Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

I was making travel plans for a 2 weeks trip to Egypt-Jordan-Israel with the family next year  with  6 days in Egypt. However with the changes, I am thinking of just doing an 8 to 11 hrs layover in Cairo just to see the pyramids. Based on what I see on this website https://www.visasegypt.com/articles/transit-visa, I can still transit in Egypt without needing a visa as long as my wait is less than 48 hours. I hope this rule was not affected by the changes. Perhaps the same rule applies to cruise passenger just transiting in Egypt?

Can you leave the airport without a transit visa for Egypt?

Passengers with between 6 and 48 hours to wait between flights can leave the airport and explore the area without a visa. A valid onward flight ticket is required.

Passengers with fewer than 6 hours until their departing flight must stay in the airport. Most travelers can, however, leave the transit area. This does not apply to nationals of Afghanistan, Lebanon, Palestine, and the Philippines who must stay in the airport transit area.

Edited by Lawrence Yu

1 hour ago, Lawrence Yu said:

I was making travel plans for a 2 weeks trip to Egypt-Jordan-Israel with the family next year  with  6 days in Egypt. However with the changes, I am thinking of just doing an 8 to 11 hrs layover in Cairo just to see the pyramids. Based on what I see on this website https://www.visasegypt.com/articles/transit-visa, I can still transit in Egypt without needing a visa as long as my wait is less than 48 hours. I hope this rule was not affected by the changes. Perhaps the same rule applies to cruise passenger just transiting in Egypt?

There is  another  requirement

Who needs a transit visa for Egypt?

Citizens of visa-free countries are not required to apply for a transit visa. Only 9 countries are visa-exempt — most being nations in the Gulf and the Middle East.

Other visitors only need a visa to transit through Egypt if the layover exceeds 48 hours.

Iranian citizens, however, need to apply for a transit visa regardless of how long they will spend in Egypt between flights. Iranians need to apply for a transit visa for Egypt through an embassy or consulate.

Citizens of only 9 countries can travel to Egypt visa-free — these are Bahrain, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macao, Oman, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Malaysia.  For the rest (except Iran), have to apply for visa if transit/layover is more than 48 hours. If layover is less than 48 hrs, no visa?

Edited by Lawrence Yu
  • Thanks 1

With current situation get the visa however you can.  If you can't physically go to the consulate do the process and fire everything too and from via expedited courier.  Or look into the various Visa acquisition agencies (our tour agency recommended CIBT Visas Canada) who can do it for you for a fee.  We have the luxury of not going until February, but as soon as we are within the 90 day window will be getting it.  We also have to get a Jordanian Visa, which appears to be quite simple, but I would hate to get there and get rejected because somebody, somewhere gave you the wrong information.  Kind of the same scenario as travel or health insurance.  Err on the side of caution.  Good luck, hopefully you can get things ironed out to relieve the anxiety and duress. 

Just got a reply from my email to Michael Pilach, Managing Editor PAX Global Media. He wrote a large article regarding Egypt's visa change. Here is what wrote me.

I just came across your message in our inbox regarding Egypt visas for cruises. What a mess this has been for travellers, travel agents and tour companies. It appears the update came out of no where. 

I may, however, have some information for you about your upcoming Celebrity cruise. I was speaking with Celebrity's head of sales for Canada yesterday, and it sounds like cruise passengers will be able to obtain a 72-hour visa on arrival in Egypt. 

This is what I have from Celebrity's headquarters: 

72-hour visa can be obtained upon vessel arrival for the most nationalities (including U.S, Canada, UK, EU, and Australia).
For 72-hour visa guests, immigration officers will stamp the guest passports on arrival, which will allow them to stay in Egypt up to 72 hours.
• A note for Canadian Guests: The 2023 changes regarding Canadians needing to apply for an Egyptian visa in advance applies only for entry by air. The authorities re-confirmed entry via cruise ships, for transit call purposes, guests can still apply for a 72-hour visa upon arrival as noted above.
• Exceptions: Nationals of the countries referenced in SECTION I on the following link will require a pre-arranged visa prior to boarding the ship: Visas - https://egyptconsulate.co.uk/visas/

Celebrity may have already sent this to you -- and if they haven't, I assume they will soon as it is being circulated in travel agent circles. 

