I booked a cruise out of Miami..

dawgdawg

1 hour ago, dawgdawg said:

for the last week of September - heart of hurricane season.   Am I crazy?

Unlike our house, the ship can get out of the way of hurricanes. Plus you may get lucky, need to divert, delay return to port and get a few extra days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawgdawg said:

All the smart folks that live in South Florida book September cruises to 'get out of Dodge" (Hurricanes). Cruise ships are the safest places to be when a hurricane is about to hit. It is impossible to leave the area. Flights are booked solid and then grounded. The Turnpike and I-95 are turned into one-way heading north and everyone is caught in traffic jams, running out of gas and break downs, etc. Worse mess.

• Like 1

September / October has become our favorite time to cruise. We've had beautiful weather and only once on an October cruise were we affected by a hurricane (Sandy). Even then though, despite the rougher than usual seas, they managed to keep us in the sunshine. We'll be on Seascape 9/10 - 9/24.  My only fear is our flight to Miami being delayed due to weather.

I was married in mid-September, a week in Puerto Rico, and then a week cruise from there. Sailed in September ever since. On that honeymoon cruise, Hurricane Marylyn hit the Caribbean we had multiple ports of call changes. The first time the ship ever called at Trinadad-Tobago.

Has hurricanes impacted my cruise? Absolutely. Have I been in danger? Never!

Mostly reroutes, a Canada cruise went to Bermuda with complaints that people didn't have clothes for it.

The worse was Hurricane Sandy we were supposed to go to Bermuda, left Brooklyn, made a left and a day later were in Boston with two tugs and 22 lines holding us to the pier in 90-knot winds. Ship never lost power, still had food available every 20 minutes. Little issue with entertainment since they couldn't follow their normal schedule the entertainment staff had to get creative.  Was given options to take bus back to NYC or wait until the NYC port opened the ship would 100% return to NYC so my five day turned into 7 day cruise and I got cruise credit for half of what I paid. The biggest problem was the smokers running out of smokes as they couldn't open the shops. Eventually got permission to set up tables to sell that and sundries like aspirin etc. First time Princess went to the Manhattan cruise terminal as Brooklyn pier was underwater (including the entire parking lot) but that Hurricane was the one in 100 years they said. 

So yes I still sail in September in the Atlantic. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

Exactly this. When we were out in Hurricane Sandy, we never felt like we were in danger. The captain and crew kept us advised and when our 7-day turned into an 8-day cruise, the entertainment staff printed out another daily program and it was business as usual. They had closed Port Canaveral so we spent a sea day sailing in circles off the south Florida coast with a Disney and NCL ship.

14 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

All the smart folks that live in South Florida book September cruises to 'get out of Dodge" (Hurricanes). Cruise ships are the safest places to be when a hurricane is about to hit. It is impossible to leave the area. Flights are booked solid and then grounded. The Turnpike and I-95 are turned into one-way heading north and everyone is caught in traffic jams, running out of gas and break downs, etc. Worse mess.

Not here on the West Coast of Florida.  We live here, we stay close to home.

I would hate to be on a cruise ship if a hurricane hit my house, and there was damage, and my insurance company was telling us to secure the house so it doesn't suffer any more damage from rain.  

Last year with Hurricane Ion we evacuated to Ft. Lauderdale (east) no traffic, got a hotel room, stayed for two nights, came back to some water intrusion, which we swept out, cleared debris, called insurance company to get our claim in early.

If we were on a cruise, we'd be worried sick and trying to get in touch with our neighbors who stayed to find out what was going on.

Edited by mafig

41 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

I was married in mid-September, a week in Puerto Rico, and then a week cruise from there. Sailed in September ever since. On that honeymoon cruise, Hurricane Marylyn hit the Caribbean we had multiple ports of call changes. The first time the ship ever called at Trinadad-Tobago.

Mostly reroutes, a Canada cruise went to Bermuda with complaints that people didn't have clothes for it.

The worse was Hurricane Sandy we were supposed to go to Bermuda, left Brooklyn, made a left and a day later were in Boston with two tugs and 22 lines holding us to the pier in 90-knot winds. Ship never lost power, still had food available every 20 minutes. Little issue with entertainment since they couldn't follow their normal schedule the entertainment staff had to get creative.  Was given options to take bus back to NYC or wait until the NYC port opened the ship would 100% return to NYC so my five day turned into 7 day cruise and I got cruise credit for half of what I paid. The biggest problem was the smokers running out of smokes as they couldn't open the shops. Eventually got permission to set up tables to sell that and sundries like aspirin etc. First time Princess went to the Manhattan cruise terminal as Brooklyn pier was underwater (including the entire parking lot) but that Hurricane was the one in 100 years they said. 

