Celebrity Poll on page 1 - What really ticks you off ?

What really ticks you off ?  

327 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote for your top 3 pet peeves

• Increasing cruise fares
    • Increased number of passengers onboard since Covid
    • Chair Hogs or Chair Bullies
    • Reduced Butler Service
    • Paying for Lobster / Room Service
    • Quality of Food / Limited Menu
    • Vaping being allowed
    • E Class Infinity Verandah’s (IV’s)
    • Number of pools and hot tubs
    • Other (indicate in comments)

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

All you have to do is click Unsubscribe at the bottom of one of those emails and they will stop. I clicked on it a few days ago, and none have appeared since.

I did the same a few days ago as they were just ridiculous and overkill.  Have not had any since.  I have no problem with marketing email but sheesh.

• Like 1

Auto-gratuities.There's no transparency over who gets what and how much.

I want to directly tip for good service I receive not top up the wages of someone working in the engine room.

It encourages good service and ambition amongst workers to strive for the better jobs paying tips.

Not a school sports day where everybody gets a medal just for competing.

Pay decent salaries.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Auto-gratuities.There's no transparency over who gets what and how much.

I want to directly tip for good service I receive not top up the wages of someone working in the engine room.

It encourages good service and ambition amongst workers to strive for the better jobs paying tips.

Not a school sports day where everybody gets a medal just for competing.

Pay decent salaries.

Well said.  I would have thought it was going to the person you wanted to recognize but it cheapens the top when you find out it’s getting spread out to others who you didn’t plan on rewarding 

6 hours ago, killaypirate said:

As of now 191 people have voted. 133 chose Increasing prices.

As a percentage of people voting this is 69.6% ( 133 divided by 191 multiplied by 100)

The percentage shown 25.38 is calculated as a percentage of the total votes 524 ( 133 divided by 524 multiplied by 100).  This has the effect of thinking 524 have voted when only 191 people have voted.

To calculate the proper percentage of people voting for each category, in your calculations you need to divide by the Number of voters and NOT the total number of votes.

With almost 200 votes so far,

26% Increasing Fares

25% Food Quality / Menu selection

15% Vaping

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

"directly tip for good service "--- Excellent-- we do that also as well as the Gratuities Included.

IMO---- I believe they introduced the Gratuities Included because too many people were not tipping. In fact, we all know,  and some people reading this probably do , remove the gratuities as soon as they board. They " claim " to do their own tipping or might ( probably) not tip at all. 

Other " big sports " wait until the last night and then remove the gratuities because of some bs excuse.

LOL--- One time I came " that close " to removing the gratuities--- our Waiter, the bum, forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time !! 

I doubt they would have given us a voucher for a complimentary cruise because that is not a serious a complaint as some of the crap being posted now on CC ( no friggin round tomatoes, as an example, can turn into 1382 pages of absolute " I'm not cruzin wit Cebrilty no more ") nonsense.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, killaypirate said:

As of now 191 people have voted. 133 chose Increasing prices.

As a percentage of people voting this is 69.6% ( 133 divided by 191 multiplied by 100)

The percentage shown 25.38 is calculated as a percentage of the total votes 524 ( 133 divided by 524 multiplied by 100).  This has the effect of thinking 524 have voted when only 191 people have voted.

To calculate the proper percentage of people voting for each category, in your calculations you need to divide by the Number of voters and NOT the total number of votes.

All kidding aside, I do understand where you’re going with this so with your way of counting based on 193 votes

77% said Increasing fares

74% said Food Quality / Menu Selection
46% said Vaping

Appreciate the alternate view

3 hours ago, killaypirate said:

Appreciate your understanding of my method. I also think that my way should have a greater impact on X, if anybody bothers to read it.

I assume all cruise lines have social media groups and part of their jobs are to monitor the various sites.

I worked for a major automotive company (T) and they did this religiously as they respected the voice of the customer

The games Celebrity is playing, nickel and diming, canceling entire seasons with no price protection, deceptive advertising, and so on.  They are no longer selling a high quality product as compared to the number of passengers and size of the ships, but a bait and switch and then some, especially for Retreat, without even owning it.  They seem to be spineless, no desire to back-up their changes with rational explanations and roll out, and a tone deafness to common sense even if they want to or must make even more profit per passengers than ever before.  Charge a fair price for the product being offered (and make clear what that is), but don't keep changing the offering and eliminating the ability of their once high ratio to passenger crews' ability to make peoples vacations worth it.  Their ethos has shifted, and they have abandoned guest satisfaction and being competitive with other cruise lines with similar sized ships.  Their goal is entirely and only built around extracting as much money as they can, any way they can invent to accomplish it.  Whether that's stops where they count every dollar as revenue, onboard upsells, Effy and scam art galleries, non-brand champagne, and so on.  It seems that whatever they can think of, they'll do, once someone is booked and, especially, and once they are onboard.  We're at their mercy.  Most of us have gone along with it, chasing a good experience, or rationalizing changes. 

