Ice delivered to cabin

speedyjane

3 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Just ask your room steward to fill your ice bucket. You can have all day, every day for free,

Actually, you'll have mostly water after a couple of hours.  I skip the bucket and just fill my hydroflask with cubes at the buffet.  

• Like 2

Concur about having the ice melting in that metal bucket.  The bucket has zero insulation and the ice melts quickly.  As others mentioned, you're better off getting ice at the Garden Buffet in whatever vessel you have to use it in.

I had my ice bucket filled daily. It was one of my requests.

It cost zero and while it did melt eventually, it was still good for me when we returned to our cabin in the late afternoon to get ready for the evening.

And, a couple of times, we saw our steward as we departed for the evening and we'd mention the ice and we had more when we returned.

Excellent experience on the Joy in July!!

I started putting the ice bucket in the fridge when they started once a day cabin service. On a cruise I do not want to carry a cup around to get ice for the room. I would like to have an ice bucket and coffee maker in the room without having to ask. I shouldn't have to feel like I am bothering the room steward.  I feel bad for new cruisers who do not know you can get these items. 

14 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Our room steward filled our ice bucket daily and told us to keep it in the 'refrigerator' so it would last longer.  He was right.  

On day one, when I meet my cabin steward, I tell him I would like ice and extra towels.  Then I give them a tip.  I always get ice everyday and towels.

Several years ago I read a post from someone who tested the water from various locations and concluded the melted ice was the cleanest water on the ship.  I refill my water bottle with the melted ice so it serves 2 purposes.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fmrlkr said:

Several years ago I read a post from someone who tested the water from various locations and concluded the melted ice was the cleanest water on the ship. 

Isn't it all the same water?  How did they test it, and why would they spend their vacation doing such a thing?

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wouldn't the water dispenser in the Buffet have a similar filter?

Hope so. Not sure about the water in other restaurants or a bar. But still not as convenient as having ice brought to your room by your steward. We do sometimes drink ice bucket water in the room. I prefer to use the bottled water in the room, but if I get up at night and am thirsty and am out of bottled water I will drink the ice bucket water. 

On 9/1/2023 at 12:33 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't it all the same water?  How did they test it, and why would they spend their vacation doing such a thing?

Ice makers in hotels and restaurants are often times so dirty and gross. Paying $300 a night and the ice machine had black gunk coming out of it. I appreciate the person who entertained themselves by testing water onboard the ship.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:55 AM, fmrlkr said:

On day one, when I meet my cabin steward, I tell him I would like ice and extra towels.  Then I give them a tip.  I always get ice everyday and towels.

Several years ago I read a post from someone who tested the water from various locations and concluded the melted ice was the cleanest water on the ship.  I refill my water bottle with the melted ice so it serves 2 purposes.  

While I suppose any particular system on board may become less clean, all of the water should start out pure from the desalination process. An ice maker is actually an extra "step" in the journey. As all water is presumed pure at the start, there may be no filters beyond the conversion of the sea water. 

On 9/1/2023 at 8:44 AM, Cruising Lynne said:

I started putting the ice bucket in the fridge when they started once a day cabin service. On a cruise I do not want to carry a cup around to get ice for the room. I would like to have an ice bucket and coffee maker in the room without having to ask. I shouldn't have to feel like I am bothering the room steward.  I feel bad for new cruisers who do not know you can get these items. 

We can get a coffee maker?