Ocean balcony, which side to pick?

Looking at doing an ocean balcony for the first time and wondering if its generally better to do one side over the other (port vs. starboard) or if its port dependent or what.  Thanks 🙂

Edit:  we're looking at oasis with western itinerary in Feb

Edited by sarahsentry

In general, Oasis class docks on the starboard side.  Pick a side depending on whether you want to see people on the dock (and possibly the balconies of a ship just yards away) or open water.  We usually choose dockside, but sometimes change it to the open side to have some peace and privacy.  Oasis class can and sometimes does dock on the port side, but most often it is starboard.  There may or may not be a ship next to you blocking your view.  If there are multiple docks at the port you can't really predict what your view will be. 

On any one-way itinerary in a balcony cabin, I think about whether I want morning or afternoon sun on my balcony.   On a round trip itinerary, it doesn't matter.  I'll get the sun both morning and afternoon over the course of the cruise.  There is no way to know or predict how a ship will dock in any given port, so I don't pick a cabin based wanting a certain view while docked. 

Edited to add:  I stand corrected per RoperDK above.  I have been on 20+ cruises, but mostly other lines and not enough on Royal to state there isn't any way to know how a particular ship will dock.  (Going on the Anthem next year to Norway, so I have started to read this board. 😀)

Edited by Joanne G.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Don't book based on what you might see when docking for the Western Caribbean itinerary.

Book your cabin based on the location to what you may want close by once onboard.

For me, who has a problem with motion sickness and my body must be facing forward (like driving a car) when lying in bed, the most important thing is the direction of the bed. Can be a very arduous research project🤩

Something you may wish to consider if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke is which side of the ship has a designated smoking area.  Some have commented that being on deck six starboard over the designated smoking area on deck 5 starboard on Ovation of the Seas is "the worst cabin on the ship."

12 hours ago, Troysers1 said:

Something you may wish to consider if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke is which side of the ship has a designated smoking area.  Some have commented that being on deck six starboard over the designated smoking area on deck 5 starboard on Ovation of the Seas is "the worst cabin on the ship."

On Oasis, the smoking area is on deck 15 port side mid ship.

As for which side to choose (at least for us) it depends on where the sun will be relative to the cabin in the afternoon (the hottest part of the day). We look at the itinerary and route and decide based on which side will have shade in the afternoon for the majority # of days of the cruise, and pick that side.

22 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

On any one-way itinerary in a balcony cabin, I think about whether I want morning or afternoon sun on my balcony.   On a round trip itinerary, it doesn't matter.  I'll get the sun both morning and afternoon over the course of the cruise.  There is no way to know or predict how a ship will dock in any given port, so I don't pick a cabin based wanting a certain view while docked. 

Edited to add:  I stand corrected per RoperDK above.  I have been on 20+ cruises, but mostly other lines and not enough on Royal to state there isn't any way to know how a particular ship will dock.  (Going on the Anthem next year to Norway, so I have started to read this board. 😀)

Just been to Fjords on Anthem ... if you're doing Olden, choose Port side - no question. Been several times and it is sensational !

3 hours ago, allyfree said:

Just been to Fjords on Anthem ... if you're doing Olden, choose Port side - no question. Been several times and it is sensational !

Oh, no! We will be going to Olden, but we are in a starboard cabin. Is it enough of a difference that I should call to see if I can change it?  

14 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Oh, no! We will be going to Olden, but we are in a starboard cabin. Is it enough of a difference that I should call to see if I can change it?  

In Olden, the town comes out to wave farewell, the local pub plays music, the cars all toot their horns, port staff line up and fly massive flags ... it's really lovely to see but you can just watch it on deck .... these were from our port-side cabin on deck 9 .... you'll have an amazing time none-the-less ! The ship does a 360 turn in the fjord as it passes the 7 Sisters waterfall so you won't miss out on that

Old6.JPG

Old7.JPG

On 8/19/2023 at 3:35 PM, smokeybandit said:

It really doesn't matter. It's not something you can plan for except for the one-way Alaskan itineraries.

Agree, Alaska definitely one Cruise that would matter more. About 23yrs ago while doing same 10+ nite Caribbean Cruises, 3-4 times a yr I had it written down, sun side/shade side, Island side/Sea Side. Majority the time Ship Parked same Direction but every so often, nope. Liked pick with the Sun on my Balcony and in the Mornings. Then Started doing same Cabin every Cruise so doesn't matter anymore

Edited by ONECRUISER

8 hours ago, allyfree said:

In Olden, the town comes out to wave farewell, the local pub plays music, the cars all toot their horns, port staff line up and fly massive flags ... it's really lovely to see but you can just watch it on deck .... these were from our port-side cabin on deck 9 .... you'll have an amazing time none-the-less ! The ship does a 360 turn in the fjord as it passes the 7 Sisters waterfall so you won't miss out on that

Old6.JPG

Old7.JPG

Well, most ships dock starboard side in Olden and the 360 turn is in Geirangerfjord but not Nordfjord...

13 hours ago, allyfree said:

That farewell sounds like fun.  I don't think I will change our cabin, but I will make sure we stake out a good place to watch that.    Great pictures!   Thanks for sharing.   We are really excited about this trip.  

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:29 PM, sarahsentry said:

Looking at doing an ocean balcony for the first time and wondering if its generally better to do one side over the other (port vs. starboard) or if its port dependent or what.  Thanks 🙂

Edit:  we're looking at oasis with western itinerary in Feb

Starboard for us

14 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Well, most ships dock starboard side in Olden and the 360 turn is in Geirangerfjord but not Nordfjord...

Did I say which fjord??? I was advising the poster that it happened so they would see the waterfall - their ask was about which side was best 

15 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

It absolutely matters on TAs

Even though I posted that choosing a side mattered on TAs, I've never taken that into consideration for any of my 12 TAs.  10 OV balconies and 2 OV cabins.  I actually don't recall if I liked one side better than the other.

EB TAs = Starboard, Starboard, Port, Port

WB TAs = Starboard, OV Port, Port, Starboard, Starboard, OV Port, Port, Starboard

5 hours ago, allyfree said:

Did I say which fjord??? I was advising the poster that it happened so they would see the waterfall - their ask was about which side was best 

You replied to a question about Olden! Most upcomming Fjord cruises of Anthem do not even stop in Geiranger, only one in May 24..

On 8/20/2023 at 11:39 AM, orville99 said:

On Oasis, the smoking area is on deck 15 port side mid ship.

As for which side to choose (at least for us) it depends on where the sun will be relative to the cabin in the afternoon (the hottest part of the day). We look at the itinerary and route and decide based on which side will have shade in the afternoon for the majority # of days of the cruise, and pick that side.

so for a western Caribbean wouldn't it tend to be half and half?  sun wise?  And good to know smoke wise!