Maybe live New York to Iceland on Saturn 30/08-13/09

uktog

So we have just been advised of an itinerary change. Tomorrow was to be a sea day then a call at L’Anse but their jetty got damaged in a storm last night. 
Unlike our previous Viking experience where calls got cancelled and nothing else was put in place Viking have done well and got us into Sidney tomorrow then we have a sea day. As it’s a holiday weekend they can’t fix tours but that’s ok by me. Very happy they were responsive to the cancellation 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, uktog said:

The rule is they can only have one bar open on each level whilst in Canadian waters. From the daily I can see no impact except on Deck 7 where they are using all the bats but at different times 

Thanks for the info.  I can officially say I've learned something new today. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I will be interested in seeing what happens on our sea day as we’ve technically one more Canada stop after then

First todays daily papers

IMG_1683.thumb.jpeg.d5e6aa050131ed325f46e33e11d55ea4.jpeg

We have been to Halifax and Peggy’s Cove before but on that trip apart from the Titanic graves we missed the town. 
So we booked the included hop on hop off bus tour. Great tour on old fashioned London route master buses. A 90 minute circuit without getting off or as in our case we got off once at the beautiful public gardens. (I plan, I had a wet weather itinerary involving the Maritime museum.). Loved the live bus commentaries from local guides no wonky ear pieces to battle with

The main gates of the garden are only unlocked if a member of the UK Royal family visits. I had my Charles it’s his birthday but no he still has to go through the side gate 😂

IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.5c81a535a40bc4e85499823aeed2ecc7.jpeg

The gardens are traditional Victorian so has to have an iron fence, a bandstand and paths wide enough for two ladies in crinoline dresses to walk together. 
IMG_1695.thumb.jpeg.6785be2a3fbb8613cc1d8ce0aa4b74b4.jpeg

They must also plant traditional flowers - the bees love the dahlias 

IMG_1693.thumb.jpeg.a4ef38a2f7af69a40575361c50ccec4c.jpeg

And how cute to see a red squirrel not the nasty greys. This one was very tame 

IMG_1700.thumb.jpeg.89cfaf42662e9f6b7e3b3215e572cc0f.jpeg

We got off the bus the stop before the end enjoyed the Boardwalk, stopped for local

beer and lobster rolls and just soaked in the wonderful weather. 
IMG_1704.thumb.jpeg.1f9f806d4ac0ed7371bc2a363d45ae48.jpeg

IMG_1707.thumb.jpeg.586dfa814b0608ca64f1124709204a2b.jpeg

Now back relaxing onboard we love this part of the ship. The bar staff are attentive but not hassling you all the time shouting Bar Service. 

13BFD094-375A-49E6-99E0-1172B5783974.thumb.jpeg.a5f7e8c68918144c6ebe54f520328edd.jpeg

Thank you for the very nice photos of Halifax.  We are vacationing several kms. south of you and after 3 weeks of on and off rainy weather, today was a gorgeous day.  I'm glad you got to enjoy it too.  

• Like 1

Last night we had our special dinner in Manfredi. The food was very good the service was slow but they recognised that without prompting and wanted us to rebook again which we did. 

They brought DH a lovely cake which was a nice surprise 

IMG_1713.thumb.jpeg.9a250e42d72ca84004842160d023285e.jpeg

Unfortunately they hadn’t checked his record onboard- it contained nuts. At least he didn’t try it before I spotted it. A bit of an own goal by Viking but they were quick to offer something else. 

This morning we’ve pulled into Sydney behind Celebrity Summit. Still waiting clearance but a beautiful morning for outside breakfast 

IMG_1716.thumb.jpeg.fee74c0c3d9cb8bc99143847dac5f8d6.jpeg

We are impressed at how many outside nooks there are to sit in 

• Like 8

Today’s daily program 

Disembarkation delayed as Celebrity Summit is having problems tying up ahead of us. Very pleasant sitting on Deck 8 waiting patiently  Nice to see no one crowding near the exit point

IMG_1718.thumb.jpeg.28aeddde12faba8b6fa75af757cd58aa.jpegIMG_1719.thumb.jpeg.bf893778e4d1a7b0612ec0271d1811a5.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Last night we had our special dinner in Manfredi. The food was very good the service was slow but they recognised that without prompting and wanted us to rebook again which we did. 

