day-morocco-the-straight-of-gibraltar

Seabourn also spelled it "Straight" (not Strait) of Gibraltar in a print brochure.

This does not inspire confidence in a cruise line. 

Jim

If it is "straight," should we use the pronouns he/his to describe it?

• Haha 4

Our favorite occurs at the patio grill - “taco” not tacos, just taco.

Then the mystery begins - they may have legitimate taco fills but many time have no taco shells and we’ve seen them substitute tortilla chips instead (at that point haven’t we transitioned to nachos?)

The necessary accompaniments are also seriously lacking - maybe a small bowl of cheese and another small bowl of salsa!  But every single cruise, one day one the menu, the theme is “taco”.

11 minutes ago, LMB01 said:

Our favorite occurs at the patio grill - “taco” not tacos, just taco.

Then the mystery begins - they may have legitimate taco fills but many time have no taco shells and we’ve seen them substitute tortilla chips instead (at that point haven’t we transitioned to nachos?)

The necessary accompaniments are also seriously lacking - maybe a small bowl of cheese and another small bowl of salsa!  But every single cruise, one day one the menu, the theme is “taco”.

No, you have transitioned to nacho.  

My source says....

Navel oranges are medium to large in size, averaging 6-10 centimeters in diameter, and are globular to slightly oval in shape with the trademark “navel” or circular hole on the blossom stem end.

Apparently the hole looks like a navel ..... I wonder why they didn't call them Belly Button Oranges? More to the point do they gather fluff ?😵‍💫

• Haha 1