Dear Oceania

Ray4Fun

Currents - Might be nice to have this in an app - or you can take pics on your phone, or stick the physical copy in your pocket or bag.

Menus - Might be nice to have

Speciality Restaurants - Book before you leave 

Culinary Class - Book before you leave

Spa - Book before you leave or see currents for daily specials - might be nice

Excursions - Book before you leave

Crafting sessions - I think the rugby scrum these are, are best to leave it til the day 

Prive/Special menus - Book before you leave

Ordering drinks via the app - Not needed

Ordering food on the app - Not needed

Did I miss anything? 

It’s worth bearing in mind that apps evolved in their present format for larger ships to control numbers in venues during the first restart from covid. Due to social distancing big ships didn’t want people queuing at peak times for dinner, or to control numbers in theatres etc. Whilst we are in the middle of a new covid kerfuffle we certainly aren’t back to the point of 2021 in terms of Covid procedures.

The only time I have seen a queue at a dining venue on O was for Christmas Dinner in the GDR, we turned around and went to The Terrace.

If anyone can come up with a good reason for anything I haven’t marked ‘nice to have’ who has direct experience on O (apart from “everyone else has one” - this is not a good reason) please let me know - I am very willing to have my mind changed!

Apps cost lots of money, terrible apps cost lot of money, apps that don’t do a lot cost lots of money.  I would rather O spend that money in a more sensible way - or even just not spend the money at all and use it to get to a more steady financial footing. 

Not trying to stir the pot - trying to lay out the facts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well-designed apps have their use.  I've used ship apps for three main tasks:

1) to check the activity schedule - easier than carrying around the paper copy

2) to refer to ship deck plans (useful on big ships, maybe not so much on O ships)

3) check account status

Dinner menus would be nice to have, but have never seen this on my cruises.

First O cruise coming up next week - I'm sure I'll survive without an app.

Edited by atlbrm
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, atlbrm said:

Well-designed apps have their use.  I've used ship apps for three main tasks:

1) to check the activity schedule - easier than carrying around the paper copy I do this in the morning in my cabin, if .I need to note something I can do that

2) to refer to ship deck plans (useful on big ships, maybe not so much on O ships)  not needed, these are small ships

3) check account status  available on the TV in your cabin, not needed

Dinner menus would be nice to have, but have never seen this on my cruises.  available on the TV in your cabin and at the venues, unnneeded.

First O cruise coming up next week - I'm sure I'll survive without an app.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jakes47 said:

I haven’t gone through all the posts but couldn’t agree more.  They cant have an app until they do something about the wifi.  We were on the Riviera for 28 days unit the 2nd September.  The ship is in a time warp when it comes to IT.  Their TV is so outdated and even their account system is unnecessarily complicated.  It would frustrate me to just to send an email.  Send to one person and it might leave the outbox within an hour but if you cc to others it was much longer.  I had one that kept returning my outbox for 2 days.  Until they get the ship WIFI sorted I don’t see an app for the older ships in the near future. 

Until a ship comes up on Starlink, internet-at-sea will vary by ship's latitude.  By the time a ship gets north to Seattle/Southampton, it has already had to shift to a legacy, slow, expensive GEO-orbit satellite.  The best thing about Starlink is that it's satellites are in polar orbit instead of equatorial and therefore skip the latitude issues. 🙂 

BTW, a shipboard app would use an onboard server and work just fine, nevermind satellites or latitude ...not that I see a need for one on O.  😉

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned reminders?

It's part of the charm of sea days that I completely miss things I wanted to go to because I got involved in something else that was absorbing...

If you really want to interrupt the good times you said you expect to have?

You don't need a cruiseline app -- your smartphone you'd need to install it on already comes with such.  😉

• 4 months later...
On 9/1/2023 at 10:45 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

While I agree that O will eventually have an app, I have only cruised on O and I have no idea why I'd want one. This is not meant to be snarky...I really wonder how it would improve the experience. What have people on other lines found better with an app? I can barely be bothered to carry around my card, so I am certainly going to be a big whiner if I have to carry a phone (hey, now those little card substitutes I could go for more than an app).

On other cruise lines, when we are out and about the ship, (perhaps at the pool

or perhaps in a lounge) we found it very convenient to use our phones to check the dinner menus in various restaurants, as well as the scheduled activities.  We could also communicate with traveling companions through the app.  We used it almost every day at least once. We found it very useful.

On 9/2/2023 at 10:57 AM, Woodrowst said:

If you can do so without rolling your eyes, could you explain to those of us who are not digital natives why an app is important?  What would you want to do with it that cannot be done otherwise?  Inquiring minds want to know ☺️

I'm sorry but what does this app do? I guess I missed that basic explanation.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I'm sorry but what does this app do? I guess I missed that basic explanation.

The only app I'm familiar with is Princess' and it synergizes with their track-the-pax medallion:

• Handles your pre-cruise check-in/passport upload/etc.

- Last Princess cruise I took, boarding was "xray your stuff and walk aboard"

• Displays planned MDR menus for the whole cruise (not just today's).

• Displays today's Princess Patter (their version of Currents).

• Gives turn-by-turn directions from where you are to any event in Patter.

• Ditto for bars, restaurants, pools, spa, purser, shops, …

• Lets folks you've authorized how to find you (well, your medallion) in real time.

• Lets you order room or bar service to wherever you are -- cabin, pool, theatre, …

• Lets you make/change/cancel specialty restaurant reservations.

• Lets you check your folio (onboard billing account) in real time.

• Lets you message other passengers  (last I knew, this one didn't work that well).

...and no, not enough value to go back.  😉

3 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

...and no, not enough value to go back.  😉

We travel as a couple in small ships so I just don't see the value. And I really don't need all that info that far ahead. When I go to a fave restaurant I always look forward to new meals. Ah well, to each their own. Thanks.