Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

OOpss...   Forgot to mention...

Up next will be back on Celebrity for the 2nd Half of the World Cruise -  Singapore to Sydney   and Sydney to New Zealand and back.

can' t  wait for that review..Are you glad to  be returning to X?

27 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

Loved the review. Have you booked another Ponant cruise?

Didn't book another --- we may but will be destination driven.   Iain's interested in the New Guinea / Indonesia Cruise that visits the Island that has the Komodo Dragon

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

can' t  wait for that review..Are you glad to  be returning to X?

Can't say we are really excited.... more ---- same ol ----same ol.   It will be interesting to see if the cutbacks are noticeable.    I have to say the food on Ponant was better than eating in a Specialty for the entire cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's definitely different.   By the end of the cruise we agreed we might sail them again but would have to be itinerary based and something that can be put together as a B2B of at least 14-21 days.   

We have discussed with many we have met on Ponant and Silverseas really comes highly recommended.

We have a transatlantic aboard APEX (RS) coming up in November, and we always enjoy this experience.  The introduction of new ships across various luxury cruise lines seems like the ideal opportunity to venture into new horizons. Silversea (Nova and Ray) has definitely caught our attention!   Once again, thank you for the review, and keep enjoying your journey. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Didn't book another --- we may but will be destination driven.   Iain's interested in the New Guinea / Indonesia Cruise that visits the Island that has the Komodo Dragon

We went to Komodo to see the Dragons in 2013. We were on Millie. My mother with one of the dragons.

2013-01-26_13-02-54_193.jpg

Disembarkation was a breeze and very relaxed.   We didn't disembark until 9:00.

They had our luggage at the front of the terminal.     We got an Uber and it arrived within 5 minutes.   Unlike the over the top prices of Ponant it cost us $9.00 US to the Luggage Drop Off  place.

We then walked to Toronto Subway Station and purchased 3 days worth of day passes.     Our place wasn't suppose to be ready until 1PM so we went to scope it out and just as we arrived the owner sent a message that we could check in at 11:00 AM.  
Since it was 10:45 at that time we waited until they dropped the key in the lockbox, checked it out and then returned to downtown to recover our luggage

We then did a quick grocery store run to pick up some breakfast items, milk and bread.   Next we found a Liquor Store and got some wine for Iain.

Some wonderful Celebrity Zenith friends have invited us for dinner for tonight.   So anxious to see them again.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's definitely different.   By the end of the cruise we agreed we might sail them again but would have to be itinerary based and something that can be put together as a B2B of at least 14-21 days.   

We have discussed with many we have met on Ponant and Silverseas really comes highly recommended.

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do both threads.

We're several steps behind you in our "change" process so your reviews have been all the more helpful. Like you we are leaning towards something like Ponant (in our case Scenic Eclipse) for expedition/exploration type cruises and Silversea or Regent for "regular" itineraries.  We've yet to experience any of them.

Still have 2 Edge bookings that we need to make a decision on by January (B2B TP). I'm tempted to shift one deposit to a local cruise if we can find a good price for a suite 🤣. Fin is more of an all or nothing kind of guy in the sense that he takes longer to make a decision but once he has its full steam ahead - apparently our relationship with X is over to the extent that he's prepared to loose our deposits 😱 than sink more money only to be disappointed. I'd rather try one more date🤭 especially as we haven't been in the Retreat on the Edge Class.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday, safe travels home and look forward to your Edge reviews.

Sorry I missed the live reporting of your cruise, but we have not been following the Celebrity site for a while due to their recent changes (we've followed your posts many times). While we've taken many cruises  & tried a number of lines , We've cruised most on X ,but also have enjoyed smaller ships on RSSC, Oceania & Azamara. Our next cruise will be on the new Regent Grandeur, (our analysis was that it was not that much more expensive when we added some of the upgrades on X , but still not have as many benefits as on RSSC. We're disappointed that X has made so many changes, reduced  amenities, quality & choice of food & raised prices. 

Wishing you happy cruising. 

Michael

Sorry for the underlining but forgot how to remove.

16 minutes ago, Redking said:

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do both threads.

We're several steps behind you in our "change" process so your reviews have been all the more helpful. Like you we are leaning towards something like Ponant (in our case Scenic Eclipse) for expedition/exploration type cruises and Silversea or Regent for "regular" itineraries.  We've yet to experience any of them.

Still have 2 Edge bookings that we need to make a decision on by January (B2B TP). I'm tempted to shift one deposit to a local cruise if we can find a good price for a suite 🤣. Fin is more of an all or nothing kind of guy in the sense that he takes longer to make a decision but once he has its full steam ahead - apparently our relationship with X is over to the extent that he's prepared to loose our deposits 😱 than sink more money only to be disappointed. I'd rather try one more date🤭 especially as we haven't been in the Retreat on the Edge Class.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday, safe travels home and look forward to your Edge reviews.

