Departing from YVR to US?

obecalp

TSA Precheck is a program available in the US. It has no relevance for a departure from Canada.

That said, several airports in Canada have Preclearance offered by US Customs and Border Patrol, including Vancouver. Once cleared, your arrival in the US will be treated similar to a "domestic" flight.

Hope this helps ... safe travels.

Edited by DogLover
Typo error

This info is from personal experience a few years back:

At YVR, you will do security screening and then pass into the USA pre-clearance area where you go through immigration and customs procedures.  There was a fast-track line through security, but it was only for those with Global Entry.  And, you needed to show your GE card to access the line.  Since there is no notation in your passport itself regarding GE, you couldn't just tell the security staff - you needed the card as proof.

Once through security, there were both GE kiosks and regular immigration officers.

As noted, screening at Canadian airports is done by the CATSA.  And the priority lane was for those with GE, not just a Pre-Check designation.

Things may have changed more recently - I have not been through YVR since 2019.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

This info is from personal experience a few years back:

At YVR, you will do security screening and then pass into the USA pre-clearance area where you go through immigration and customs procedures.  There was a fast-track line through security, but it was only for those with Global Entry.  And, you needed to show your GE card to access the line.  Since there is no notation in your passport itself regarding GE, you couldn't just tell the security staff - you needed the card as proof.

Once through security, there were both GE kiosks and regular immigration officers.

As noted, screening at Canadian airports is done by the CATSA.  And the priority lane was for those with GE, not just a Pre-Check designation.

I have slightly more recent feedback in that I went through in late 2021 most recently, but it was the same setup if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Surely that will only work at a US airport? The last time I checked, YVR wasn't one.

Yes   sorry  reading further  down the page it is only USA  airports

The only changes have been how CATSA operate security - recently there are new protocols with less faffing around removing items from bags for Trusted Travelers, but the basics (TSA Pre worthless, but Global Entry and NEXUS are equally valid for flights to the USA) still work the same.

When your renewal comes up for Pre @obecalp look into acquiring NEXUS (if you can conveniently reach the Canadian border or fly through frequently, so that you can be interviewed by CBSA, this gives you the largest set of benefits for the lowest price) or Global Entry (some credit cards will pay for the application and renewal of GE) instead of Pre.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, martincath said:

When your renewal comes up for Pre @obecalp look into acquiring NEXUS (if you can conveniently reach the Canadian border or fly through frequently, so that you can be interviewed by CBSA, this gives you the largest set of benefits for the lowest price) or Global Entry (some credit cards will pay for the application and renewal of GE) instead of Pre.

If you are only going into Canada on an infrequent basis, I don't think NEXUS is the way to go.  The downside is that you have to do two sets of interviews and screenings (USA and Canada) and there is no credit card reimbursement that I know of.  Plus some longer approval/processing time. The upside is expedited entry into Canada and a lower price if paying yourself.

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you are only going into Canada on an infrequent basis, I don't think NEXUS is the way to go.  The downside is that you have to do two sets of interviews and screenings (USA and Canada) and there is no credit card reimbursement that I know of.  Plus some longer approval/processing time. The upside is expedited entry into Canada and a lower price if paying yourself.

I agree there's a certain point where the extra hassle will outweigh the extra benefits - from a southern state and only coming to Canada once in a blue moon, NEXUS is unlikely to be a win for you!

But other than the geographic issue of getting to a far more limited set of locations the actual interview process for me and every single person I know of with NEXUS involved literally just a few moments extra as the CBP and CBSA agents are generally in the same building - often in the same office, or in not-just-my-case-but-many-other-acquaintances-too literally behind the same counter right next to each other so only one of them actually bothers asking any questions (well, to be fair, the CBSA guy did ask me one question: "Do you have any questions for us?"!)

5 hours ago, martincath said:

I agree there's a certain point where the extra hassle will outweigh the extra benefits - from a southern state and only coming to Canada once in a blue moon, NEXUS is unlikely to be a win for you!

But other than the geographic issue of getting to a far more limited set of locations the actual interview process for me and every single person I know of with NEXUS involved literally just a few moments extra as the CBP and CBSA agents are generally in the same building - often in the same office, or in not-just-my-case-but-many-other-acquaintances-too literally behind the same counter right next to each other so only one of them actually bothers asking any questions (well, to be fair, the CBSA guy did ask me one question: "Do you have any questions for us?"!)

I had the same experience, very easy and in same office on the US side of the border.  I also got a credit card reimbursement.  On the other hand, the Nexus interview was at a location closer than Global Entry.

