No open bar on welcome back party

topaz123

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

One hour before? Good luck with that! Sometimes it takes 20 minutes on a regular basis, then throw in the tsunami of people trying to get this one hour before drink. It's going to be a stampede 🤣

It means that you can get your free drink starting one hour before the VIFP party begins, until whenever you decide to redeem it. It doesn't mean you only have one hour to redeem it. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

It means that you can get your free drink starting one hour before the VIFP party begins, until whenever you decide to redeem it. It doesn't mean you only have one hour to redeem it. :classic_laugh:

Thanks for the info, I have not encountered this phenomenon before 😉 and it doesn't specify that on the posted pic of the letter.

Edited by n6uqqq

I am sure part of the reasoning is there are just WAY too many Diamond and Platinum these days.  There comes a point where there are just too many to try to the same old type of party for.  Not only cost prohibitive, but just too many dang people.

I haven't attend the Diamond Platinum party for a long time for this reason... just too many people and not worth the effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tree.critter said:

. They would avoid all the guests drinks that attend that aren’t this level VIFP, 

We used to have to surrender our invitation like a ticket before we entered to someone at the door.  That controlled most of that problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

I am sure part of the reasoning is there are just WAY too many Diamond and Platinum these days.  There comes a point where there are just too many to try to the same old type of party for.  Not only cost prohibitive, but just too many dang people.

I haven't attend the Diamond Platinum party for a long time for this reason... just too many people and not worth the effort.

You should have seen the rush on the Mardi Gras....two door entrances, pushing ,shoving.....the people in front of me shoved another guest after they thought he was crowding in line. Reminds me of the old cattle drives.....my O my...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TreyB said:

It’s a known fact that someone could offer free turds and there would be a huge line to receive them. If they cut the turds in half people would complain about the size of the turds they were receiving. 😑

I like me a couple of free turds, even sneak them home for the Kids, mmmm

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Sounds like success to me.

Oh it is, sometimes there is a price to pay for success in terms on the amount of people that cruise with them.  As you well know there is only one other alternative, raise the bar in terms of who qualifies. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sailingships said:

We used to have to surrender our invitation like a ticket before we entered to someone at the door.  That controlled most of that problem. 

Yes that is a big part of the issue too.  One Platinum guest will bring like 5 people with them and think that is OK, and nobody is "policing" the door.

Last one I went to (when I said that was it for me), was held in the comedy club.  There was one of the big half round booths with like 7 people in it.  The were all wearing their sail and sign cards around their necks and they were all red and blue except for one Gold and one Platinum.

And they were just sitting back, lounging and acting like they owned the club.  They were demanding drink after drink and the servers.  I watched at least 25 drinks get consumed at that table alone (and it was a party where you could order what you wanted).  Servers would come buy with food trays and they would each grab 4 and 5 of whatever bite they were passing.  Literally we were like 2 tables over from them and almost every time the server left with an empty tray because they cleared off whatever was on the tray.  We got like 2 things offered to us because that was all that made it past their table.

And it is things like THIS that is why they don't do things they way the used to anymore.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, wemjam said:

Bingo, we have a winner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, shof515 said:

does this include milkshakes/specially coffees at java blue?

It might.   I received a coupon for a free drink with my welcome letter for the 2nd of my recent B2B cruises, and I was able to use it for a specialty coffee.  Of course, this isn't the same as the platinum/diamond party drink perk, but it's worth asking.

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

Yes that is a big part of the issue too.  One Platinum guest will bring like 5 people with them and think that is OK, and nobody is "policing" the door.

Last one I went to (when I said that was it for me), was held in the comedy club.  There was one of the big half round booths with like 7 people in it.  The were all wearing their sail and sign cards around their necks and they were all red and blue except for one Gold and one Platinum.

And they were just sitting back, lounging and acting like they owned the club.  They were demanding drink after drink and the servers.  I watched at least 25 drinks get consumed at that table alone (and it was a party where you could order what you wanted).  Servers would come buy with food trays and they would each grab 4 and 5 of whatever bite they were passing.  Literally we were like 2 tables over from them and almost every time the server left with an empty tray because they cleared off whatever was on the tray.  We got like 2 things offered to us because that was all that made it past their table.