I have to say the Retreat experience is very different on an E-Class.    Many, Many more Suites but will be interesting to see how the "Butler Experiment" works out.  In November we will be traveling with friends from Singapore.    They are in a SS and we are in a CS so will be an interesting comparison.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dabear said:

Sorry I missed the live reporting of your cruise, but we have not been following the Celebrity site for a while due to their recent changes (we've followed your posts many times). While we've taken many cruises  & tried a number of lines , We've cruised most on X ,but also have enjoyed smaller ships on RSSC, Oceania & Azamara. Our next cruise will be on the new Regent Grandeur, (our analysis was that it was not that much more expensive when we added some of the upgrades on X , but still not have as many benefits as on RSSC. We're disappointed that X has made so many changes, reduced  amenities, quality & choice of food & raised prices. 

Michael

No problem with the underlines.   That happens to me sometimes using my iPhone and cant seem to turn it off. 

We are not totally turned off by Celebrity but now that we have had a taste of something new it only makes us more curious.    I think that in the future we may be more itinerary driven rather than Cruise Line driven.    

• Like 3

We are in Mid-Town -   a block from Davisville Station in a high rise.  

IMG_7288.thumb.jpeg.0e7b1cce553c38766e3670c89b5ccb29.jpeg

IMG_7286.thumb.jpeg.456a8081049d53ed4a0ab1983bdf1017.jpeg

IMG_7291.thumb.jpeg.c7738b806a32b250f7a48455affdb087.jpeg

Toronto (where I was born) is a beautiful city.....very very big now with the ups and downs of a metropolis.  Terrific theatre, many high end restaurants, and quite a busy commercial district downtown.  Have you any plans for your stay or is it R&R? You're a distance from the waterfront but maybe you've seen enough water....LOL...Lovely B&B.

Edited by Oceangoer2

Disembarkation was a breeze and very relaxed.   We didn't disembark until 9:00.

They had our luggage at the front of the terminal.     We got an Uber and it arrived within 5 minutes.   Unlike the over the top prices of Ponant it cost us $9.00 US to the Luggage Drop Off  place.

We then walked to Toronto Subway Station and purchased 3 days worth of day passes.     Our place wasn't suppose to be ready until 1PM so we went to scope it out and just as we arrived the owner sent a message that we could check in at 11:00 AM.  
Since it was 10:45 at that time we waited until they dropped the key in the lockbox, checked it out and then returned to downtown to recover our luggage

We then did a quick grocery store run to pick up some breakfast items, milk and bread.   Next we found a Liquor Store and got some wine for Iain.

Some wonderful Celebrity Zenith friends have invited us for dinner for tonight.   So anxious to see them again.

If it's Sue and Rob say hello for us. Look forward to meeting them soon.

Edited by Orator

16 minutes ago, dabear said:

Michael

Should work if you highlight the section and hit underline again.  Just did so on your post and deleted it...... hit it twice so don't know if just once would have worked.

Edited by Oceangoer2

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

No problem with the underlines.   That happens to me sometimes using my iPhone and cant seem to turn it off. 

We are not totally turned off by Celebrity but now that we have had a taste of something new it only makes us more curious.    I think that in the future we may be more itinerary driven rather than Cruise Line driven.    

In general we also are first itinerary driven , then cruise line, but excluding the main mass market lines. We probably will do X again but not the E class as we like regular, not infinity balconies.

Excellent review as usual and of course the pictures. We would love to do the Great Lakes cruise but after sailing on a Viking River cruise years ago (we were bored while on-board), not sure Ponant is for us (still debating). By your review and pictures, food on Ponant looks to be major upgrade over Viking. So it is a maybe!

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Up next will be back on Celebrity for the 2nd Half of the World Cruise -  Singapore to Sydney   and Sydney to New Zealand and back.

My wife and I ...if everything works out as booked.... ( these days, everything can change so fast) are also looking forward to our next Celebrity Cruise from Sydney and around New-Zealand. It will be our first time "down under" and first experience on the Edge Class ship. We will be there in February 2024. Who knows, if the timing is right, our paths may cross! 

p.s. Thank-you again, for sharing your comparison between Celebrity and Ponant. I found your review very informative and helpful! 

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I will take good care of Edge from Rome to Singapore😇 Really sad that we are walking off when you are walking on.....

• Like 1

Hi

The Sunday Times travel section did a great expose on this same itinerary yesterday.

Unfortunately it’s not worth putting a link on as its behind a paywall.

The difference was they were advertising a cruise on the new expedition ship the Viking Octatis,,,they say the largest ship to fit through the locks.

Its called Niagara Fall & The Great Lakes.same itinerary Jim and Iian have just done.

It sails 8 day cruises from April through to the Autumn from £4900 inc flights from UK.

No I don’t work for Virgin.😏