updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

As far as I can tell, all other cruise lines other than NCL are not applying any restrictions to passengers visiting Tasmanian ports. What remains is purely between NCL and the state of Tasmania. 

Silversea still requires vaccination for some of their local cruises.  There is a list of them as follows on their website which was updated on 2 October 2023.   I am on 7 December Auckland to Sydney and no vaccination required but the ones after ours below do require it.   We don't go to Tasmania but on looking at the itineraries the ones on this list do.  

The following itineraries require all guests aged 12 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks before embarking on the vessel. Guests must bring proof of vaccination or boarding will be denied.

Silver Whisper

• WH231212016 – 12th December, 2023 - Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand
  • WH231228016 – 28th December, 2023 - Auckland, New Zealand to Sydney, Australia
  • WH240113016 – 13th January, 2024 - Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand
  • WH240129016 – 29th January, 2024 - Auckland, New Zealand to Sydney, Australia

Silver Muse

• SM231221014 – 21st December, 2023 - Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand
  • SM240104014 – 4th January, 2024 - Auckland, New Zealand to Sydney, Australia
  • SM240118014 – 18th January, 2024 - Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand
  • SM240201014 – 1st February, 2024 - Auckland, New Zealand to Sydney, Australia
  • SM240215014 – 15th February, 2024 - Melbourne, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand

If your voyage is not listed above, there are no longer any vaccination requirements.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Oh well, that changes everything.

Lets see what happens to the untested/unvaxxed passengers on Brilliance of the Seas on 25th October. 

We are on this one. I can confirm that we have 2 days in Hobart, no vax or testing required for the cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

We are on this one. I can confirm that we have 2 days in Hobart, no vax or testing required for the cruise.

I received an email from my inquiry regarding Tasmania. They confirmed that Tasmania no longer has any restrictions regarding vaccination. I was told the website would be changed today and I just checked again and there is an update and restrictions are gone. 😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Teachkids2 said:

I received an email from my inquiry regarding Tasmania. They confirmed that Tasmania no longer has any restrictions regarding vaccination. I was told the website would be changed today and I just checked again and there is an update and restrictions are gone. 😊

Just checked the NCL website and it still has vax required for those over 12 if going to Tasmania. Where did you see the update? Thanks.

Edited by ezcruzer

6 hours ago, ezcruzer said:

Just checked the NCL website and it still has vax required for those over 12 if going to Tasmania. Where did you see the update? Thanks.

They updated it on 10/6. Tasmania is no longer on the list, they don’t have any countries listed.

Silversea no longer requires vaccinations for Australia.

Ponant cruises still lists Australia as requiring vaccination/testing.  

The interesting thing is the Tasmanian government website says that they are updating guidelines for cruising so maybe that is why some cruise lines were slow to update their policies.

https://www.health.tas.gov.au/health-topics/coronavirus-covid-19/guidance-and-resources/best-practice-guidelines#cruise-ships

16 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

The interesting thing is the Tasmanian government website says that they are updating guidelines for cruising so maybe that is why some cruise lines were slow to update their policies.

https://www.health.tas.gov.au/health-topics/coronavirus-covid-19/guidance-and-resources/best-practice-guidelines#cruise-ships

No, there is nothing on Tassie's current (or recent) page that points to any restrictions. The guidelines are generic, not covid specific - the way they used to be prior to March 2020.

I am going with the notion that a few cruise lines were ignorant to the changes. All of the RCI & Carnival brands needed all of a couple of days to remove restrictions for Australia, including Tasmania.

1 hour ago, habitatnal said:

What your link says about cruising is - 

Cruise ships

Advice to support safe cruising in Tasmania will align with the AHPPC statement.
Specific Tasmanian operational expectations for cruise ship operators will be published in the near future.

If you click on the link included it takes you to the Federal Health Department website - and to me the pertinent part is this - 

We have shifted to managing COVID-19 consistent with other common communicable diseases, focusing on prevention and management of serious illness, hospitalisations and death.

In this context, the AHPPC considers there is no longer a need for COVID-19 specific recommendations and guidance to apply to the cruise industry.

I just checked "myvikingvoyage" for our Dec cruise.  It still states --

Australia - please ensure you have the following:

1. Dated proof of a negative COVID-19 test to satisfy Australia's cruise travel requirement.
    While there is not a COVID-19 testing requirement to enter Australia, the Australian states included in your voyage have a pre- embarkation testing requirement for all cruise travel.

1 hour ago, 2cruisecats said:

I just checked "myvikingvoyage" for our Dec cruise.  It still states --

Australia - please ensure you have the following:

1. Dated proof of a negative COVID-19 test to satisfy Australia's cruise travel requirement.
    While there is not a COVID-19 testing requirement to enter Australia, the Australian states included in your voyage have a pre- embarkation testing requirement for all cruise travel.

Perhaps contact Viking and let them know there is no such requirement now for any Australian state, that they ended on 23rd August 2023.  You could include this link from the Australian Health Department - Australia Ends Covid Protocols for Cruising

• Like 1

Ponant has updated their website to remove vaccination/testing requirements for Australia.  I guess Viking is the only cruise line that hasn’t gotten the memo.  It looks like China has dropped requirements as well so the chance of anyone going on a cruise with requirements is now very low.