Unfortunately they hadn’t checked his record onboard- it contained nuts. At least he didn’t try it before I spotted it. A bit of an own goal by Viking but they were quick to offer something else. 

This morning we’ve pulled into Sydney behind Celebrity Summit. Still waiting clearance but a beautiful morning for outside breakfast 

Sorry about the error on the cake.  It's so good that you spotted it in time!  I hope you were able to enjoy some of it, because it looks fabulous.  Really enjoying your updates and pictures so far.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Sorry about the error on the cake.  It's so good that you spotted it in time!  I hope you were able to enjoy some of it, because it looks fabulous.  Really enjoying your updates and pictures so far.

We had two on our cruise last month-it was fine but prefer the old cakes with fruit rather than the new one which is mousse with a cookie base. I suspect they can hold longer than the fruit topped ones. #firstworldproblems😂

IMG_7669.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

We had two on our cruise last month-it was fine but prefer the old cakes with fruit rather than the new one which is mousse with a cookie base. I suspect they can hold longer than the fruit topped ones. #firstworldproblems😂

IMG_7669.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

I didn’t test it. I felt if DH could taste his cake it would be rude to pile in 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

IMG_7669.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

Yummy.  We had a fruit-topped one for DH's birthday on our last cruise and another for my birthday on the same cruise -- for that one they were out by a couple of months lol.  Yes, very good and we shared both with the housekeeping staff and they thought it was quite a treat!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:29 PM, SJD117 said:

We are confirmed tea drinkers (I’ve always detested coffee, just can’t drink it). Each time we begin a cruise we ask our stewards to bring a kettle to the room. They’re always happy to help — but I do wish the rooms were prestocked and that we didn’t have to ask.

We ask for a kettle too.  The steward says just run water through the coffee maker or order tea from room service.   Noooo not the same. Makes only one cup at a time, takes too long.  So we insist.  Wish cups were bigger in room.  I wish more special room requests could be made on MVJ.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, uktog said:

Viking delivered the same cake to our room in July for my Big No. 70 birthday! I recognize the design and the frosting -- even the fruit on top.

The best part: We didn't want to eat all of the cake, so we gave most of it to our two lovely room stewards. They reported back that the cake went into the crew mess or equivalent, where it was promptly devoured. So the Viking crew members have a sweet tooth just like ours!

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 4

Can you bring your own kettle? I finally bought an American one this year, because American hotels only ever have the ubiquitous coffee maker. It was so nice having a proper jug and all getting our teas at the same time! I know that no tea or coffee makers were allowed on Azamara, but it seems you are allowed on Viking?

5 minutes ago, QueenP said:

Can you bring your own kettle? I finally bought an American one this year, because American hotels only ever have the ubiquitous coffee maker. It was so nice having a proper jug and all getting our teas at the same time! I know that no tea or coffee makers were allowed on Azamara, but it seems you are allowed on Viking?

I sincerely doubt it. Just ask your steward for one when you board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

IMG_7669.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

Gotta say, the fruit one looks even better!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QueenP said:

Ok thanks, that's annoying as I want it for the rest of my holiday which will be on land! But I get why.

There are certain prohibited items you can bring and they will hold them for you until you disembark.  On one cruise, we brought on a surge protector that we had been using for a land trip and they kindly stored it for us during the cruise.  

• Like 2

Sydney was a lovely stop. We did a boardwalk wander. Came across a beautiful memorial to Merchant Seamen during the WW2 convoys highlighting how Sydney played a roll in this with significant sacrifice. 

IMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.e1955063606ffafe85b34eca5a58288c.jpeg

We walked back to the craft market beside the Big Fiddle. It was very impressive and lovely to meet the crafters. Genuine Cape Breton crafts - mainly woollen, jewellery especially beads and wood - great to see no Chinese tat passing itself off as local produce. 
IMG_1723.thumb.jpeg.4910628cfd68626887e5535ad49ade24.jpeg

What’s there not to like about a Viking afternoon tea - we skipped lunch to enjoy that. 

