The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 3rd, 2023

richwmn

Busy morning. Picked up my DMiL at 6:30am and took her to her church. After we had breakfast and then I took her to the cemetery so she could put flowers on her DH’s grave. Home by 10:30am. 

Cloudy and humid with drizzles this morning. I’m glad for the lower temps. Higher temps are coming this weekend. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Bon Voyage @luvteaching and @Crazy For Cats ! 🛳️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Have to head out to the store before it gets too crowded so will read through everything later. But I wanted to tell @aliaschief---You are in one of my favorite places. A few (quite a few) years ago my next door neighbor and I would spend a several weeks along that section of coast.... together with 1 Alaskan Malamute, 4 scottish terriers and 1 west highland white terrier. We had beach lodgings and all of us had a wonderful time. We had the same lodgings for about 5 years straight.... the owner was great about the dogs.  All of us loved the Oregon coast. Would love to go back again but someone else would have to drive.

Susan

We are in Depoe Bay but to be specific the beach house is on Bella Beach. Tides coming in and there’s some big ten foot waves roaring in. It is a great area to visit.

• Like 19

Such sad news about Baby Murphy and I'm hoping for a miracle but proud of the family for making a tough decision.  Not sure how much such a young baby can really experiencing suffering but a dignified death may be what's best.

Roy

• Like 16

7 hours ago, cruising sister said:

A quick update on Murphy. They had a care conference and not much new but the parents decided no trach and she is a DNR if she codes again. CT scan of head did not show much more than the head ultrasounds she has been getting (small area from previous stroke). She can not get an MRI until the pacemaker is removed. My niece is donating breast milk as she has way more than Murphy will use. So sad for this young couple. 

🥺 Praying for a miracle. 🙏

• Like 15

5 hours ago, luvteaching said:

I'm a bit teary this morning but I figured I would be. The tears are right there behind the eyes. I tell people I was born with my bladder behind my eyes and I tend to leak! It gets a smile. 

that’s a smart answer Karen but I know what it’s all about.  It’s scary and sad to do it alone without the person who you always did it with and loved, I know.

Hang in there - I hope you have wonderful time - don’t get me wrong - the tears will come at times - you can’t stop grief.  I pray that the cruise gives you some peace and some moments of happiness.  Have a wonderful time.

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Here’s a few pics of our rented beach house in Depoe Beach, Oregon. Probably going to be a cloudy day and the Pacific is still churning. Planning on reading plus enjoying the view and inhaling that sea air.

Life is good.

image.thumb.jpeg.61df6251b323c0cffa48bf02bdf35876.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c91786ee8c7bef70c3ceba7266c7c2c1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.57cbb84ff3718c0811aafa9a5823aff5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.939060b1e071de7b0a6ec92b16609295.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7af0ca9ec03a8db45c2e3165c0ddfb2c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.389fcbaf3c166ac06130d4e92d54d792.jpeg

Lovely, Bruce.  Looks very comfortable and relaxing.  Enjoy 🙂 

3 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I like just being able to say the magic words “in transit” and bypassing all the lines.

One of my favourite words on a cruise ship (except in San Diego where they still make you walk miles) 😉. No luggage of yours need be out while you survey the hallways and for you it’s just turn around day.   Have a great turnaround day and savour it 🙂 

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

There is a ship docked near the Zaandam in Montreal that might look familiar to many of you. 

IMG_1980.thumb.jpeg.e4822a20c85b25caff9494852da08f03.jpeg

I am pretty sure that the Amera used to be the Prinsendam. 

Sure is the Prinsendam.  My favourite ship in the fleet.  Is it too late in my life to learn German?  😂 

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We made to the ship! Embarkation went quickly and we unpacked.

Flowers for DH were delivered.  He seemed surprised that I remembered. 

20230903_130908.thumb.jpg.5362e47beb1446cb8644a68c13afba69.jpg

So nice.  🙂Did he like them?  I sure hope so.  