The issue is still evolving by the hour, but I hope this helps. Cruise passengers are sometimes treated differently than air passengers. 

Michael Pihach
Managing Editor - English Canada
Pax Global Media Inc. 
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cuisecelebrity said:

bonjour , j'ai une amie qui arrive du Consulat à Montréal et la fille au Consulant pas encore au courant pour les croisieres .... pas eu info ...donc bien fait de faire ma demande de Visa .. 

French to English Translation for above:

hello, I have a friend who arrives from the Consulate in Montreal and the daughter to the Consulant not yet aware for cruises .... no info ... so well done to apply for a Visa

Seems every Cruiseline has a different answer. MSC operates a number of cruises in the Mediterranean that calls on Egypt. I asked MSC about MSC obtaining Transit visas for Canadians on their up-coming cruises, this is MSC Canada Manager reply: 

September 7th, 2023

Dear xxxxx,

We want to bring to your attention an important update regarding entry requirements for Canadian passport holders traveling to Egypt. As of September 3rd, 2023, it is no longer possible to obtain a visa upon arrival in Egypt. Instead, it is mandatory for Canadian passport holders to obtain their visas from an Egyptian embassy or consulate in Canada before their arrival.

Please ensure that you take the necessary steps to secure your Egyptian visa well in advance to avoid any inconvenience during your journey.

Should you have any questions or require further assistance regarding this matter or your upcoming cruise, please do not hesitate to reach out to our dedicated team at reservations@msccruises.ca

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to providing you with a memorable and enjoyable cruise experience.

Best regards

MSC Cruises Canada LTD.

Ian Patterson

Country Manager

MSC Cruises Canada Ltd

2810 Matheson Blvd East Suite 101A

Mississauga, Ontario

L4W 4X7

23 minutes ago, mr_cruiser8 said:

Seems every Cruiseline has a different answer. MSC operates a number of cruises in the Mediterranean that calls on Egypt. I asked MSC about MSC obtaining Transit visas for Canadians on their up-coming cruises, this is MSC Canada Manager reply: 

September 7th, 2023

Dear xxxxx,

We want to bring to your attention an important update regarding entry requirements for Canadian passport holders traveling to Egypt. As of September 3rd, 2023, it is no longer possible to obtain a visa upon arrival in Egypt. Instead, it is mandatory for Canadian passport holders to obtain their visas from an Egyptian embassy or consulate in Canada before their arrival.

Please ensure that you take the necessary steps to secure your Egyptian visa well in advance to avoid any inconvenience during your journey.

Should you have any questions or require further assistance regarding this matter or your upcoming cruise, please do not hesitate to reach out to our dedicated team at reservations@msccruises.ca

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to providing you with a memorable and enjoyable cruise experience.

Best regards

MSC Cruises Canada LTD.

Ian Patterson

Country Manager

MSC Cruises Canada Ltd

2810 Matheson Blvd East Suite 101A

Mississauga, Ontario

L4W 4X7

@mr_cruiser8  I am wondering if you are transiting through ( and how many ports / days in Egypt you are doing ) or if Egypt is the start or end of your cruise?   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Martina2662 said:

@mr_cruiser8  I am wondering if you are transiting through ( and how many ports / days in Egypt you are doing ) or if Egypt is the start or end of your cruise?   

Hi Martina2662, we are on the MSC Splendida leaving Trieste (Italy), calling at Alexandria (Egypt) on Day 6 (1-day stop), then sailing  through the Suez Canal, calling at Safaga (Egypt) on Day 9 (1-day stop), then continuing our journey to Aqaba (Jordan) and eventually ending at Durban (South Africa).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Since I didn't see this update here, I thought I would mention it. The Embassy in Ottawa is now saying eVisas obtained BEFORE October 1st are still valid. You can see the update to their wording on their FB page. Also, I called today and got through and they confirmed it.