So yes I still sail in September in the Atlantic. 

I read this and couldn’t believe the coincidence! We were supposed to be married on Saint Thomas September 30th 1995. Needless to say after they were a direct hit 2 weeks prior other arrangements were made! Still didn’t stop us from moving to Florida and cruising during hurricane season!!! 

• Like 1

Just now, cbfb said:

I read this and couldn’t believe the coincidence! We were supposed to be married on Saint Thomas September 30th 1995. Needless to say after they were a direct hit 2 weeks prior other arrangements were made! Still didn’t stop us from moving to Florida and cruising during hurricane season!!! 

I was a little off as I was reminded by Mrs.Brighton Line.

Married 9/17/95 in NYC, 9/18 flight to Puerto Rico, we actually took off in the leading weather from the Hurricane and flew over it.

We landed and the rain forest was closed for the entire week we were there. The hotel when we arrived had just got power back. Week later on the cruise a lot of the ports were still impacted by the damage and big changes to the ports of call including two full days at sea. We even set sail in the evening and had the mustard drill the next day at 10a while underway. 

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I would hate to be on a cruise ship if a hurricane hit my house

Your statement brings to my mind the immortal words of the other Harry Truman before he was blown away by the eruption of Mount St. Helens “They'll never get me off this mountain,” Truman said that earthquake-filled April of 1980. “Spirit Lake and Mount St. Helens are a part of me -- they're mine. They're as much a part of me as my arms and legs.”

Edited by morpheusofthesea

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Your statement brings to my mind the immortal words of the other Harry Truman before he was blown away by the eruption of Mount St. Helens “They'll never get me off this mountain,” Truman said that earthquake-filled April of 1980. “Spirit Lake and Mount St. Helens are a part of me -- they're mine. They're as much a part of me as my arms and legs.”

I never said I wanted to be IN my house if a hurricane hit.

But you don't have to be thousands of miles away either.

I'd like to be close enough so I can get back to survey the damage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

Married 9/17/95 in NYC, 9/18 flight to Puerto Rico, we actually took off in the leading weather from the Hurricane and flew over it.

We landed and the rain forest was closed for the entire week we were there. The hotel when we arrived had just got power back. Week later on the cruise a lot of the ports were still impacted by the damage and big changes to the ports of call including two full days at sea. We even set sail in the evening and had the mustard drill the next day at 10a while underway. 

Wow! We were suppose to honeymoon on Saint John but obviously that didn’t happen. We ended up at the El San Juan in PR. It was wonderful. We weren’t cruisers yet. That didn’t happen until 2013! 

18 hours ago, dawgdawg said:

We were on the Divina during both Irma and Ian, crazy coincidence, both Captains steered us around the storm, during Irma spent three extra nights docked in Cozumel, during Ian two extra nights at sea, both worked fine for us, had no other commitments, we do live in Florida and do not hesitate to book during hurricane season. Officially hurricane season is June 1 through November 30, who really knows when the “heart” of it is. 

23 hours ago, mafig said:

Not here on the West Coast of Florida.  We live here, we stay close to home.

I would hate to be on a cruise ship if a hurricane hit my house, and there was damage, and my insurance company was telling us to secure the house so it doesn't suffer any more damage from rain.  

Last year with Hurricane Ion we evacuated to Ft. Lauderdale (east) no traffic, got a hotel room, stayed for two nights, came back to some water intrusion, which we swept out, cleared debris, called insurance company to get our claim in early.

If we were on a cruise, we'd be worried sick and trying to get in touch with our neighbors who stayed to find out what was going on.

This is exactly why we moved out of Florida (gulf coast) in 2017.  We felt like we were prisoners to Hurricane season.  Tropical storms in the gulf combined with the astronomical tides would cause flooding in our area.  We were fortunate to only have minor flooding in the house twice…but in November 2020, our old house/neighborhood got 3 feet of water.  And, it wasn’t even a named storm.  

On 8/17/2023 at 9:45 AM, Brighton Line said:

"Mustard drill."  Now, that's funny!😁😉

• Haha 2