Celebrity has no apparent compass that points toward customer satisfaction, it's neither premium and transparent, nor is it a value proposition.  And, if they were transparent, then probably fewer people would book.  We'd sample somewhere else that is trying to build market share, reputation, and more, motivated out of a desire to become established. 

The result is a kind of sadness, negativity, and if someone take a step back, the discovery that no one can even explain clearly what it is the cruise includes.  Statements like "don't worry," "the app is always wrong," "I get a free bag of laundry because I sailed 80x," and so on.  Celebrity may have once appealed to identity, nostalgia, a positive experience, a favorite bar tender, but all evidence suggests the company just doesn't care. There's not one example anyone has provided among so many threads and posts about cutbacks and what it once was.  Cruises should be convenient, easy to justify and book, easy to enjoy, and easy to look back on as well worth the money and time.  It is becoming anything but.

Celebrity has a chance to change all of this, this new President can come out and talk straight (instead of axe throwing with influencers and crew, and a flown in Captain Kate), their CEO can go on CNBC and thank their customers and shareholders instead of saying we just want to fleece everyone, their shipbuilder can retire and let someone with common sense use their VR studio to realize the Celebrity Suite interior doors lets light in, that the infinite veranda isn't well thought out, their CMO can cut out the false promotions and actually market the experience and product, and more.   And, they could start by restoring the Butler service, adding some functionality to their app and a cordless phone in the room, having a better "included" cookie, actually having the non-alcoholic drinks stocked so the crew doesn't run around looking for them, QC-ing room service, coming clean about whether vapping is allowed or not now and 2 years from now, and so on.  Much of what's complained about is Celebrity's own making, and probably intentional.  But, they have to decide, and so will potential customers.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 5

takes many yrs to biild a good reputation and customer base but much less time to self destruct.. 

yet the money seems to be still rolling in..which is the way the business judges itself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cap_D said:

The games Celebrity is playing, nickel and diming, canceling entire seasons with no price protection, deceptive advertising, and so on.  They are no longer selling a high quality product as compared to the number of passengers and size of the ships, but a bait and switch and then some, especially for Retreat, without even owning it.  They seem to be spineless, no desire to back-up their changes with rational explanations and roll out, and a tone deafness to common sense even if they want to or must make even more profit per passengers than ever before.  Charge a fair price for the product being offered (and make clear what that is), but don't keep changing the offering and eliminating the ability of their once high ratio to passenger crews' ability to make peoples vacations worth it.  Their ethos has shifted, and they have abandoned guest satisfaction and being competitive with other cruise lines with similar sized ships.  Their goal is entirely and only built around extracting as much money as they can, any way they can invent to accomplish it.  Whether that's stops where they count every dollar as revenue, onboard upsells, Effy and scam art galleries, non-brand champagne, and so on.  It seems that whatever they can think of, they'll do, once someone is booked and, especially, and once they are onboard.  We're at their mercy.  Most of us have gone along with it, chasing a good experience, or rationalizing changes. 

Celebrity has no apparent compass that points toward customer satisfaction, it's neither premium and transparent, nor is it a value proposition.  And, if they were transparent, then probably fewer people would book.  We'd sample somewhere else that is trying to build market share, reputation, and more, motivated out of a desire to become established. 

The result is a kind of sadness, negativity, and if someone take a step back, the discovery that no one can even explain clearly what it is the cruise includes.  Statements like "don't worry," "the app is always wrong," "I get a free bag of laundry because I sailed 80x," and so on.  Celebrity may have once appealed to identity, nostalgia, a positive experience, a favorite bar tender, but all evidence suggests the company just doesn't care. There's not one example anyone has provided among so many threads and posts about cutbacks and what it once was.  Cruises should be convenient, easy to justify and book, easy to enjoy, and easy to look back on as well worth the money and time.  It is becoming anything but.

