Porter Air to Florida

LHT28

47 minutes ago, thon said:

My cruise goes out of Tampa in January - never cruised out of there before.  Porter now flies there but from Ottawa it is 3 flights (via Billy Bishop and Boston). Out of Montreal it is 2 flights (via YYZ).  Not yet sure what we’ll do - being winter then I am worried about connecting flights.  We had been planning on flying AC out of Montreal non-stop but the downside is that all they fly to Tampa is Rouge.

I don't know the specific date you are planning on flying to Tampa, but in January I see a YOW-YYZ flight departing Ottawa at 12:55 PM getting you into Pearson at 2:15 PM, then a direct flight from Pearson to Tampa departing at 4:30 PM. I don't know why a search for Ottawa to Tampa doesn't generate this combination instead of the 3 flights via Toronto and Boston. My arbitrary date was January 24, and your actual date may have different results, but it might be worth checking out.

40 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't know the specific date you are planning on flying to Tampa, but in January I see a YOW-YYZ flight departing Ottawa at 12:55 PM getting you into Pearson at 2:15 PM, then a direct flight from Pearson to Tampa departing at 4:30 PM. I don't know why a search for Ottawa to Tampa doesn't generate this combination instead of the 3 flights via Toronto and Boston. My arbitrary date was January 24, and your actual date may have different results, but it might be worth checking out.

Of course you’re correct.  And my flight out would be on Jan 23.  Porter has those same flights on both days.  But, when I put YOW-TPA into Porter’s search engine these flights don’t pop up which is odd as they are a good fit (if I want to go through YYZ!) so something else to keep in mind.  I still have concerns flying during the winter with connections as if the first flight gets delayed or cancelled and the next flights that day are full, waiting until the next day may be problematic considering my cruise leaves the next day.  And with the CDN exchange rate I really don’t want to go down earlier and have to book 2 nights in a Tampa hotel.  We just booked the cruise on Friday so really just starting to look into travel arrangements.  I much prefer FLL!

• Like 2

All these posts seem to seriously reflect the opinion there will be a pilot strike.  If negotiations open in Sept....then talks...then more negotiating....it could be a shutdown in Nov.  That will affect me.  So glad I hopped on the Canadian forum.  Didn't know this was in the works.  I'll take others advice and check out 'options'.

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

All these posts seem to seriously reflect the opinion there will be a pilot strike.  If negotiations open in Sept....then talks...then more negotiating....it could be a shutdown in Nov.  That will affect me.  So glad I hopped on the Canadian forum.  Didn't know this was in the works.  I'll take others advice and check out 'options'.

We have an AC flight book at the end of November, not even worried about it 

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

While some may be looking at Porter because of the strike possibility, we cancelled AC and booked with Porter because AC changed our direct flight to FLL from 5:05 PM to 6:15 AM. We're too old to get up in the middle of the night to start a relaxing holiday.🙄

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While some may be looking at Porter because of the strike possibility, we cancelled AC and booked with Porter because AC changed our direct flight to FLL from 5:05 PM to 6:15 AM. We're too old to get up in the middle of the night to start a relaxing holiday.🙄

Just checked...we don't have the option with Porter from YYZ for a non-stop....Delta/WJet prices are out of sight.  AC seems to have lots of open seats on our outbound flight...guess people aren't taking a chance on a pilot strike and looking elsewhere.  We've had our flights changed once, wouldn't surprise me it will happen again (or no flight at all if this labour dispute isn't sorted out). Pricing on Porter is higher than AC with a charge for bags etc..so less included is more $$ and longer travel day.  Maybe a flight out of Detroit will work better than Toronto for us.

image.png.e1c05c9ecd3455db57a383712e182ad2.png

image.png.e22ac6d64be1a9bbc5e09569b0b44ba9.png

Edited by Oceangoer2

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Flying to Florida I would only take a direct flight 

Absolutely....just showing what you get for what you pay.  So if AC goes on strike during our Nov. flights, the options are few and will cost more.  Anyway, DH says we can always drive if necessary.