How DARE he be surprised that you remembered.  We knew you wouldn’t 😉 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Ms Crystal. I give it two Tums up!  Was so excited several years ago when Tillamook Ice Cream made it to Florida in Publix.  But became very disappointed when the ice cream did not taste at all like at the Plant. Me thinks the fat content has been lowered signficantly. 😩

It's been more than ten years since we spent any time in Oregon and had Tillamook Ice Cream.  We can get it in our local grocery store, but with Blue Bell readily available, why get an import.  While we enjoyed Tillamook, we discovered Umpqua ice cream which we liked even better.  It is more a southern Oregon ice cream.

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We made to the ship! Embarkation went quickly and we unpacked.

Flowers for DH were delivered.  He seemed surprised that I remembered. 

20230903_130908.thumb.jpg.5362e47beb1446cb8644a68c13afba69.jpg

Lunch was the taco bar followed by a Mango daiquiri.

20230903_133342.thumb.jpg.251111b5d7e15fb9393377788b9c54d8.jpg

20230903_134427.thumb.jpg.17c18be81c7c5ca9faf5547b6de579d4.jpg

Jake, I'm glad you and your DH had an easy embarkation.  Love the flowers for you DH.

Lenda

• Like 19

I like skyscrapers. Funny guy that Milton Berle was.

@ottahand7 the Monarch picture is beautiful  - I hope you don't mind I saved it.

@HAL4NOW Turnaround Day may be my favorite day - it does feel different; I smile seeing the luggage in the hall the night before knowing mine will not be there.

@Quartzsite Cruiser the Mask Carvers and Cab Driver stories remind me of a shakedown we saw a few years ago in Belize. DS & I were looking at some beaded Christmas ornaments, listening to a young lady proudly describe how she made them when a man walked over to the only other person in the shop - a man who worked there. He very loudly and firmly demanded the worker man give him his money; he wasn't pleased when told the amount he was given was all there was.

It had been raining 🌧 off & on all day and was still very cloudy, so likely they had not made many sales. With All Aboard in less than an hour, probably not much more to come. He said there better be more when he returned then left taking with him all the money the man showed him. 

The young lady told us the worker man was her father and the other man provided "protection" for him & her family. She said many times they had no money after working all day because the man thought it wasn't enough and wanted more. She said on busier days they will divide out hiding part of what they bring in so if he grabs the pouch himself he won't get it all and they'll have something for themselves, but due to the poor weather today, there wasn't really anything to divide. He got away with everything they had.

It was heartbreaking. 

It was 79 when I checked at 5:40 this morning, no desire to know how far it's climbed - forecast is triple digits w/no rain. Ugh

Mechanic called - a/c was a simple fix (yay!), but dashboard gauges continue to freeze, so 🤷 🤔 

Mini Max the cat seems to have decided Athena the dog is the best pillow in the house; if he's happy and dog doesn't mind, who am I to say he's not right? Ah, to have such simple problems...

I see the surgeon 1st Tues in Oct and will continue pushing through PT hoping he's pleased w/the progress.

Oh, Baby Murphy 🙏

Safe travels to all who are away from home. 

Prayers and well wishes to all on the Care List.

Happy Birthday 🎂 🥳 to those born in Sept.

Screenshot_20230903-054121_Weather.jpg

20230903_153330.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

@Haljo1935 no problem.  I got some better ones today but pretty pooped at the end of this day.  I loved it when we had our Grand South America Facebook group and everyone was ok with sharing photos as long as we weren't publishing it for profit.  We couldn't get everywhere and or get great photos. Please feel free to save them.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, superoma said:

Next stop, point pelee national park, the southern most spit of land in Canada. The monarch’s are starting to gather and will do so for much of September, waiting there for the right wind to carry them across the lake. I have never personally witnessed the gathering even though point pelee is only about 40 miles from us, but the local news reports on the migration as well as updates on the parks Canada website.

The ones that are here in my garden will catch a wind and head south over Wisconsin.  When we drive home next Sunday we may see a lot of them that all gather on the Garden Peninsula on Lake Michigan to wait for a favorable southerly wind to push them across the lake.  They are still busily feeding here this afternoon.  