On 8/24/2023 at 6:27 AM, FlyerTalker said:

As noted, screening at Canadian airports is done by the CATSA.

I flew out of YVR last month.  They insist I take off my shoes.  This was the second time it happened, and I find it most irritating.  I'm over 75 so when I go through security at a U.S. airport I can keep my shoes on.  But if in Canada, flying TO the U.S. why on earth would it be different?  Other than total incompetence and a stubbornly contrary bureaucracy.  

3 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

I'm over 75 so when I go through security at a U.S. airport I can keep my shoes on.  But if in Canada, flying TO the U.S. why on earth would it be different?

Because (if you hadn't noticed) you're flying from a Canadian airport and flying in Canada - so it's entirely logical that Canadian rules should apply.

After all, if you're flying from the US to Canada, you'd expect US rules to apply, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

We just (Sunday) flew out of YVR on a 6am flight to Detroit.  The entire process for such as early flight was ridiculous as US Immigration did not even open until 4:45 (the airlines tell folks to arrive 3 hours early which means they would wait 1:45 just to get through the process).   Once was a separate (shorter) line for TSA pre-check at security and we did not need to remove our shoes!  Once through that process we headed for the US Immigration line which had a shorter queue for those of us with Global Entry or Nexus.  Some folks waited so long in the regular line that one man collapsed (it took over 10 minutes for help to arrive).  

In response to another post, keep in mind that, if flying to the USA, you do clear customs/immigration while at YVR!  That extra step does complicated the check-in process but means your flight is than treated as a domestic flight (when it arrives at your US destination).  

Hank

On 8/24/2023 at 9:27 AM, FlyerTalker said:

And, you needed to show your GE card to access the line.  Since there is no notation in your passport itself regarding GE, you couldn't just tell the security staff - you needed the card as proof.

Did I get a card for Global Entry?  I do not have such a thing.

I thought once you got Global Entry the passport was updated?  I've gone thru the Global Entry line several times (Miami, JFK, ATL) and never showed a card and was never asked for a card. Just my passport. 

24 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I thought once you got Global Entry the passport was updated?  I've gone thru the Global Entry line several times (Miami, JFK, ATL) and never showed a card and was never asked for a card. Just my passport.

It's an 'ask at the time you get accepted' thing, but without a physical card you will NOT be allowed into the short lines at YVR - the folks 'guarding' the entry do not scan passports, so you need to display the card before they will let you enter.

I believe you can ask for the card after the fact, but there might be an extra fee to get it now. When you next renew you should be able to get a card without extra charge. I recall several people saying 'back in the day' there was simply a sticker put on the outside of the passport but the cards have been issued for at least a decade, probably a lot longer.

re: @Hlitner Hank's experience, the CBP hours are something I warn people with early flights about constantly! Arriving before 5am is pointless unless you need to check a bag (most airlines demand at least 1 hour preflight to check bags out of YVR); when we fly carry-on out of YVR our ideal day is a 6am flight and arrive on the first SkyTrain (5:11am) as the huge backlog of folks waiting for CBP to open can take a half hour to clear - but then it's super fast. But there's no TSA Precheck at YVR Hank - GE does allow access to CATSAs short line though, IF you have your card to show!

7 minutes ago, martincath said:

It's an 'ask at the time you get accepted' thing, but without a physical card you will NOT be allowed into the short lines at YVR - the folks 'guarding' the entry do not scan passports, so you need to display the card before they will let you enter.

I believe you can ask for the card after the fact, but there might be an extra fee to get it now. When you next renew you should be able to get a card without extra charge. I recall several people saying 'back in the day' there was simply a sticker put on the outside of the passport but the cards have been issued for at least a decade, probably a lot longer.

re: @Hlitner Hank's experience, the CBP hours are something I warn people with early flights about constantly! Arriving before 5am is pointless unless you need to check a bag (most airlines demand at least 1 hour preflight to check bags out of YVR); when we fly carry-on out of YVR our ideal day is a 6am flight and arrive on the first SkyTrain (5:11am) as the huge backlog of folks waiting for CBP to open can take a half hour to clear - but then it's super fast. But there's no TSA Precheck at YVR Hank - GE does allow access to CATSAs short line though, IF you have your card to show!

At the airport, when we entered the Global Entry/Nexus line a staffer said "have your Global Entry Card out!"  We found our cards and had it with our Passports.  Nobody ever ask to see the card, but we did have to clear an automated terminal that used facial recognition.  Assuming you are in the GE system that kiosk flashes a Green Light and than you move on to wait in line for a face-to-face with the US Immigration Officer.  He also never asked to see the GE Card.

