What changes to Celebrity groups are coming?

LadyBerard

22 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

In the future yes, does not look like Celebrity will allow TA's to have all inclusive group rates anymore, just room only.  They can book you an AI rate but from what I saw posted it looks like only will be at prevailing rates. To me all celebrity is doing is throttling a channel where more than 60% of there bookings come from, Travel agencies, and hoping more for people to book with celebrity directly, or online thru there site.  And we all know how great celebrity is in IT and customer service when calling.  

And oddly enough, CLIA data shows the number of Gen X and younger cruisers use a travel agent significantly more than their elders. They have some work to do to adequately service that sector. 

IMG_1385.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

And oddly enough, CLIA data shows the number of Gen X and younger cruisers use a travel agent significantly more than their elders. They have some work to do to adequately service that sector. 

IMG_1385.jpeg

Travel Advisors as in an actual person? or does self-service OTA (online travel agents) also consider "travel advisors"? I booked through OTA a few times but I will never use a travel agent if I don't have to. 

As a late millennial, I would try to avoid "the middlemen" as much as possible. I consider myself well-travelled and tech savvy enough to do my own researches and evaluate my all my options, then booking everything I need myself. I absolutely HATE working with travel agents or any agents through the phone. I consider them obstacle when I need to book something through another human being. 

I haven't booked a single flight not directly with an airlines for at least 10+ years (expect one time I was booking a private jet that I need to go through an agent/broker), dealing with a travel agent is a huge pain in the arse compare to dealing directly with the airline on scene, especially during last minute cancellation/delay/rebooking. The online self-service tools these days can do most if not more and better than most travel agents can do.  

I book 99% of my hotel rooms directly unless the saving is significantly outvalue my loyalty perks (only valid when booking direct) or I get a credit card rebate which my Amex offers me every now and then, e.g. spend $800 get $150 credit, etc. 

Here come the cruise industry. 
While booking flights or hotels directly, very rarely a travel agent could provide me a better price these days. Hotels, occasionally but I lose out on all loyalty perks, e.g. free breakfast, lounge access, room upgrades, etc. When it comes to flights, never a good idea to not book directly. 

For some reasons, the cruise industry still strongly relies on third party travel agents as their main sales channel. Even adding them as the middlemen (taking a cut of the profit), many travel agents can still offer me a better price and overall values than booking directly with the cruise line. I suppose it's mainly due to the demographic and historical reasons. For example, I booked my Caribbean Cruise on the Summit last November, booking through an Online travel agent (Air Canada Vacation), I managed to save over $600 on the room + some extra OBC on top of the Aeroplan point I would not be able to earn if booked directly. 

Same goes to my upcoming cruise on the Edge, booking directly was $8876.00, booking through Air Canada Vacation was $8466.90 for the exact same room and perks. 

Not to mention the 25.4k Aeroplan miles, depending on valuation, worth about $350-$500 

While I am deeply disappointed about all the cutbacks Celebrity has done lately, and I am unlikely to return for the same reasons. Shifting away from relying on third party agents is a welcoming change for me if they can offer competitive pricing and value (expect that's not actually the case). 

Edited by leyland1989
wordings
  • Like 1

re; TA FIT challenge...

If most TA's are similar to the ones I have used, this policy should be short lived as many of them are just about as voracious as some of us here... LOL

So, I expect that will not last long, if at all.

bon voyage

8 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

re; TA FIT challenge...

If most TA's are similar to the ones I have used, this policy should be short lived as many of them are just about as voracious as some of us here... LOL

So, I expect that will not last long, if at all.

bon voyage

DING! DING! DING! 

You were so right.  It looks like that's already been (quietly) changed since Monday. I actually looked it up because I thought I was losing my marbles when I read the same link today.

On Monday, with New Rule:

Screenshot2023-08-28at3_06_51PM.png.86142c9dc7765e198f1e7279a037a5de.png

Today, with Newer, New Rule:

Q.13 Will group bookings be able to enjoy an All Included pricing package option? Yes, starting October 4, 2023, newly created group pricing will include Classic Drinks and Basic Wi-Fi amenities.

