Bar Harbor Ban On Cruise Ships - status?

SonomaMist

Does anyone know the status of the 7-7-23 trial to ban large cruise ships from Bar Harbor?

The legal challenge of a town ordinance limiting the number of cruise ship passengers allowed in Bar Harbor will begin next week. 

After months of preparations, trial proceedings begin Tuesday for a lawsuit pitting Bar Harbor businesses against the town. The businesses sued the town over an ordinance that limits the number of visitors who arrive by cruise ship to 1,000 a day.

https://www.mainepublic.org/business-and-economy/2023-07-07/trial-over-bar-harbor-cruise-ship-passenger-ordinance-to-begin-tuesday

I think the matter is still subject to change - but ultimately I think there will be some strict limits imposed.  The fact is that cruise passengers only offer value to a small portion of the people in an area - those offering tours and cheap fast food. A possibly substantially larger number (who contribute more, and long term to the community) are opposed to having things taken over by thousands of day-trippers.  A number of communities around  the world already do limit the numbers - and that trend is likely to grow —— especially as the numbers of day-trippers descending on small communities grows with the introduction of ever larger ships.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, elcuchio24 said:

Yes--just saw it on the local news today

However, he ruled that there can be no limitation on crew going ashore, that's Federal jurisdiction, so the 1000 limit applies only to pax.

We are booked on NCL Gem the first cruise in Bar Harbor for the 2024 season. (May 2). Prior to Bar Harbor we will be in Bermuda. I purposely didn’t plan anything in case this happened. Now we are just waiting to hear if it’s going to be an extra sea day or if they will change the port. 

I’m kind of bummed about it but understand. I haven't been since I was a teenager and my husband never has. I was looking forward to visiting Acadia NP. I guess that will mean a future land trip. 

1 hour ago, outbackpaul said:

But the cruise ships have been tendering to a private dock(from what I remember reading). Does that change too?

I haven't read the ordinance, but the court's verdict, and the main engine for enforcing the limit is the town's "reservation system" for using the anchorages.  If the number of passengers exceed the daily cap, they won't issue a reservation for that ship on that day.  I believe the town is basing the ordinance on the landward access of passengers from the private docks to municipal land (streets and sidewalks).  The Town Manager has noted that there are still issues to be worked out with monitoring the limits on private land, and what the penalties will be for violations (to the pier owners, not the cruise lines).

We're supposed to be going in a couple months on the Gem. Bummed that it looks like this won't be happening. Maybe NCL will give us another day in Bermuda or a different port (Portland? Nova Scotia?). I just hope it's not another day at sea. And I hope they let us know sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Wisteria13 said:

We're supposed to be going in a couple months on the Gem. Bummed that it looks like this won't be happening. Maybe NCL will give us another day in Bermuda or a different port (Portland? Nova Scotia?). I just hope it's not another day at sea. And I hope they let us know sooner rather than later.

I agree,  I hope we get another port. Crossing my fingers!

• Like 1

At one point, the RT from Boston to Bermuda was one sea day down, and two back before the introduction of Bar Harbor. I would think Portland would make a good substitute, especially since I think USCIS would rather do their work there versus Boston.