Celebrity has a chance to change all of this, this new President can come out and talk straight (instead of axe throwing with influencers and crew, and a flown in Captain Kate), their CEO can go on CNBC and thank their customers and shareholders instead of saying we just want to fleece everyone, their shipbuilder can retire and let someone with common sense use their VR studio to realize the Celebrity Suite interior doors lets light in, that the infinite veranda isn't well thought out, their CMO can cut out the false promotions and actually market the experience and product, and more.   And, they could start by restoring the Butler service, adding some functionality to their app and a cordless phone in the room, having a better "included" cookie, actually having the non-alcoholic drinks stocked so the crew doesn't run around looking for them, QC-ing room service, coming clean about whether vapping is allowed or not now and 2 years from now, and so on.  Much of what's complained about is Celebrity's own making, and probably intentional.  But, they have to decide, and so will potential customers.  

Wow that was quite a response.

Noticed you’re on the Beyond in March 2024.  Are you staying with that or considering to cancel ?

On 8/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, C4HCG said:

You should have added an option for “nothing” so those of us who are presently happy (having not yet sailed since the changes but have bookings) with the offering. Would give you a balance on the mood of posters but might not be many vote it but would be good to see.

I agree. I had a great time on Summit last month. I noticed none of the problems people are always on here complaining about. Personally, I'm grateful that the cruise line industry, particularly my favorite cruise line, survived the shutdown. if a few cost saving measures have to be made as they dig themselves out of debt, so be it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Wow that was quite a response.

Noticed you’re on the Beyond in March 2024.  Are you staying with that or considering to cancel ?

TBD.  And, still further out in time than any trip/experience we've had planned in advance.  

Edited by Cap_D

5 hours ago, conquesodor said:

I agree. I had a great time on Summit last month. I noticed none of the problems people are always on here complaining about. Personally, I'm grateful that the cruise line industry, particularly my favorite cruise line, survived the shutdown. if a few cost saving measures have to be made as they dig themselves out of debt, so be it.

I completely agree with your assessment.  The cruise industry could have easily dried up and died.  I think we need to be a little bit sympathetic to what it must have took financially to get through the Covid years.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I completely agree with your assessment.  The cruise industry could have easily dried up and died.  I think we need to be a little bit sympathetic to what it must have took financially to get through the Covid years.

esp for LLP and the Execs who still received their salary and stocks.. 

5 hours ago, conquesodor said:

I noticed none of the problems people are always on here complaining about.

if a few cost saving measures have to be made as they dig themselves out of debt, so be it.

Totally agree--- 

LOL--- By reading so many negative posts about the food and an extra few $$ for things that were included in the past , I thought we were the only ones that cruised twice during the winter and never had a problem ( especially with food ) or less than satisfactory service.

I feel better now that there are one or two that agree with me.

However-- I did post and stick by it--- If anyone ( suite passenger as example ) booked with XYZ included in the price, that is what they should receive, or, if there were cutbacks, the price should be adjusted accordingly. 

LOL--- I'll tell ya --- It took a lot of "courage" to post a thread about the friggin Round Tomatoes.

" Hey xyz, I can't come for dinner right now-- I gotta get that " stuff " about them round tomatoes on CC before I forget about it ---------there already are 4823 posts about the size of the lobster tails--- what night was it that the Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time " ??

C'est la vie----- that's life

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Totally agree--- 

LOL--- By reading so many negative posts about the food and an extra few $$ for things that were included in the past , I thought we were the only ones that cruised twice during the winter and never had a problem ( especially with food ) or less than satisfactory service.

I feel better now that there are one or two that agree with me.

However-- I did post and stick by it--- If anyone ( suite passenger as example ) booked with XYZ included in the price, that is what they should receive, or, if there were cutbacks, the price should be adjusted accordingly. 

LOL--- I'll tell ya --- It took a lot of "courage" to post a thread about the friggin Round Tomatoes.

" Hey xyz, I can't come for dinner right now-- I gotta get that " stuff " about them round tomatoes on CC before I forget about it ---------there already are 4823 posts about the size of the lobster tails--- what night was it that the Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time " ??

C'est la vie----- that's life

I am pretty sure I agree with you but you lose me with your cryptic posts - in fact reading again not sure I do 😂

Edited by C4HCG
  • Thanks 1

The charge for the cookies really bothers me most. If the cruise is too expensive, I will not go. As silly as it may seem, the free cookies really enhance the joy of my vacation. I won't pay for them as there is too much free food to choose for , but a fun of losing free cookies will be noticed multiple times in a day.