Strange that somebody would have Global Entry without having the card (which has proved to be useless).  When we got our original GE they mailed us our photo id card.  When we renewed (after 5 years) they send us a new card.  That card is an official US Government photo id and also has your GE #.

Hank

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

At the airport, when we entered the Global Entry/Nexus line a staffer said "have your Global Entry Card out!"  We found our cards and had it with our Passports.  Nobody ever ask to see the card, but we did have to clear an automated terminal that used facial recognition.  ...

That sounds about right Hank - given the zero risk of someone who does sneak through being able to use the NEXUS/GE kiosk if they do not have their eye-scan in the system, the folks who 'guard' the entry very rarely demand to carefully examine the card. I recall only once where the CATSA person actually took my card and looked at it closely, every other time it's much more casual - a passing glance at the card in my hand and not even always that.

When the "get your cards ready!" verbal warning happens, folks who have one naturally tend to start opening wallets or purses if they don't already have them in-hand. It would be very easy to pretend you have GE just by going through the motions with some other standard size card like a DL and you'd get into the short queue at least 7 times out of 10 - but then you would have a very unpleasant chat with CBP after you were unable to use the kiosk!!!!

Interesting.....very much appreciate the heads up on this.....we are traveling Tokyo to Orlando via Montreal in October......Got a deal on the Air Canada flight but the deal seems to be adding a slight challenge now....LOL. 

We've had Global Entry for several years....and we never (from foggy recollection) received anything in snail mail.  We had our Global Entry number but that was it.

We've never been asked for a Global Entry card (Miami, JFK, ATL) and we've gone to the magic kiosk and received the green light and the slip of paper.

I went online to the Global Entry site and see that there is place to activate the Global Entry card and it shows no card ever being activated for us. 

Caesar gives me the privilege of ordering a replacement card under the reason "never received" and I get to pay tribute of $25 each.....Instead of spending $50 for the cards for the one time experience of transferring in Canada and having the authority figure demanding the card, we will politely flash our passport and Global Entry numbers and see if we can get into the "privilege" line (of which we qualify for and have spent $$$ and time already to be able to utilize)...and if not, we will rot in the "steerage" line.

Fun times.....

Edited by FlaMariner

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

You were mailed one, and you were supposed to register the card after receipt.

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

The GE status is linked to your passport.  But you should have received a card as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Strange that somebody would have Global Entry without having the card (which has proved to be useless). 

I use the GE card as my ID when going through TSA Pre-Check.

Serves as another form of govt ID.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Interesting.....very much appreciate the heads up on this.....we are traveling Tokyo to Orlando via Montreal in October......Got a deal on the Air Canada flight but the deal seems to be adding a slight challenge now....LOL. 

We've had Global Entry for several years....and we never (from foggy recollection) received anything in snail mail.  We had our Global Entry number but that was it.

We've never been asked for a Global Entry card (Miami, JFK, ATL) and we've gone to the magic kiosk and received the green light and the slip of paper.

I went online to the Global Entry site and see that there is place to activate the Global Entry card and it shows no card ever being activated for us. 

Caesar gives me the privilege of ordering a replacement card under the reason "never received" and I get to pay tribute of $25 each.....Instead of spending $50 for the cards for the one time experience of transferring in Canada and having the authority figure demanding the card, we will politely flash our passport and Global Entry numbers and see if we can get into the "privilege" line (of which we qualify for and have spent $$$ and time already to be able to utilize)...and if not, we will rot in the "steerage" line.

Fun times.....

If you connecting from Japan to the US in Montreal on the same day you probably don't even need to worry about.   You don't "enter Canada"  when you get off your flight you follow signs for US transfers.  You will be routed through a separate US border control line just for connecting passengers.  Your checked baggage will automatically be transferred. 

Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto (Terminal 1) have separate concourses for domestic, US and international.  That allows them to streamline international connections in the same way as major airports in Europe or Asia.    

The Calgary airport can be configured in the same way but, but during COVID they reconfigured to combine domestic and international departure gates similar to US airports and never went back.  In Calgary you would have to enter Canada, then go through US customs/security again.

Edited by em-sk
  • Thanks 1

I have GE and have renewed it once and have never received a card - I assumed it was because I'm offshore and am not a US citizen. 

However, I do always travel with a printout of the website page showing my successful application / renewal of GE although I've never been asked to show it.

My GE works fine at the kiosks by either passport scanning or, more often now, facial recognition - I just hope if I need to prove it to get into a GE queue (I'm flying YVR-DFW next year), my printout will be sufficient.