Connection time MIA, international to domestic

CPT Trips

At least two hours, maybe more. Miami is a nightmare. I flew first class from Costume to Miami with a 2 1/2 hour connection with Global Entry and TSA pre check and still almost missed my flight! Its a disaster!

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Was it any easier connecting domestic to international?

It is somewhat easier national to international - luggage is checked through and no immigration.
Accept the transfer time the ticket allows. If the flight is very late, you simply come on the next flight. Even with Global Entry you luggage might not get to you domestic flight in time.

Miami just seems super inconsistent to me. I don't clear immigration in MIA very often, but when I do I have seen the two extremes (even with Global Entry). I remember once coming off the same flight (GRU-MIA) at the same time on the same day of the week within the same month, and it once took me just a few minutes, and once took me like 45 minutes (not including checked bags). 

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

My concern connecting domestic to international is there is no “next flight” for 24 hours

AA might have alternative routes - despite transfer time always a risk of cancellations or long delays. But plan your travel to allow for a 24 hours delay.

I would look at an alternative route. I've done that Miami route international to national a number of times and its always bad. Doesn't matter what time of day. And the signage to even get to Global Entry is bad. 

Miami is horrible.  Plan 3 hour layover at least. If you make it through fast, relax with a drink or grab a bite.  Last time for us international to domestic had long lines at Global Entry and Mobile Passport.  Then we had to collect our luggage, drop it off and go through security.  The security line was SO long that we were in line 45 minutes before we even reached the luggage drop off point for connecting flights.  Then AA changed the boarding gate from when we first checked the board upon arrival.  When we found the right gate, our flight was long gone.  We stayed at airport hotel ($$$) as there were no flights until the next morning.  At least it was on the way home.

I flew first class from Cozumel to Miami, and my luggage WAS THE LAST OFF THE PLANE!  The very last pieces!  They switched the luggage carousels, too-from one side of the room to the exact other side!  After rechecking my luggage, when I was going thru TSA Precheck, someone had a purse with a long chain handle.  They didn't put their purse in a bin, and the handle wound up in the scanning machine rollers, and broke the machine.  It took them over 40 minutes to fix it, and they would not let anyone go to another line (how stupid is that!) I got no lunch on my flight or at the Miami airport, and (I was planning to, or buy food to bring on the plane), and had no time to do either.  All they had on the plane were Biscoff cookies and a soda, and no option to buy anything.  I BEGGED for a second package.  When I got to my gate, running, they were boarding the second to the last group.  Naturally, there were no more flights that night  to Hartford.  There never are.  To fly to or from Cozumel or Cancun to Hartford, just about every flight has 30-40 minute connections, and there are no other flights if you miss your connection.  How can they even sell a 30 minute connection?

10 hours ago, sambamama said:

To fly ... from Cozumel or Cancun to Hartford, just about every flight has 30-40 minute connections, and there are no other flights if you miss your connection.  How can they even sell a 30 minute connection?

If they sell a 30-minute connection, it's because most passengers will make it most of the time.

However, that's a big "if". I'd be interested to see any examples of a 30-40 minute connection from either Cancun or Cozumel via Miami to Hartford. I'd put a little money on there not being any, because the airline wouldn't sell them.

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

However, that's a big "if". I'd be interested to see any examples of a 30-40 minute connection from either Cancun or Cozumel via Miami to Hartford. I'd put a little money on there not being any, because the airline wouldn't sell them.

AA sells ONE connection through MIA from Cozumel to Hartford.  Connect time is 1:35.

AA sells a couple of connects from Cancun.  One has a connect of 1:35, but all the others are 3 hours or longer.

I'm calling "hyperbole" on this one.

33 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I'm calling "hyperbole" on this one.

AA's published Minimum Connection Time for CUN-MIA-BDL or CZM-MIA-BDL looks like it's 1:35.

So I might put a little more money on there being no "30-40 minute" connections available on these itineraries. The booking engines simply won't offer them, let alone allow you to book them.