Departing from YVR to US?

obecalp

On 8/31/2023 at 6:40 PM, FlaMariner said:

even though Global Entry is on my passport

Just for clarity: Your Global Entry info is not actually on your physical passport (more knowledgeable people, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). When you scan your passport or yourself at the kiosk it uses your passport or biometric info to verify your GE status against a central database. This is why some are reporting the need to show a physical GE card to be shunted to the correct queue before any scanning can take place.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Just for clarity: Your Global Entry info is not actually on your physical passport (more knowledgeable people, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). When you scan your passport or yourself at the kiosk it uses your passport or biometric info to verify your GE status against a central database. This is why some are reporting the need to show a physical GE card to be shunted to the correct queue before any scanning can take place.

This is correct. There is no visible notation on your passport that you have GE. It requires scanning your passport and accessing the database to confirm you have GE.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is correct. There is no visible notation on your passport that you have GE. It requires scanning your passport and accessing the database to confirm you have GE.

Or the presentation of the GE card when the passport is not scanned. (or the camera biometrics)

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I was going to click on "like" for this, but then I just decided you, @CruiserBruce and I should just get a room somewhere.

With padded walls, so we don't injure ourselves banging our heads against them?

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not so fast.

There are TWO sets of officials involved.  CBP for immigration/customs procedures and CBSA for security screenings.

So it's not just us surly and slow Americans.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not so fast.

There are TWO sets of officials involved.  CBP for immigration/customs procedures and CBSA for security screenings.

I believe you meant CATSA, not CBSA.  Although I will concur on the surliness meter.

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Canadian immigration is often some of the rudest I encounter around the world. It's weird because the rest of the country is so damn nice. Every time I enter Canada, either by car or by plane, they act like I have some master plan to never leave despite my record showing that I have, in fact, left like 100 times...

(I know Canadian immigration isn't involved in this discussion but...it's true). 

16 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Canadian immigration is often some of the rudest I encounter around the world. It's weird because the rest of the country is so damn nice. Every time I enter Canada, either by car or by plane, they act like I have some master plan to never leave despite my record showing that I have, in fact, left like 100 times...

(I know Canadian immigration isn't involved in this discussion but...it's true). 

Are you a Canadian by chance?

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

Every time, questions about "gifts" - they want their duty.  I guess that they want even more from us Americans than just tourism dollars.

I still remember one time driving into Canada.  I was asked "has there ever been a weapon in this vehicle". To which I responded, "since I purchased this car used, I cannot accurately answer that question".  The agent wasn't pleased with that answer "Do you want me to search this car?"  "You will find no contraband or dutiable items, but you are within your rights to search.  And I have no right to object".  Another five minutes of questions and I was eventually allowed in.

Charming fellow.