LAFFNVEGAS Alaska Bound...Live September 3, 2023 HAL Westerdam

LAFFNVEGAS

Made it to Seattle and our hotel. Arrived 40 minutes early in Seattle, Luggage was at carousel as we walked up to it. A HAL rep walked to us and said are you the Laffins? Then sent us to a desk to check in where in 10 minutes we were on a mini bus taking us right to the Sheraton, could not be any easier.

Also different than when we were here in September 2021, we had to bring our own luggage to the lobby the morning of the cruise and departure time from the ship was a bit later I want to say 11:30 this state’s departure is 10:30.

Next for us, we will relax maybe even take a quickie nap. Then we have dinner reservations at Capital Grille which is about two blocks away.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

Good Evening from the Sheraton. It has been a long full day. I think we know why our flight left early and arrived early. They were high tailing it out of Vegas due to the storms heading in that started up not long after we left and Vegas had severe flooding all over the city. I think we were fine at home last I heard. We actually had a smooth flight and beautiful sunny day in Seattle, although tomorrow is to be cloudy.

We walked to Capital Grille, have to admit a bit disappointed we normally love Capital Grille but everything was just Ok. We dined at this Seattle location in July 2021 and it was excellent. Before even ordering they we’re giving us complimentary things like cocktails and a Spicy fried calamari plate that was excellent then in the end brought out free dessert. We never once said a thing. It was like they knew they were off and over compensating. They were doing this with the tables around us as well. What was off the steak quality was not the normal and my Chilean Sea Bass was not great either very very dry. But it was still nice getting out. 
My first thought of downtown Seattle was that it seemed to have gotten a bit cleaned up. I know over the last few years it had gotten a bit rough. But walking back to the Sheraton were several street people and one crazy guy screaming at drivers. So sadly you still need to be careful and watch your surroundings in downtown Seattle. There are some closed businesses but not nearly as many as there were in 2021, a lot more  tourists walking around and the downtown area seemed a lot more active.

Looking forward to tomorrow when we get to see Westerdam again.

Signing off from Sheraton Downtown Seattle.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Yes, crazy rain all day in Vegas. Lots of rocks washed out onto the streets. Must have been a lot of accidents because I saw a lot of ambulances and police cars with lights on. Glad you are able to get away. Enjoy your trip! Will be on this ship in November so looking forward to reading how your experience is. 

• Like 1

Good Morning from a cloudy morning in Seattle. The forecast is for clouds all day so don’t expect it to burn off. 

What a difference 2 years makes but then again I am sure things were more back to normal for HAL pre cruise hotel last year. 
instead of having to bring our luggage downstairs like we did both times in 2021 they came and pick up our luggage at about 8:20, then in 2021 it was limited breakfast options but this time they had a restaurant opened called Alder and Ash that you could do a Buffet Breakfast for $32 or order from a limited aka carte menu that was actually pretty good and prices not horrible. I had a West Coast Avocado Toast on sourdough that was $15 and Tom had the Two Egg breakfast that was $18 and huge. Service was great and extremely quick. 
Hal asked that we check in downstairs with our passports and boarding passes between 8 and 9 then to be back there and checked out if our rooms by 10 to board the motor coach at 10:30. 
They seem to be extremely organized.

I have to admit they do make it extremely easy and take care of everything.

We are just going to relax here in the room for about 50 minutes then head down and check out of the hotel.

Signing off for now.

IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4374.jpeg

IMG_4373.jpeg

• Like 17

37 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

It’s quite breezy where we live so hope Seattle is better.  Might be a bit bumpy seas.  Have a wonderful cruise!   I still haven’t convinced MrBear to do Alaska again but I’m pushing for next year! 

I'm rooting for you - AK is now my favorite place.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'm rooting for you - AK is now my favorite place.

Since we live in Vancouver it’s easy to get to the port for Alaska but it cuts into hubby’s fishing time, lol.  Wish I could find a friend who doesn’t snore to go with me, lol! 

• Like 4

Greetings from the Westerdam at Pier 91 Smith cove Terminal.

we were on the bus to Pier 91 at 10:30, ch checked in and crosses the gangway at 12:08 and up in the lido eating  at 11:13. We just now need to check into our Lifeboat.

lots of wonderful gifts in our cabin. 

Lido lunch was excellent, my low carb diet jumped off the aft with me having more than one slice of Peanut Butter Silk pie 😂
Already ran into @luvteaching aka Karen, thankfully she saw me. 

I just know it’s going to be an amazing week.

😉🥰😃

Going to go check into Lifeboat station then go to the Mariner Welcome Reception.

IMG_4380.jpeg

71546021137__E4FAD46A-76A8-4689-AB97-96535EFBB527.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Lido lunch was excellent, my low carb diet jumped off the aft with me having more than one slice of Peanut Butter Silk pie 😂

I discovered that pie in the MDR a few years ago (when it used to be served there). I had a taste of a CC member’s at my table.  YUM.  It’s one good reason to go to the Lido on embarkation day 🙂.   I don’t blame you one bit 👍 

13 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Already ran into @luvteaching aka Karen, thankfully she saw me. 

I just know it’s going to be an amazing week.

Oh how nice!   Karen if on a new adventure which can be tough but rewarding.  Hoping  you both have a lovely week.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@LAFFNVEGAS I might need new glasses, otherwise you gonna get tired w/all that Time Traveling, lol!! 🫣

lunch looks great!!

Safe travels to both you @luvteaching

20230903_164236.jpg

Lol, yes definitely a typo, should be 11:08 we crossed the gangway 😉

Totally unpack, went to the Welcome Reception for Mariners, their new Sparking wine is actually very good. It is a brand we are familiar with called Wycliffe which for a very inexpensive Sparkling is excellent. It was great to see a long time HAL friend Dustin Coomer who is now Hotel Manager. We have know Dustin since before he was Guest Relations Manager. I think we first got to know him in 2008. We are very proud of his promotions.

would you believe we are moving already , Sail Away was at 4 but we left the pier at 3:10.

ALASKA, Here We Come 😃

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I wish I'd stowed away with you, lol. Any trip to AK is a good trip and AK weather is quite preferable to our triple digits.

I thought the same thing. ☺️

Lisa, I hope you and Tom have a wonderful, relaxing cruise.

B

Edited by bellebaby