Q.14 Will I have an opportunity to add All Included pricing to my unnamed group bookings? Starting October 4, 2023, newly created groups will include our updated All Included offering of our most popular amenities: a Classic Drink Package and Basic Wi-Fi. From August 29, 2023, through October 31, 2023, existing groups will be eligible for the original three amenities (Drinks, Wi-Fi, Tips), provided the space within the existing group is named by October 31, 2023. From November 1, 2023 forward, existing unnamed groups will be converted to our new group standard pricing, which will include the updated All Included offering of a Classic Drink Package and Basic Wi-Fi

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

DING! DING! DING! 

You were so right.  It looks like that's already been (quietly) changed since Monday. I actually looked it up because I thought I was losing my marbles when I read the same link today.

On Monday, with New Rule:

Screenshot2023-08-28at3_06_51PM.png.86142c9dc7765e198f1e7279a037a5de.png

Today, with Newer, New Rule:

Q.13 Will group bookings be able to enjoy an All Included pricing package option? Yes, starting October 4, 2023, newly created group pricing will include Classic Drinks and Basic Wi-Fi amenities.

Q.14 Will I have an opportunity to add All Included pricing to my unnamed group bookings? Starting October 4, 2023, newly created groups will include our updated All Included offering of our most popular amenities: a Classic Drink Package and Basic Wi-Fi. From August 29, 2023, through October 31, 2023, existing groups will be eligible for the original three amenities (Drinks, Wi-Fi, Tips), provided the space within the existing group is named by October 31, 2023. From November 1, 2023 forward, existing unnamed groups will be converted to our new group standard pricing, which will include the updated All Included offering of a Classic Drink Package and Basic Wi-Fi

This needed to be done, in general the Monday rule was more going to stop TA's from being a supportive channel for Celebrity.  No way Celebrity website and Customer Service would be able to handle the Reservations, even tho we know how great their IT and Call Center can be......ie that last part is pure sarcasm.  

Hopefully find out more later today as I believe the TA's have a webinar today at 415 with Celebrity concerning these changes.  Hopefully more clear info for moving forward

Edited by bikerunner

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

This needed to be done, in general the Monday rule was more going to stop TA's from being a supportive channel for Celebrity.  No way Celebrity website and Customer Service would be able to handle the Reservations, even tho we know how great their IT and Call Center can be......ie that last part is pure sarcasm.  

Of course it needed to be changed.  My point is, why is this corporation operating so haphazardly seemingly about most everything right now.  It's not a good look.  

21 hours ago, BCHappyGal said:

Wow - what is X doing???  And we are soooo close to Zenith too -- willo make it in March...  unless we cancel 

You will be able to book Aqua cabin at cruise only rate and use all your Zenith perks , it is a bonus for you 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

45 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

So is there still no gratuities and OBCs with the group rates?  If so that would mean another Celebrity money grab in the 1k+ ballpark.

No gratuities. OBC is separate from All Inclusive and always fluctuates based on a number of things like incentives to TA’s that the customer never sees. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

No gratuities. OBC is separate from All Inclusive and always fluctuates based on a number of things like incentives to TA’s that the customer never sees. 

OK.  I thought that there was something yesterday about them not allowing extra OBCs to be included with the group rates?  Perhaps I misread or misunderstood a post, or perhaps it changed?

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  I thought that there was something yesterday about them not allowing extra OBCs to be included with the group rates?  Perhaps I misread or misunderstood a post, or perhaps it changed?

The included Retreat OBC is gone. Flatly saying no OBC on group rates would require reworking the entire group sales concept which is huge for TA’s.  Not saying that it wouldn’t happen, but it didn’t happen today. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

😅 Same, same.  Kind of like a drunk crashing from one wall to another (and burning in the process). So be it. 

Celebrity needs some adult supervision...

Edited by NMTraveller

14 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You will be able to book Aqua cabin at cruise only rate and use all your Zenith perks , it is a bonus for you 

You're assuming that the Aqua Class rates with no perks will decrease after implementation.  The skeptic in me says they won't, at least not to the level of the cost of the perks.  But yes, we can use our perks and pay less than non-Zeniths.  That's also assuming that the Zenith perks will remain as is.  Unsubstantiated discussion on another board indicates that next year they will be blending the Royal and Celebrity loyalty programs.  And of course Royal's perks are not as good as Celebrity.  Their highest level only gets a discount on beverage packages, and free internet for one device only - definitely another cut for us IF that happens.  I finally made Zenith last year after 20+ years of cruising and more than 75 sailings.  It would just be my luck that when I finally get there they change it.  Yes, I sound negative.  Don't know how else to sound with all the changes of late