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

Perhaps contact Viking and let them know there is no such requirement now for any Australian state, that they ended on 23rd August 2023.  You could include this link from the Australian Health Department - Australia Ends Covid Protocols for Cruising

We sent the link from the Australian Health to our TA who then contacted Viking.  Response "no change" and "any future changes would be reflected on the Viking site". I wonder if they, like other lines, are slow in updating their sites.  We do travel with a test kit and if those results really are acceptable, no issue.  But if we need to find a test place in Sydney before sailing -- that's the challenge.

Edited by 2cruisecats

7 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

We sent the link from the Australian Health to our TA who then contacted Viking.  Response "no change" and "any future changes would be reflected on the Viking site". I wonder if they, like other lines, are slow in updating their sites.  We do travel with a test kit and if those results really are acceptable, no issue.  But if we need to find a test place in Sydney before sailing -- that's the challenge.

If a test is required by Viking, it would have to be a rapid atigen test (RAT) as there are very few places now open where you could could have a PCR test. Of course hospitals and doctors' clinics will still test their patients. I'm not sure if there is still PCR testing clinics at our airports or not. 

https://www.sonictraveltesting.com.au/order-now/nsw-pcr-travel-test/

This company will do PCR testing for travel. I can't possibly imagine this will be necessary but it's here if you want to set it up for yourself. Should cost you in excess of $100 AUD I should imagine.

I would plan on having some RATs with you (lateral flow tests) so you can take that route; if you need a test at all, that would be the most likely.

I would also think that people on the Viking board would know more about this than us here on the AUST/NZ general board.

22 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I would also think that people on the Viking board would know more about this than us here on the AUST/NZ general board.

Not, if they are not Australian and are believing what Viking is telling them which is not true at all - states included in your voyage have a pre- embarkation testing requirement for all cruise travel.

This was dropped for all states as from August 25th.

I don't know what Viking has planned for testing, but they may well be running their own show anyway.

Currently, it shows that they require all passengers to be vaccinated for all voyages departing up till the end of October. From November 1, they will allow unvaccinated passengers aboard. Other cruise lines just abided by local authorities, Viking is setting their own standards above & beyond.

• Like 1

For all the backlash at the slow response by Australian authorities, it is interesting to see the wording of cruise line health policies. Australian protocols were "owned" by health officials, not politicians and it is interesting how closely they aligned to what the cruise lines still recommend.

Carnival Australia:

Vaccines - Although vaccines are not required, we encourage all guests, 5 years of age and older, to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines, when eligible, and carry proof of vaccination,

Testing - Will test anyone in the terminal that is displaying symptoms, and deny boarding to anyone testing positive,

Masks - Masks are not required on board during your cruise. However, we recommend guests wear masks in public indoor spaces, outdoors when in large congregate events if they’re feeling unwell or exhibiting symptoms of illness.

Isolation - Any guests exhibiting symptoms of illness are encouraged to go to our medical centre. Guests who are diagnosed with contagious illnesses may be required to move to an isolation stateroom until our medical team determines if it is safe to resume cruise activities.

Still recommending what used to be enforced - maybe AHPPC was on point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

For all the backlash at the slow response by Australian authorities, it is interesting to see the wording of cruise line health policies. Australian protocols were "owned" by health officials, not politicians and it is interesting how closely they aligned to what the cruise lines still recommend.

Carnival Australia:

Vaccines - Although vaccines are not required, we encourage all guests, 5 years of age and older, to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines, when eligible, and carry proof of vaccination,

Testing - Will test anyone in the terminal that is displaying symptoms, and deny boarding to anyone testing positive,

Masks - Masks are not required on board during your cruise. However, we recommend guests wear masks in public indoor spaces, outdoors when in large congregate events if they’re feeling unwell or exhibiting symptoms of illness.

Isolation - Any guests exhibiting symptoms of illness are encouraged to go to our medical centre. Guests who are diagnosed with contagious illnesses may be required to move to an isolation stateroom until our medical team determines if it is safe to resume cruise activities.

Still recommending what used to be enforced - maybe AHPPC was on point.

That's pretty much what Regent Seven Seas are saying as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Not, if they are not Australian and are believing what Viking is telling them which is not true at all - states included in your voyage have a pre- embarkation testing requirement for all cruise travel.

This was dropped for all states as from August 25th.

I thought the people on the Viking (or whichever relevant cruise line) board could be more in touch than we are as to the thinking of the cruise line and their specific rules for vaccination and testing. Sounds like the lines are happy to leave some restrictions or hurdles in place regardless of Australia's actual rules at the time of sailing as per Geoff's posts.

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I thought the people on the Viking (or whichever relevant cruise line) board could be more in touch than we are as to the thinking of the cruise line and their specific rules for vaccination and testing. Sounds like the lines are happy to leave some restrictions or hurdles in place regardless of Australia's actual rules at the time of sailing as per Geoff's posts.

Viking well may be leaving some restrictions in place but are not being honest in saying that "states included in your voyage have a pre- embarkation testing requirement for all cruise travel." 

If they are keeping restrictions in place they need to explain why and not blame the Australian states.

• Like 1