Would it be possible for you to post a screen grab of the revised information on FB? I've looked and have seen nothing suggesting that eVIsas issued before October 1 could still be used. The travel.gc.ca website continues to state the following:

If you travel to Egypt on an electronic visa on or after October 1, 2023, your visa will be considered void, and you will be denied boarding and/or entry into Egypt.

So here is the screenshot from the official Embassy that updated it's wording to say "no EVisas will be issued after October 1st" (instead of no Evisas permitted after Oct 1st).  The Embassy official said they expect to see Canadian government update shortly. They were advising people in line to get evisas instead of regular visas. And, as I mentioned, they told me I no longer need the visa and mailed it back to me!

Screenshot_20230908_165607_Facebook.jpg

• Thanks 1

SparklyPinkCruiser said: "And, as I mentioned, they told me I no longer need the visa and mailed it back to me!"

Hi Laura, Is this so, as I can't find your post where this was mentioned before? 

And they mailed your passport back without the visa, and refunded you the money?  

5 minutes ago, mr_cruiser8 said:

SparklyPinkCruiser said: "And, as I mentioned, they told me I no longer need the visa and mailed it back to me!"

Hi Laura, Is this so, as I can't find your post where this was mentioned before? 

And they mailed your passport back without the visa, and refunded you the money?  

Oh sorry... I keep forgetting where I've posted stuff 🤣 Yes, they mailed it back with refund!! They said I didn't need it.

Here's a link to an unconfirmed article (but as I said embassy official confirmed with me today when I called) https://www.travelweek.ca/news/cato-issues-egypt-visa-statement-unconfirmed-report-of-evisa-extension-could-come-sept-10/

Hopefully official announcement comes soon from Canadian government.

Edited by SparklyPinkCruiser
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, WhiteRockMike said:

Thank you so much for that info sparkly pink!

Although I am sure that Seaborn will be able to get us a transit visa as they have stated multiple times, I will go for the belt and suspenders approach, and sleep much better between now and November 19th when we board!

WhiteRockMike,

After your Seabourn cruise, would you mind to confirm that Seabourn get you a transit visa.

In other words you don't need to apply any Egypt visa by yourself.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, mr_cruiser8 said:

Hi Martina2662, we are on the MSC Splendida leaving Trieste (Italy), calling at Alexandria (Egypt) on Day 6 (1-day stop), then sailing  through the Suez Canal, calling at Safaga (Egypt) on Day 9 (1-day stop), then continuing our journey to Aqaba (Jordan) and eventually ending at Durban (South Africa).

Thanks for that detail as I wonder if that's more than the 72 hr transit visa allows maybe for all the days between as is the morning of day 6 to the evening of day 9.  Only speculation.   

That gives me hope yet  Ours is one stop 1 day so that may be a difference hopefully for me.    Silversea continues to say for me one stop one day they will get a quick stamp.  Crossing fingers.   Still haven't heard back from the embassy myself but either way I have no option except to cancel as the logistics don't work for me At all for various reasons. 

2 hours ago, HSBC said:

WhiteRockMike,

After your Seabourn cruise, would you mind to confirm that Seabourn get you a transit visa.

In other words you don't need to apply any Egypt visa by yourself.

Thanks!

Yes, will do.  But a couple of caveats:

1. This will be after November 19th (when we board), so by that time it will be too late to get the $25 eVisa that you can now purchase up to October 1st.

2. As we’ve seen from responses on this thread, some cruise lines will get transit visas for their Canadian guests and some won’t.  So you still need to check if your cruise line says they will or won’t.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 3:24 PM, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Update from Celebrity is good news (except for me who already applied for Visa!)

• A note for Canadian Guests: The 2023 changes regarding Canadians needing to apply for an Egyptian visa in advance applies only for entry by air. The authorities re-confirmed entry via cruise ships, for transit call purposes, guests can still apply for a 72-hour visa upon arrival as noted above.

@SparklyPinkCruiser thank you for this helpful info. Much appreciated 😘