Insignia and hurricanes

Pappy1258

? - could you explain ...are you currently onboard?   We have friends onboard and have not heard anything,

According to cruise mapper it is on it's way to Bermuda

Oceania Insignia current location is at North West Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 32.29208 N / -64.78351 W) cruising en route to US NYC>BM BDA. The AIS position was reported 2 hours ago.

Edited by basor

I read a report on the NCL board from someone who has a friend on Insignia that passengers were not permitted off the ship today.

Conditions were bad enough that a tug was used to keep the ship docked as the winds were trying to push the ship away.

The passengers may be able to spend time ashore tomorrow if they wish as the winds should lessen. 

With the ship not scheduled to depart Bermuda until Monday morning it should be able to get back to NY on time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

so not sure why they would not be able to get off 

The center of Idalia passed about 30 mi S of Hamilton as a "tropical storm".

Not sure I'd want to get off with "severe gale" (50mph) winds and "+SHRA" (heavy rain showers).  I'm allergic to horizontal precipitation.  😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

The center of Idalia passed about 30 mi S of Hamilton as a "tropical storm".

Not sure I'd want to get off with "severe gale" (50mph) winds and "+SHRA" (heavy rain showers).  I'm allergic to horizontal precipitation.  😳

You can be wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be wet.  

If anyone saw what happened to the P&O ship Britannia last week in Palma will understand why they probably don’t want to chance using a gangplank or bridge in a tropical storm.

If you don’t know, Britannia’s lines broke, she hit a nearby tanker, a couple of lifeboats were damaged and 300 passengers had to fly home as the ship couldn’t sail at it’s full capacity due to the decreased lifeboat capacity. 

An abundance of caution is a good thing where Mother Nature is concerned. 

• Like 2

Hello from Insignia!  We are currently onboard and docked in Hamilton. It had been an interesting cruise itinerary wise for sure!  I can type up more once I’m home with a real keyboard but yes, yesterday we were docked all day in Hamilton with the gangway stowed. Late in the afternoon, just before tea, the weather improved enough that anyone who wanted to go ashore could. We are docked all day today with the gangway open until departure tomorrow morning. 

I do feel sorry for those who booked this cruise to go to Bermuda and have such terrible weather and to loose yesterday docked in port, but nothing we can do about bad tropical weather. 

For the most part people are happy and fine onboard. There are a few sour grapes who think the captain has personally set out to destroy their vacation, but I’m sure they’d have the same opinion on any ship with any changes. 

Initially we missed St. George and went straight to Hamilton. At one point we were going to depart Bermuda yesterday morning and the head to Boston and back to NYC docking Tuesday afternoon.  The prospect of going to Boston was good news for some of us, but not for everyone naturally. When we couldn’t depart yesterday the iten. Was adjusted back to our original Hamilton departure. 

overall this has been ab excellent Oceania cruise and would happily repeat it!

if you have any questions feel free to ask and I’ll try my best to respond. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

at least you are all safe 

Cruising at this time of year  on the east coast is a  crap shoot

We are  doing Can/NE  this month & if we make all the ports it will be a bonus

Safe travels

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Safe travels

I agree!  Personally I’d rather not cruise from NY in July or August but that’s when Insignia was here. 

Having seen the very narrow channel they have to navigate with rocks appearing to be right below the surface (I know they are not) I can imagine bad weather makes that very dicey.  Love the grumpy attitude - makes me think of children who thought I got up each morning thinking of ways to irritate them. 😎

1 hour ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Having seen the very narrow channel they have to navigate with rocks appearing to be right below the surface (I know they are not) I can imagine bad weather makes that very dicey.  Love the grumpy attitude - makes me think of children who thought I got up each morning thinking of ways to irritate them. 😎

when the initial announcement was made about missing St. George those who have sailed into that port, and have seen the entrance, know how little room there is for error and completely understood missing St. George. 

Another example of the grumpy attitude…I was walking down the corridor when the captain made the announcement about the gangway reopening he mentioned the buses have stopped running on the island. There was a guest who was poking her head out of her cabin door to hear the announcement and when she heard that she snapped, “Oh for ….can this ship get anything right?  How the ….can we get anywhere with no buses?!”  Once again another example of Oceania/NCLH working hand in hand with Bermuda to ruin her plans! 🤔😀

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

Was/is there another ship besides Insignia in port in Hamilton?

NCL Joy is out at the dockyard. No other cruise ship in Hamilton. 

• Haha 4

Over the years, we have cruised at least 20 times from NY to BDA... 3 times in a row on Regent/ Radisson Navigator and we were NEVER the only small ship on Front St.  It was fun to see other ships up close and personal but perhaps the rules have changed.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Safe travels

Yep, and I will be in a sling  which will cause some adjustments to ly touring plans.

4 hours ago, fizzy said:

Over the years, we have cruised at least 20 times from NY to BDA... 3 times in a row on Regent/ Radisson Navigator and we were NEVER the only small ship on Front St.  It was fun to see other ships up close and personal but perhaps the rules have changed.

It's been many years since Hamilton could accommodate two ships. They tore down Hamilton Pier One a long time ago and there's now a parking lot where that cruise terminal used to be.

13 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's been many years since Hamilton could accommodate two ships. They tore down Hamilton Pier One a long time ago and there's now a parking lot where that cruise terminal used to be.

Exactly what I was going to say!  

How does one of the smaller ships like Insignia handle high seas? I understand the crossing from NY to Bermuda can be dicey. We just did the crossing on Celebrity Summit, and it was fine, but that is a larger ship and the seas were fairly calm. We are O converts after our Riviera cruise last March, so just curious about the smaller ships as well.