IMG_1730.thumb.jpeg.74636ec7d807f6408e2cbb916e36d11c.jpeg

We were unable to go to the Cruise Critic get together, nice Viking hosted it but it clashed with dinner. Shame it couldn’t have been on a sea day. 

In the evening we had what for us was our first Viking fail, the headline flown in specifically for you entertainer, a guitarist called Paulo Schianchi. It did nothing for us, it was advertised as Bach to Beatles to pop and rock. Nothing played was recognisable to many, I don’t doubt the talent of the player on these electronic instruments but it just hit the wrong spot. We were told about special feats we would see but he performed none unless it was so subtle I missed them. Maybe I was looking for something different…..I was not alone. The post show elevator conversation was all “well what was that about …”

The classical offerings onboard are excellent and varied and we do enjoy Sashas late night playing in the Atrium 

• Like 5

I'm so glad you enjoyed Sydney.  That's just one of the great things above Nova Scotia -- it's hard to find anything that's not made in Nova Scotia 🙂

On our cruise in May/June there was a guitarist in the Explorer's Lounge whose name was John.  He played the guitar and his accompaniment was his iPad playing many different instruments.  Most people enjoyed it.  DH and I felt "what's the point".  But the cellist and the piano player in the Living Room were really amazing and made up for what we felt was a lack of entertainment in the EL.

Great to hear from you and please keep your photos and posts coming.  Enjoy!

5 hours ago, uktog said:

What’s there not to like about a Viking afternoon tea - we skipped lunch to enjoy that. 

How were the scones?  There were reports from a few earlier sailings - I'm looking at you, @Clay Clayton 😉 - that they were different and not as amazing.  Wondering if you found them to your taste/liking?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Sydney was a lovely stop. We did a boardwalk wander. Came across a beautiful memorial to Merchant Seamen during the WW2 convoys highlighting how Sydney played a roll in this with significant sacrifice. 

IMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.e1955063606ffafe85b34eca5a58288c.jpeg

We walked back to the craft market beside the Big Fiddle. It was very impressive and lovely to meet the crafters. Genuine Cape Breton crafts - mainly woollen, jewellery especially beads and wood - great to see no Chinese tat passing itself off as local produce. 
IMG_1723.thumb.jpeg.4910628cfd68626887e5535ad49ade24.jpeg

IMG_1730.thumb.jpeg.74636ec7d807f6408e2cbb916e36d11c.jpeg

We were unable to go to the Cruise Critic get together, nice Viking hosted it but it clashed with dinner. Shame it couldn’t have been on a sea day. 

In the evening we had what for us was our first Viking fail, the headline flown in specifically for you entertainer, a guitarist called Paulo Schianchi. It did nothing for us, it was advertised as Bach to Beatles to pop and rock. Nothing played was recognisable to many, I don’t doubt the talent of the player on these electronic instruments but it just hit the wrong spot. We were told about special feats we would see but he performed none unless it was so subtle I missed them. Maybe I was looking for something different…..I was not alone. The post show elevator conversation was all “well what was that about …”

The classical offerings onboard are excellent and varied and we do enjoy Sashas late night playing in the Atrium 

We’ve been to Cape Breton Island twice, mostly to hear the island’s acclaimed fiddle music along the Ceilidh Trail. Nothing can compare to sessions with folks like Ashley MacIsaac and Natalie MacMaster — musicians at the top of their craft. 

Hopefully Viking will skip the electronic stuff on future Nova Scotia cruises and host a few fiddlers on the ships!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

New to Viking - besides getting your hair done, can you get your nails done onboard?

Yes, but you can't book that ahead of time.  I always book a 50 or 80 minute massage and then change it to nails once onboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

How were the scones?  There were reports from a few earlier sailings - I'm looking at you, @Clay Clayton 😉 - that they were different and not as amazing.  Wondering if you found them to your taste/liking?  

Well to this Brit brought up to learn to bake scones with grandma I’d say they were pretty good. A little more butter in the mix and they’d be perfect. They were light years ahead of the Azamara door stops served on Onward on our last cruise 

• Haha 3