On board payment method

Korimako

How soon before boarding does one have to give details of payment method? I'm somewhat hesitant to hand over my credit card details months before I need to.

Also - will a bank debit card (EFTPOS) be acceptable? This will be a cruise out of Australia with all onboard charges in AUD. I've never cruised before, so all of this is quite daunting!

A debit card can have problems. Often the bank will put a hold on it when it seems the ship charges and then it doesn't work. Use a credit card. There's no reason to worry about giving your number to Princess but, if you have a Capital One card (which I do) you can make a "virtual number" for Princess that is good only on Princess and, if you like, you can designate a date that the virtual card expires. I haven't given any online vendor a "real" card number in quite a while. However, like I said above, I don't see a problem with giving your card info to Princess. I "think" that, if you like, you can put it off until a few days before sailing.

Edited by Thrak

Although onboard charges will be in AUD, your final charge will be converted to USD.

You may want to use a debit card if you expect a significant onboard bill, since Princess charges a 1.1% fee on all charges on an AUD currency sailing, in addition to any foreign transaction fee your credit or debit card charges. Read the information on Cashless Cruising in Pre-Cruise FAQ.

Even though you need to give them a credit or debit card, you don't have to charge your folio balance to the card you give them pre-cruise. You can give them a credit card to avoid holds on your debit card during the cruise. Then on the last day, you can go to Passenger Services and pay using cash or a debit card - you don't need to pay using the card you used to guarantee payment.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Although onboard charges will be in AUD, your final charge will be converted to USD.

Whilst the remainder of your post gives very good information; my guess ( just a guess ) is that the charge on the OP’s card will initially be AUD which the bank will convert to NZD on their card.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Whilst the remainder of your post gives very good information; my guess ( just a guess ) is that the charge on the OP’s card will initially be AUD which the bank will convert to NZD on their card.

Yes. I didn't notice that OP was from NZ. My comments were applicable to someone from the US. I don't know how much is applicable to someone from NZ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

You may want to use a debit card if you expect a significant onboard bill, since Princess charges a 1.1% fee on all charges on an AUD currency sailing, in addition to any foreign transaction fee your credit or debit card charges. Read the information on Cashless Cruising in Pre-Cruise FAQ.

Even though you need to give them a credit or debit card, you don't have to charge your folio balance to the card you give them pre-cruise. You can give them a credit card to avoid holds on your debit card during the cruise. Then on the last day, you can go to Passenger Services and pay using cash or a debit card - you don't need to pay using the card you used to guarantee payment.

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

Yes. I didn't notice that OP was from NZ. My comments were applicable to someone from the US. I don't know how much is applicable to someone from NZ.

NEVER allow the cruise line to convert the on board currency to your "home" currency (done for "your convenience"... cough, cough... it's a rip-off).  Let the charge go through and the cc company will convert.  But they do add a service charge.  There are credit cards out there good for international travel that do not have a currency conversion up-charge.

9 hours ago, Korimako said:

How soon before boarding does one have to give details of payment method? I'm somewhat hesitant to hand over my credit card details months before I need to.

Also - will a bank debit card (EFTPOS) be acceptable? This will be a cruise out of Australia with all onboard charges in AUD. I've never cruised before, so all of this is quite daunting!

Credit cards are preferable and I have never had any problems with security and Princess.  Debit cards are a bit more problematic as the cruise line can pre-authorise amounts to make sure funds are available.  You can also pay cash in at reception but currency conversion needs to be minimised and rates chosen by your bank not the cruise line. It is a single transaction at end of the cruise thus avoiding transaction number charges.

Regards John

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Didn't you have to give Princess your credit card number for the deposit and final payment? If so, they already have it, and, if I remember correctly, you just confirm that it's the card you'll be using.

They don't keep the credit card information you use to make payments - they just use it for the single payment. When I was making payments by phone to purchase Princess Vacation Protection for three different cruises, the Princess representative asked for my credit card number three times - once for each cruise.

The credit card for onboard purchases is different. They store that number until after the cruise.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I was wondering about this.  Since I gave credit card details on the app I have got myself a cc that doesn’t charge foreign exchange transaction fees. So, rather than try to change details on the app (took me long enough to do it in the first place!) I can just go to GS and pay with my new card?  If this is correct, thank you for the information. 

1 minute ago, teenieleek said:

I was wondering about this.  Since I gave credit card details on the app I have got myself a cc that doesn’t charge foreign exchange transaction fees. So, rather than try to change details on the app (took me long enough to do it in the first place!) I can just go to GS and pay with my new card?  If this is correct, thank you for the information. 

Guest services can *easily* switch your account to your new card if you like. Trying to get the app to cooperate in this area is crazy persnickity!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Guest services can *easily* switch your account to your new card if you like. Trying to get the app to cooperate in this area is crazy persnickity!

Good word “persnickety”, new one on me.

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

NEVER allow the cruise line to convert the on board currency to your "home" currency (done for "your convenience"... cough, cough... it's a rip-off).  Let the charge go through and the cc company will convert.  But they do add a service charge.  There are credit cards out there good for international travel that do not have a currency conversion up-charge.

Someone on my roll mentioned:

"Always use a zero forex markup credit card or debit card to pay & choose to pay in the local currency on the EDC swipe machine."