And it is things like THIS that is why they don't do things they way the used to anymore.

That is so tacky. I would have had a hard time not saying something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

That is so tacky. I would have had a hard time not saying something.

Trust me, it was all I could do to bite my tongue.  I am a pretty vocal person but didn't want to "embarrass" my husband 😁. Just decided that was the last one for me.  I go to the diamond party where it is usually much better, even at that though we often don't go just because they seem to pick weird times to have it sometimes.

It is things like this... and ordering 10 lobster tails.... and ordering 5 apps, 3 entrees, and 3 desserts.... taking an entire plate full of bacon, etc. that have gotten us to where we are today.  People take issue with Carnival doing different cut backs or changing the way they do things.  But honestly, a lot of this stuff all you have to do is look around at the insanely bad etiquette you see on board sometimes and it suddenly shines a blaring light on why some of these changes go down the way they do.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

Exactly. Add in the all the social media sites that encourage bringing everyone that makes it worse.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Trust me, it was all I could do to bite my tongue.  I am a pretty vocal person but didn't want to "embarrass" my husband 😁. Just decided that was the last one for me.  I go to the diamond party where it is usually much better, even at that though we often don't go just because they seem to pick weird times to have it sometimes.

It is things like this... and ordering 10 lobster tails.... and ordering 5 apps, 3 entrees, and 3 desserts.... taking an entire plate full of bacon, etc. that have gotten us to where we are today.  People take issue with Carnival doing different cut backs or changing the way they do things.  But honestly, a lot of this stuff all you have to do is look around at the insanely bad etiquette you see on board sometimes and it suddenly shines a blaring light on why some of these changes go down the way they do.

I have had to start holding my tongue as well and make a point to not comment on rude and obnoxious behavior or people breaking rules because the sort of people who do these things are also the sort of people who will make a scene when their bad behavior is pointed out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Exactly. Add in the all the social media sites that encourage bringing everyone that makes it worse.   

Sadly it is the world we live in.  Everyone is entitled and cares little for those around them.

How many times do we see it on here.... people ask a question and others jump in and tell them what they "can" do not what the proper, orderly rules are.

Can I go to my room early.... "Sure I do it all the time and they let me"

And... "Here are fifteen ways to smuggle stuff on"

Can I arrive early to the terminal... "Sure I do it all the time and they let me"

And the one that frosts my cookie the worst when actually on board - "They are doing it, therefore I am entitled to also and you can't stop me" (like going to the Plat/Diamond party)

Two cruises back we were in the diamond area out in the main lobby bar area waiting for the ship to clear to disembark and of course sometimes random people would decide to sit down and join us.   A carnival agent would come along and explain they had to wait somewhere else.  I kid you not -  This one couple (and they were older not some young kids) came over and decided to stand there by us.  An agent came along and explained they had to wait somewhere else.  They just stood there.  The agent came back again and explained again why they needed to find somewhere else to wait.  Then a few minutes later I saw the agent speaking to our cruise director, who then came over and politely tried to explain again why they had to move and stood there trying to get them to do it.  This woman literally went off on him screaming - "THESE PEOPLE SITTING HERE ARE NO BETTER THEN ME, and I am going to wait right here and get off this ship when they do!"

I've been in the Diamond line at guest services and had some guy step out of the regular line and literally push his way in front of me and start screaming at the desk agent that he was in line before me and they were going to wait on him first.  My husband (who is normally very quiet and easy going, but I am sure took offense to the guy literally bumping me as he went by and then screaming like that) actually stepped up on that one.  All he did was hold up his sign and sail card (didn't say a word at first) and showed him his sail and sign card (the color) and pointed to the sign over the desk that says "Diamond/FTTF..."  The guy looked confused for a second and then my husband said, when you decide to pay for FTTF or Cruise 40 cruises like I have, then you get to use this line!"

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I have had to start holding my tongue as well and make a point to not comment on rude and obnoxious behavior or people breaking rules because the sort of people who do these things are also the sort of people who will make a scene when their bad behavior is pointed out. 

NAILED IT!!!! And the same people that would be more likely to escalate it from a verbal confrontation to a physical one.

• Like 6