Only 1 of 2 cabins was upgraded

saticoypm

23 hours ago, saticoypm said:

I originally booked 2 cabins side by side...1 for us and the other for my (adult) daughter and her friend.  As we get closer to the sailing date, Princess has "upgraded" my daughter's cabin to a different floor.  My TA was unaware Princess did this and cannot do anything, as the sailing is sold out and there are no more cabins available.  This will be a big inconvenience being on different floors.  Any suggestions?

We had the same thing happen in Jan 2023 on the Sky however they claimed that both rooms got upgraded but in fact were not (to us)

We were side by side on deck 17 near Retreat pool but one of us got moved to 14 and the other to 9.  Per the rate structure, these were upgraded rooms but in fact, we felt like they were downgrades as we were no longer side by side and the new rooms were much lower on the ship (deck 9 was just above the life boats).

This soured us tremendously on Princess and have booked Celebrity instead for Jan 2024 and Jan 2025.  Princess doesn’t seem to be able to guarantee your pre selected room regardless of what you try to do (including stating no upgrades)

Just because they say you got an upgrade, it’s likely the same type room on a different floor.  And you’re no longer side by side

I would call and request they go back to your original booking

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
19 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

That doesn’t work as people think

Surely if you say no auto-upgrade you won't get upgraded... have I got that wrong?

24 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

We had the same thing happen in Jan 2023 on the Sky however they claimed that both rooms got upgraded but in fact were not (to us)

We were side by side on deck 17 near Retreat pool but one of us got moved to 14 and the other to 9.  Per the rate structure, these were upgraded rooms but in fact, we felt like they were downgrades as we were no longer side by side and the new rooms were much lower on the ship (deck 9 was just above the life boats).

This soured us tremendously on Princess and have booked Celebrity instead for Jan 2024 and Jan 2025.  Princess doesn’t seem to be able to guarantee your pre selected room regardless of what you try to do (including stating no upgrades)

Just because they say you got an upgrade, it’s likely the same type room on a different floor.  And you’re no longer side by side

I would call and request they go back to your original booking

It looks like this is a Pattern for Princess.  We were also side by side on deck 17, conveniently by the pool.  My daughter's cabin was moved to the 14th floor.  My TA has tried getting the original room back but Princess is saying the rooms are sold out.  Why wouldn't they just have moved us both?  Why only "upgrade" one room?

2 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Have to disagree, it would confuse the "muster station" arrangements.  God forbid if there was an accident, the wrong family might be notified of such.

I would absolutely clear it with Guest Services and have my change recorded and noted.  

Not sure how you came to this conclusion about my post.  Of course you need to clear with GS.  Have to get Medallions reprogrammed to open the correct cabins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

They may not care with respect to who wants to be in which cabin but they certainly will need to be informed because the passenger lists at each muster station would then be wrong and would need updating. You can't just switch cabins and not tell guest services.

Of course.  Again, I don't understand how you come to an apparent conclusion that I was advocating doing this without GS involvement.  That is not possible due to need to re-program Medallions and get cabin accounts aligned properly. 

5 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Have to disagree, it would confuse the "muster station" arrangements.  God forbid if there was an accident, the wrong family might be notified of such.

I would absolutely clear it with Guest Services and have my change recorded and noted.  

Many will find this to be "trivial" but I believe you are correct that it is something to be absolutely sure about letting them know who is where.

19 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

When there are room changes, Princess will note the folio and everyone will know where all passengers are.  Plus they have the medallion tracking everyone.  This is a long shot alternative.  I'm sure, in the long run, not being next to each other is not really an issue.

On 8/28/2023 at 4:37 PM, Thrak said:

Doesn't always work. We had a cabin that my wife selected for a specific reason. We were "upgraded" 3 times before I finally sent a note directly to John Padgett. I kept having to get my TA to get the original cabin back. The original booking was marked "No Upgrade" and each time they moved us and we got moved back it was again marked "No Upgrade". Frustrating. The note to JP finally resolved the issue and I received a phone call and an apology from Princess for messing with my booking repeatedly.

Quite a few years ago I was livid to find our mini suite had been upgraded…until I realized, as we were heading to it, that our new cabin was an aft/stern suite!  We would have been happy to never leave it!  I’ve booked one for the 2005 LA - Alaska round trip and hope all goes well for us between now and then!  It’s a long way away…Lois

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 6:55 PM, saticoypm said:

Why wouldn’t Princess come up with this plan? Do I have to suggest it to my TA?

Short answer -- yes. Do it pre-embarkation. A very old experience (circa March 2020 but no idea why it couldn't still be accomplished). We were switched. I had my CVP work on it and whomever was put in our rooms (note plural) were given our upgrades and we were 'downgraded' to original side by side rooms again. Super important to me bc I put the kids in 1 room while I stay next door. Took a few days

When we book we always request "no upgrade"  Once on Carnival,  when we arrived at the pier to check in, we were told by one of their agents, "that Carnival had wonderful news, we were being upgrade to a higher class."  

I immediately asked it we were being upgraded to a suite.  At that point the agent called over a supervisor who admitted it was still a balcony cabin.

We refused and were told that we had to take the upgrade.  

It led to a standoff for 20 minutes, until Princess gave our old room back to us. 

When we contacted our travel agent, after the cruse,  to ask what had happened, she told us "... that Princess had contacted her and told us we were being upgraded to a suite.  She wanted to surprise us."

P.S.  We always check and recheck our cabin to make sure that such "upgrades" do not occur.  

11 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

When we book we always request "no upgrade"  Once on Carnival,  when we arrived at the pier to check in, we were told by one of their agents, "that Carnival had wonderful news, we were being upgrade to a higher class."  

I immediately asked it we were being upgraded to a suite.  At that point the agent called over a supervisor who admitted it was still a balcony cabin.

It led to a standoff for 20 minutes, until Princess gave our old room back to us. 

When we contacted our travel agent, after the cruse,  to ask what had happened, she told us "... that Princess had contacted her and told us we were being upgraded to a suite.  She wanted to surprise us."

P.S.  We always check and recheck our cabin to make sure that such "upgrades" do not occur.  

This is a confusing story.  

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, Thrak said:

Go back to the beginning of this thread and read my post #7.

I am sorry Thrak, I somehow missed that.

That is dreadful. Did you get to the bottom of why you were upgraded with the "No Upgrade" option ticked? Was it just a IT glitch?

Edited by Snaxmuppet
spelling

16 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

???

Princess or Carnival?

You state first you were sailing Carnival, then go on to a standoff with Princess, and that Princess has contacted TA.. ?? 

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

???

Princess or Carnival?

You state first you were sailing Carnival, then go on to a standoff with Princess, and that Princess has contacted TA.. ?? 

Forgive my mistake, I was thinking, at the time of writing, of some of the individuals who posted experiences with Princess.

This incident occur at Carnival.  It was indeed very stressful; and the supervisor who we dealt with was very belligerent.  I believe it was the last time we ever sailed on Carnival. 

We never had any type of problem in respect to cabin selection with Princess.  But…we always make sure that our travel agent specifies …no substitutions, no “upgrades”

17 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I am sorry Thrak, I somehow missed that.

That is dreadful. Did you get to the bottom of why you were upgraded with the "No Upgrade" option ticked? Was it just a IT glitch?

Nope. As far as I know it was simple incompetence combined with poor programming.