Strange things you've seen

ropomo

11 hours ago, Travelingwithstyle said:

They really could have used this sign in the fancy woman's bathroom.   A Chinese lady had squatted on the toilet bowl to use it.  She left her shoeprints on the seat.  You can't make these things up. 

That’s not unusual in parts of Asia. I quickly learned that one shouldn’t assume a lack of feet under the door meant no one was inside. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, longterm said:

In South Africa, not far from the spot where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet.

They weren't kidding about the baboons; they work the parking lots, and they can be aggressive.

DSC_9660.jpg

We were parked just up from the visitor’s center at that spot near closing time and had the hatchback of our rental car open. A fellow in a van drove by and hollered at us “The baboons are coming—close the boot!” 😂 And indeed they were!

4 hours ago, longterm said:

In South Africa, not far from the spot where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet.

They weren't kidding about the baboons; they work the parking lots, and they can be aggressive.

The SA cross-breeding of a Gibraltar monkey with a Yellowstone bear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, millybess said:

This!  From another thread. But I like the idea 😊

image.jpeg.0504c5ab1b4c2dec00669507b58f2d6e.jpeg

LOL!!  Hey that's me!!   We were talking about hook magnets being so helpful in the cabin.  On longer cruises, I hand wash items in my collapsible wash tub, then roll in towels, then air dry on those hangers.  You learn to adapt.  😉 

Yes...I am strange.  😄 😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL!!  Hey that's me!!   We were talking about hook magnets being so helpful in the cabin.  On longer cruises, I hand wash items in my collapsible wash tub, then roll in towels, then air dry on those hangers.  You learn to adapt.  😉 

Yes...I am strange.  😄 😄 

I love it and I wish I’d thought of it!!  I’m always hand washing things too. This is sooo much better than using the flimsy cord across the shower. I will definitely be testing out our magnetic hooks on our next cruise in January. Thanks for posting it. 😊

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, formernuke said:

I’m confused why not use the provided washers and dryers in the laundry?

In my experience, the dryers have a longer cycle than the washers and are usually full.  So maybe that's a way to circumvent the dryers?  Or maybe they were going to a show and couldn't come back when the dryer finished?  I'm just guessing here, but I'd do the same if I wasn't worried about wrinkles. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, millybess said:

I love it and I wish I’d thought of it!!  I’m always hand washing things too. This is sooo much better than using the flimsy cord across the shower. I will definitely be testing out our magnetic hooks on our next cruise in January. Thanks for posting it. 😊

You are most welcome!  Many years ago I was in the "hang from the cord" system in the shower.  Then I realized there was a better way.  Has worked great for us since then. 

13 hours ago, formernuke said:

I’m confused why not use the provided washers and dryers in the laundry?

The picture I posted was from Royal Carib.  They are cheap and don't have self service laundry.  😉 

And there are some things that even on laundry supplied ships...you just want to hand wash.  

• Like 1

Sorry, no picture (would have been rude) but a passenger on the current cruise wears a seersucker suit every day - pastel colors and today he had a seersucker jacket with seersucker shorts to match. This is a man who is confident in who he is....or he wants attention, can't figure out which.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2023 at 10:59 PM, island lady said:

Yes...I am strange.  😄 😄 

At least you are using magnetic hooks.  In some hotels in China there is a sign by the high wall/ceiling fire sprinkler that says please do not hang clothes here it will cause a flood 🙂

6 hours ago, Murt22 said:

Sorry, no picture (would have been rude) but a passenger on the current cruise wears a seersucker suit every day - pastel colors and today he had a seersucker jacket with seersucker shorts to match. This is a man who is confident in who he is....or he wants attention, can't figure out which.

Had a lady on last cruse who wore what appeared to be the same outfit 9 days in a row. Blue shorts with a yellow top.  Up in Norway no less. 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

At least you are using magnetic hooks.  In some hotels in China there is a sign by the high wall/ceiling fire sprinkler that says please do not hang clothes here it will cause a flood 🙂

I see the "do not hang" X sign near the ceiling sprinklers in every cabin on every RCI ship I have been on as well.  The flooding is a new one.  😉 

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

Had a lady on last cruse who wore what appeared to be the same outfit 9 days in a row. Blue shorts with a yellow top.  Up in Norway no less. 

One of those folks who do a cruise from a carry-on.

You can spot them from a mile away.  And then you see them.  😀

4 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Would have loved to see that on our safari last year.  We had to use the bushes (men AND women)

Haha, we had to use the bushes too.  The Deluxe Loo was at a campsite for the bush breakfast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

One of those folks who do a cruise from a carry-on.

You can spot them from a mile away.  And then you see them.  😀

We will be doing carryons for our next cruise, because we're prefacing our BIE cruise with a 13-day Rick Steves tour in Scotland. When you do a Rick Steves, you have to shlep your own bags, so carryon-size bags are a must.

We've bought "dri-fit" shirts and pants and are going to give them a try on our upcoming river cruise; when we've tested them, we've found that they dry completely in about 5-6 hours. So, using these, I can pack about 5-6 shirts, 2 pairs of pants (that are convertible to shorts), the rest of the usual necessaries, and then wear the single pair of walking shoes that I'll bring. Since the shirts are polo shirts, they'll work just fine for excursions as well as dinners on the ship.

On the river cruise, we'll hand-wash; on the BIE cruise, we'll use the laundry for most things.

We also have a neat clothesline that I bought on Amazon, that doesn't require hooks or clips; we'll use that in lieu of the one supplied in the showers.

So long as we don't go for crazy colors, I doubt anyone will notice that I cycle through my shirts twice or three times, especially since the shirt colors are solids and innocuous. 

Finally, we'll both pack puffy jackets from REI that fold up to a tiny size, plus gloves and caps. It takes some forethought and careful packing, but totally doable.

• Like 4

On 8/18/2023 at 7:12 PM, CurlerRob said:

Ny-Ålesund. 🍺🥌

NyAalesund(36).thumb.JPG.46991906d25d4f110ae1c1fdbb311f85.JPG

Nothing strange about this - there are polar bears in Svalbard.  The is a woman who has a very good Svalbard blog.  In one of her recent blogs she shows a video of a polar bear walking right past her house.  

DON