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Just checked...we don't have the option with Porter from YYZ for a non-stop....Delta/WJet prices are out of sight.  AC seems to have lots of open seats on our outbound flight...guess people aren't taking a chance on a pilot strike and looking elsewhere.  We've had our flights changed once, wouldn't surprise me it will happen again (or no flight at all if this labour dispute isn't sorted out). Pricing on Porter is higher than AC with a charge for bags etc..so less included is more $$ and longer travel day.  Maybe a flight out of Detroit will work better than Toronto for us.

image.png.e1c05c9ecd3455db57a383712e182ad2.png

image.png.e22ac6d64be1a9bbc5e09569b0b44ba9.png

Direct YYZ - FLL flights on Porter start Nov 30. 

47 minutes ago, Dancer Bob said:

Thinking more in terms of overhead bins and if larger bins makes the cabin feel more cramped.

Porter is flying the E195-E2. According to Embraer the E2 cabin bins are large enough to allow storage of a standard carry on for each passenger. Porter simply says the overhead bins are spacious, https://www.flyporter.com/en/about-porter/our-fleet/embraer-e195-e2.

We will have to wait for a user report, @LHT28 🙂.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:20 PM, LHT28 said:

Starting in Nov.Dec  you can fly to Florida  with Porter

https://enjoy.flyporter.com/new-destinations/index.html?dest=florida

I hear you...I've noticed that about Air Canada, try to get an early flight (like they used to have, ie, 7am..ish....nope.....I know....better to fly in the day before....but ALWAYS delayed....I was delayed 4 hours going to Austin recently...they offered NO compensation...if I didn't have a credit....I would NEVER EVER use air canada ...even this once more.....but i have to if i want to use the credit....terrible, terrible service...Air Canada should be ashamed of their service...

Edited by abby1257

20 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

.I've noticed that about Air Canada, try to get an early flight (like they used to have, ie, 7am..ish....nope

I guess it all depends on where you are flying from. Our problem was quite the opposite, AC switched our flight to FLL from 5:05PM to 6:15AM, far too early for us. We cancelled and booked with Porter with a much more civilized 4:45PM flight.

• Like 1

Oh I'm happy to have found this thread. We have never flown Porter before but we are now considering it. Has anyone here had much experience with the airline? We are frequently frustrated enough with Air Canada/Westjet that we just end up driving down to Fort Lauderdale (especially now that AT isn't flying there I was thinking that would be the case again this year)...

41 minutes ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

Oh I'm happy to have found this thread. We have never flown Porter before but we are now considering it. Has anyone here had much experience with the airline? We are frequently frustrated enough with Air Canada/Westjet that we just end up driving down to Fort Lauderdale (especially now that AT isn't flying there I was thinking that would be the case again this year)...

Not that I'd promote AT over Porter, but they are still flying to Fort Lauderdale.

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not that I'd promote AT over Porter, but they are still flying to Fort Lauderdale.

I know they weren't for a while -  their customer service told me that as of April 1 they had cancelled a lot of their Florida routes for November 2023, but it seems they are back - although they are not operating on dates that work for me. Still, the prices are high for AT. 

18 minutes ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

I know they weren't for a while -  their customer service told me that as of April 1 they had cancelled a lot of their Florida routes for November 2023, but it seems they are back - although they are not operating on dates that work for me. Still, the prices are high for AT. 

I'm not sure why, but AT flight to FLL out of Montreal are 7 days a week, but out of Toronto are only 4 days a week. And AT doesn't fly there Thursday or Friday, inconvenient for cruisers with weekend departures. I'm sure Porter with be happy to accommodate them! 😇

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'm not sure why, but AT flight to FLL out of Montreal are 7 days a week, but out of Toronto are only 4 days a week. And AT doesn't fly there Thursday or Friday, inconvenient for cruisers with weekend departures. I'm sure Porter with be happy to accommodate them! 😇

And I'll be happy to let Porter accommodate me LOL. 

• Haha 1

Checked Porter for Nov. 19 date...they fly from Toronto on Sunday only it seems with a stop in Montreal for a loooooong layover.  Won't work for us.  Also not much is included in their airfare and more expensive.  We haven't had any problem with AC and the only concern this time is a potential strike.

46 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Checked Porter for Nov. 19 date...they fly from Toronto on Sunday only it seems with a stop in Montreal for a loooooong layover.  Won't work for us.  Also not much is included in their airfare and more expensive.  We haven't had any problem with AC and the only concern this time is a potential strike.

Porter direct YYZ - FLL flights don't start until November 30.

Porter and AT code share, https://enjoy.flyporter.com/2023/air_transat/index.html.