• Like 19

We had a little rain, but not enough to measure.  We also had a lot of wind that blew some of our neighbor's cut crape myrtle braches into the street and into our port.  The worse was some of the siding they had replaced earlier this year was blown off their house.  DH's wind guage measured one gust at 33 mph, and the guage is not in the best place to get an accurate reading. They don't live here and have the house for sale.  Our next door neighbors are their friends, so I'm sure they will let them know what happened.  We didn’t have any damage.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

It’s a cloudy, cool afternoon and perfect for visiting the grand kitties. 

I was happy to hear that even though DDIL had a rough night, her fever broke this afternoon. DS is still testing negative so far. 

Soot

IMG_0979.thumb.jpeg.a5952b1775aee313b4705c5b59c6bb21.jpeg

Smudge

IMG_0988.thumb.jpeg.206c39ff75ea703b02c4a6a65a95a99a.jpeg

Carolyn, I'm sorry your DDIL had a rough night, but I'm glad her fever broke.  I hope your DS continues to test negative.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good night friends. Good morning friends afar!  
I’m fried but here in NY safe and sound. Thank you for all the good wishes.  Made it in 5 hours, wish we’d have had that many hrs sleep!  But we rotated driving. Traffic was light. 

Got a call just as we were changing drivers once, a dear friend died this morning, her husband called me himself around noon. She had not been sick but not well, aging rapidly the last few years. 88. We had planned to see them in TX in .December just before our granddaughter’s wedding in San Antonio but hopefully we’ll see him. I’m sad but it’s more than sadness, it’s an emptiness and a loss of my own history. They were more than friends, also mentors. 

Upon arrival in NY we were whisked off to a tour of grandkids’ work environment then they made supper. So nice, I just wish I wasn’t so fried. Will see them tomorrow, should feel better. The messed up key lime pie was great, they all enjoyed it even with the whole eggs instead of just the yolks, Lenda was right!  Never a doubt!  😉

Praying for Amazing for baby Murphy!  Some people’s life is long, some short but we are touched by each one as I feel blessed by each of you!  I’m sorry I won’t be online for my cruise!  I’ll miss you all. 

@aliaschief I recommend Umpqua ice cream in Oregon!  

m—

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

I’m fried but here in NY safe and sound. Thank you for all the good wishes.  Made it in 5 hours, wish we’d have had that many hrs sleep!  But we rotated driving. Traffic was light. 

Got a call just as we were changing drivers once, a dear friend died this morning, her husband called me himself around noon. She had not been sick but not well, aging rapidly the last few years. 88. We had planned to see them in TX in .December just before our granddaughter’s wedding in San Antonio but hopefully we’ll see him. I’m sad but it’s more than sadness, it’s an emptiness and a loss of my own history. They were more than friends, also mentors. 

Upon arrival in NY we were whisked off to a tour of grandkids’ work environment then they made supper. So nice, I just wish I wasn’t so fried. Will see them tomorrow, should feel better. The messed up key lime pie was great, they all enjoyed it even with the whole eggs instead of just the yolks, Lenda was right!  Never a doubt!  😉

Praying for Amazing for baby Murphy!  Some people’s life is long, some short but we are touched by each one as I feel blessed by each of you!  I’m sorry I won’t be online for my cruise!  I’ll miss you all. 

m—

I'm sorry to hear your sad news Maureen.

Condolences to you and all of your dear friends family and friends.

with-heartfelt-sympathy-condolence-0jwiwbf1fmc41fyh.gif

• Like 7

7 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Oh Maureen - I am so sorry to hear this and your loss. 😔 My condolences to you and your friend’s DH and family.  You are all in my prayers 🙏 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

m—

Maureen, our deepest condolences on the passing of your dear friend.  I hope when the shock wears off, you will find comfort in your memories of her and her DH.  I'm glad you arrived in NY safely, and hope you got some rest last night.  BTW, I'm happy the pie was good.

Lenda

• Like 6