Porter Air to Florida

LHT28

Thanks for the heads up, looks like a great option for us. I just priced our upcoming flights to FLL for October, long booked with Air Canada. Only $12,500 with the return being the day after disembarkation due to the 8AM flight, and two stops to boot. Not even sure if it's Business Class.  As broberts said, they sure don't want cruise passengers ;o)

I priced a September return flight to Fort Lauderdale from Ottawa, and the fare came to only $522.39 pp. Plus the return flight was a 11:10 AM, so quite doable with no need for an overnight.

On the other hand, both flights had two stops, with the outbound flight taking 9 hours, 22 minutes, while the return flight is slightly longer at 10 hours 44 minutes. Ridiculous, particularly as their Ottawa - Vancouver flights take less time, some just over 5 hours.

So we'll keep with our direct flights to FLL on AC, but will definitely consider Porter when we book for our Hawaiian cruise out of Vancouver next year.

36 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I priced a September return flight to Fort Lauderdale from Ottawa, and the fare came to only $522.39 pp. Plus the return flight was a 11:10 AM, so quite doable with no need for an overnight.

On the other hand, both flights had two stops, with the outbound flight taking 9 hours, 22 minutes, while the return flight is slightly longer at 10 hours 44 minutes. Ridiculous, particularly as their Ottawa - Vancouver flights take less time, some just over 5 hours.

So we'll keep with our direct flights to FLL on AC, but will definitely consider Porter when we book for our Hawaiian cruise out of Vancouver next year.

Was this 2024? If not, the direct flights to Tampa, Orlando, Miami, and Ft Lauderdale start in November / December.

57 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Is that next Sept??

Did not think they started  flying to Florida  until Nov

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Is that next Sept??

Did not think they started  flying to Florida  until Nov

I think that the start dates are different than originally announced. The website is allowing bookings as early as tomorrow for FLL and September 1 for MCO.

Screenshot2023-08-24at6_25_33PM.thumb.png.83b01449087e295b047122f19cc4fda7.png

21 minutes ago, Tango99 said:

We haven’t booked ours yet for December. Still looking for direct flights. Anything to avoid YYZ. The schedules might improve in September. 

I see  non stops to /from FLL  in Dec    but later  in the afternoon

depends on your dates

Beats  AA 😉

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I see  non stops to /from FLL  in Dec    but later  in the afternoon

depends on your dates

Beats  AA 😉

Thank you for checking and sharing. If I remember correctly, the “to” works because we like to have 2-3 days safety net to get there. The “from” schedule would mean a 1-2 night stay at the end. That’s the frustration of our capital city - still with only one or two direct flights to FLL a week. And nothing to MIA. Fingers crossed in a week this might change and I’ll be jumping on it! 😎

Even their upgraded fares are not that expensive compared to some other flights that I've seen. I flew Porter back from EWR after a TA last fall - the flight was something like half the price of premium economy on the comparable WestJet flight from LGA, even accounting for paying for 2 checked bags, which were included on WestJet. 

I've not flown on Porter's new Embraer jets, which I believe is what they're using for the long-haul flights (Vancouver, Florida), but on the Dash 8s (which is what is used for all of the short hops), all of the seats are the same, with the first two rows having slightly more legroom.   

9 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I've not flown on Porter's new Embraer jets, which I believe is what they're using for the long-haul flights (Vancouver, Florida), but on the Dash 8s (which is what is used for all of the short hops), all of the seats are the same, with the first two rows having slightly more legroom.   

We are on the Embraer  Toronto to Montreal  in Sept

the first  4 rows have extra space  36"    then they have  several rows  with 34"  then 30 " legroom for the rest

https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/travel-information/seating/map

Our AC direct flights YOW-FLL and FLL-YOW for late January were booked some months ago, before Porter announced its flights to Florida. AC later made a major change to the itinerary, with the outbound flight departing at 6:15 AM instead of 5:05 PM and the return flight departing at 10:50 AM instead of 11:45 AM. While the return flight time was doable with self-disembarkation, we normally prefer nothing earlier than noon, but were ok with 11:45. But the big problem was the 6:15 AM outbound flight, as we are in our mid-70's and not willing to get up in the wee hours of the morning to start what is meant to be a relaxing holiday. Due to the major nature of the itinerary change, we were able to cancel and get a refund.

We then turned to Porter, and now have direct flights to and from FLL, the outbound flight departing at 4:45 PM and the return flight at 4:30 PM. Perfect times for us, and we're saving over $650 too for comparable service and seating. 

• Like 5

I hope their new service to Florida is better than their service within Canada. Last week our son was scheduled to fly from Halifax to Ottawa and his flight was cancelled at the last moment and rescheduled for 2 days later. He had to rebook an Air Canada flight and a hotel room.

In both March and August our daughter and baby were flying from Ottawa through Toronto to Windsor. In March she was forced to spend all day at Billy Bishop because of delayed and cancelled flights. In August a similar situation arose however that time the connecting flight from Toronto to Windsor was rescheduled to the next morning with an unexpected overnight stay in Toronto with a baby.

We have flown with Porter from Windsor to Toronto and from Windsor to Newark NJ with no problems. However at the moment I am looking for other options.

My cruise goes out of Tampa in January - never cruised out of there before.  Porter now flies there but from Ottawa it is 3 flights (via Billy Bishop and Boston). Out of Montreal it is 2 flights (via YYZ).  Not yet sure what we’ll do - being winter then I am worried about connecting flights.  We had been planning on flying AC out of Montreal non-stop but the downside is that all they fly to Tampa is Rouge.

• Haha 1