I asked him but he hasn't come back to the roll call

Embarrassed to say I don't know (1) what's a zero forex markup up card (2) how does it differ from a prepaid card (3) is that the same as a travel card and (4) where do I get one? Not concerned about a currency conversion if from my bank as it reverses the card (or has in the past). I'm returning to a port where I've been hacked before (yeah I'm sure that can happen anywhere) so I'd like to unlock my debit / visa card once & immediately relock. But it would be even more ideal if I could use a completely separate card NOT tied to my bank

Thank you / anyone who replies

==================

Adding: this is not for the ship but for DIY at various ports

Edited by Ombud

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Someone on my roll mentioned:

"Always use a zero forex markup credit card or debit card to pay & choose to pay in the local currency on the EDC swipe machine."

I asked him but he hasn't come back to the roll xall

Embarrassed to say I don't know (1) what's a zero forex markup up card (2) how does it differ from a prepaid card (3) is that the same as a travel card and (4) where do I get one? Not concerned about a currency conversion if from my bank as it reverses the card (or has in the past). I'm returning to a port where I've been hacked before (yeah I'm sure that can happen anywhere) so I'd like to unlock my debit / visa card once & immediately relock. But it would be even more ideal if I could use a completely separate card NOT tied to my bank

I believe a "zero forex markup credit card or debit card" means a card with no foreign transaction fees. Many credit cards in the United States charge a 3% foreign transaction fee, but some do not. Note that some of these cards charge the fee for any charge from outside the United States even if the charge is in US dollars. You get these cards the same way as any other credit or debit card. You just need to check the fine print to see if they charge a foreign transaction fee.

You should always pay in local currency and let the credit card company convert the charge to US dollars. Don't let the foreign merchant or machine do the conversion. They probably won't give you as good a deal on the conversion.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Cruises in Australia (don't know about NZ) charge a 1.1% fee for paying off your account with a credit card. Just something to be aware of.

For Princess, this fee applies to any cruise that uses Australian dollars as its onboard currency. It doesn't apply to cruises with US dollar onboard currency. Those are the only two onboard currencies that Princess uses.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ombud said:

..... But it would be even more ideal if I could use a completely separate card NOT tied to my bank

==================

Adding: this is not for the ship but for DIY at various ports

Any CC is going to be tied to some bank or other.  You could have one for travel only and not use your primary card... whether from same bank or another 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Any CC is going to be tied to some bank or other.  You could have one for travel only and not use your primary card... whether from same bank or another 

I thought about using a prepaid card but hijacked enough of this thread ---- I'll just convert cash. 

21 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I thought about using a prepaid card but hijacked enough of this thread ---- I'll just convert cash. 

Seriously considering getting AUD for our cruises to add as OBC. I don't trust Princess to give me a decent FX rate if I pay USD for OBC on cruises that bill in AUD. (Enough acronyms?)

• Like 1

Just now, Thrak said:

Seriously considering getting AUD for our cruises to add as OBC. I don't trust Princess to give me a decent FX rate if I pay USD for OBC on cruises that bill in AUD. (Enough acronyms?)

PCL gave me a lousy rate!! My 400usd shareholder + FCD = A$400.

I completely trust Aussie bank ATMs & my bank charges then reverses 1% foreign transaction & ATM fees. So will take out 'extra' A$s to convert in Hong Kong / Taiwan / Japan. Was totally ripped off on conversion then hacked in Indonesia necessitating closing card so I will lock down my card & leave in safe. Better to pay an extra fee then to go through that again. Be Aware

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

PCL gave me a lousy rate!! My 400usd shareholder + FCD = A$400.

PCL did not convert Shareholder and FCD OBC from US dollars to Australian dollars. They are clear in the description of Shareholder OBC and in the form for purchasing FCD that the OBC is dependent on the shipboard onboard currency. They do not pretend that it is the same amount. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

You can use a prepaid card or cash to settle your onboard account at Guest Services. However, you cannot use a prepaid card on your account during the cruise. If you don't give them a credit or debit card, you will need to give them a cash deposit.

You can put a credit card on your account to guarantee the charges and then pay the balance at Guest Services with a prepaid card and/or with cash before leaving the ship.

5 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

PCL did not convert Shareholder and FCD OBC from US dollars to Australian dollars. They are clear in the description of Shareholder OBC and in the form for purchasing FCD that the OBC is dependent on the shipboard onboard currency. They do not pretend that it is the same amount. 

And it is not in any way equivalent 

4 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

You can use a prepaid card or cash to settle your onboard account at Guest Services. However, you cannot use a prepaid card on your account during the cruise. If you don't give them a credit or debit card, you will need to give them a cash deposit.

You can put a credit card on your account to guarantee the charges and then pay the balance at Guest Services with a prepaid card and/or with cash before leaving the ship.

I always leave my cc to guarantee anything I owe onboard I just don't want to use my card in these ports 

I paid for all 6 segments of our upcoming cruise using Princess Gift cards with the 10% AARP discount. If I do end up being charged a premium for use of my card onboard or in Oz/NZ I will still be way ahead of the game. I just really don't like the idea of giving Guest Services cash, my credit card, or Gift Cards in USD and letting them make the transition to AUD. Nope, nope, nope. Not gonna happen.

Note: I always loved Ducky in The Land Before Time. I loved the syntax. Ducky: (Trying to coax Spike out of his egg) "You should come out. You should. You are late. Yes, you are. Yep yep yep." I watched this movie many years ago when my wife had a daycare (she ran it in our home for 20 years and I worked for her full time a bit over 4 years.) The kids loved it and tromped around being dinosaurs for weeks. I re-watched it recently (twice) with our youngest grandchild who will be 5 on September 2nd. It was great to watch it together. Yes, I'm old and she means the world to me.