Britannia broke her lines

kalos

7 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I hope there are no full-time wheelchair users ashore; it will be a nightmare for them, and in some cases impossible, to get back on board using a tender.

We won't need a tender they are going to Dock at the terminal we are all waiting at 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I hope there are no full-time wheelchair users ashore; it will be a nightmare for them, and in some cases impossible, to get back on board using a tender.

Or people who need certain medication throughout  the day .

The times I have thought "We will be back in plenty of time to take it "

Memo to self  ..Take it with me ,take nowt for granted "

Great to hear the ship is going to dock back in port as well .😀

• Like 9

We are on this cruise and have been in the terminal since 1pm local time. The storm hit town about 11am . We were walking and were  about half way into town. Got soaked. The poncho sellers in town did a roaring trade. Saw a few trees uprooted and people lucky not to get killed in town as we saw large pieces of masonry fall from the roofs/verandas of the shops in the main Ramblas area. 
IMG_4851.thumb.jpeg.391c2dc0d3199b4ff785cb82fd3cd462.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

27 minutes ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

We are on this cruise and have been in the terminal since 1pm local time. The storm hit town about 11am . We were walking and were  about half way into town. Got soaked. The poncho sellers in town did a roaring trade. Saw a few trees uprooted and people lucky not to get killed in town as we saw large pieces of masonry fall from the roofs/verandas of the shops in the main Ramblas area. 
IMG_4851.thumb.jpeg.391c2dc0d3199b4ff785cb82fd3cd462.jpeg

Looks pretty destructive and thanks for posting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some waterspouts with all that turbulence, lightning, wind and rain.

Edit: just to keep those affected posted, the ship appears to be moored in the same place at this time. 🤞 she sets sail towards you soon!

Edited by GSPG
  • Like 3

We were told Britannia was expected alongside at 3.30pm . Britannia still at anchor . Just been told now expecting that ship will be alongside at 4.45pm. I fear chaos in the restaurants when we get back aboard. It’s dry outside but still a bit breezy. Ferries have been going in and out and aircraft landing and departing ok - I wonder if there has been some damage that is causing the delay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Vessel finder says that Britannia is underway, so hopefully she’s making her way back to port 

I really hope I’m wrong, but my end it still has the spot and suggests the ship is still stationary?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

According to Marine Traffic she is underway and has two tugs helping her.

That’s Fantastic!

Vesselfinder my end still has it stationary. I must be on dial up still!

Edit again. Closed the vesselfinder window, opened it again and now up to date!

Edited by GSPG
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, cardiffmatch said:

She’s on her way back in to port with orange tugs fore and aft - not sure if they are for guidance, propulsion or some other purpose but have been with her ever since the incident.IMG_5896.thumb.jpeg.802e20cd99e5eb9ce01243153b85f237.jpeg

Glad it sounds like everyone is ok.

There will be a lot going on onboard at this time. Only once alongside can a full inspection can happen therefore tugs are a sensible precaution.

It will have taken time whilst the bridge run through the berthing procedure for a terminal that wasn’t planned.

As for why going out to anchor - it was safer than trying to hold position. They will have needed time to replace the lines and check their equipment. At sea, they can drop anchor rather than rely solely on thrusters.

The F&B staff will be getting ready for a deluge of passengers.

As for the cause, the lines if too slack don’t hold the ship, if too tight they can snap. So they are tightened to the right tension based on weight & weather. It seems that a sudden gust/gusts in the storm.

Edited by molecrochip
Corrected tender to anchor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6