Formal attire

We went on the symphony in December and even though we had a formal night, it was more like cocktail night. People were dressed nice, but not formal in any way. I wore a fancy short cocktail dress and my husband wore a dressy button up collar shirt with no tie and we were fine. It was my fanciest cocktail dress out of the other ones I had brought so I felt a little more dressed up. There were other people there very casual with jeans and polos and then some ladies with gowns but everything was very casual, wear what you want type night. I dont think I saw one person wearing a tux. If they did, they were taking pictures. But like others said, cruises now are wear what you want so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just choose a nice dress for formal night and you'll be fine.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:57 AM, TangerineWillow said:

Been a while since cruising RCL, are formal nights respected or is it a wear what you want evening.Explorer in a few weeks just need to know if I should take a tux

3 hours ago, TangerineWillow said:

Strange, thought cruise critic was there to help, asked a simple question about atrire on RCL and get loads of unhelpful comments about shorts, wear what we want. Thats fine got some sensible responses as well. Topic close for me , I will see in October when we cruise. Thx

LOL I hate it when folks answer the question I asked.

• Like 1

I noticed on recent August 15th, Ovation of the seas cruise that people just don't attend Formal nights due to people not wanting to deal with dress code pressure. Many people probably didn't want to feel under dressed and just passed on that night. The dining room had half as many people attending compared to previous nights in main dining room. Taking a formal outfit with shoes that will probably only be worn for 4 hours takes up a lot of luggage space and usually puts luggage over 50 lbs.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sjo said:

I noticed on recent August 15th, Ovation of the seas cruise that people just don't attend Formal nights due to people not wanting to deal with dress code pressure. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The two formal/dress your best nights on our Greek Isles cruise we’re absolute chaos. Everyone must have been in the MDR.

It was all handled very well by Royal in fairness.

Edited by Tin can

11 hours ago, TangerineWillow said:

Strange, thought cruise critic was there to help, asked a simple question about atrire on RCL and get loads of unhelpful comments about shorts, wear what we want. Thats fine got some sensible responses as well. Topic close for me , I will see in October when we cruise. Thx

You asked a question, yes. However, you also made a comment about having people removed. Did you not think there would be a response?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TangerineWillow said:

I just reacted, would never ask for people to be removed, simply wanted to know what RCL standards are, finished now

Well folks here don't know you personally. They took you at your word. It was a bold statement. Reactions to it were inevitable. I agree though. It's been fully beaten to death. LOL. You have clarified. The end.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 10:35 PM, danv3 said:

You will be overdressed in a tuxedo.   You may or may not care about that, but you will be in a much smaller minority than those in shorts.  

On our med cruise this summer our table mates wore dinner jackets on formal nights. Ex UK there are  often Scottish Kilts and dinner jackets worn (at least there was on my last UK cruise a few years ago)

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 7:33 AM, smokeybandit said:

In short, wear what you want.

Thing is, most of us don't want to just wear "whatever".  Most of us want to wear something that'll reasonably fit in -- not aiming for the top or the bottom.  Most of us like to be prepared and know kinda what others will be wearing.  

On 9/5/2023 at 8:51 AM, George C said:

There is no dress code on rccl , or if there is it isn’t enforced, I used to wear a tux on formal stopped that more than 5 years ago , you will see a few people dressed formally but it is rare . I am glad we have dozens of free pictures of us in formal wear, wife still dresses up , I don’t ever wear a sports jacket.

Eh, no, this isn't what I've seen recently.  I'd say 30% of the people in the MDR "make an effort" on formal night -- more like cocktail dresses and suits than gowns and tuxes, but dressing up isn't "rare".  If you choose to dress up, you won't feel out of place.  

On 9/5/2023 at 9:10 AM, Jetdriver787 said:

It should really be renamed “photography revenue enhancement night!” Cunard aside, the days of a gentleman in a top hat reaching into one of his 6 steamer trunks for tonight’s tuxedo, never had to deal with todays “lo-cost” airlines baggage policy! 

- Nothing wrong with wanting some nice family pictures, and it's easy:  Walk right up, the photographer's waiting.  No making an appointment, transporting the family.  

- No gentleman ever reached into one of his six steamer trunks for his evening garb.  His valet did that.  

On 9/7/2023 at 6:33 AM, nolegirl01 said:

We went on the symphony in December and even though we had a formal night, it was more like cocktail night. People were dressed nice, but not formal in any way. I wore a fancy short cocktail dress and my husband wore a dressy button up collar shirt with no tie and we were fine. It was my fanciest cocktail dress out of the other ones I had brought so I felt a little more dressed up ... 

This is typical of the 30% I just mentioned dressing up.  Though I do think most of the men in that category had a jacket or sports coat.  

22 hours ago, Sjo said:

Taking a formal outfit with shoes that will probably only be worn for 4 hours takes up a lot of luggage space and usually puts luggage over 50 lbs.  

- Plan one pair of shoes that'll work for ALL your dinner outfits.  That's the single biggest space saver.  

- Fold your dress carefully -- so many You Tube videos show you how -- and you can fit a lot into a single suitcase. 

- Many of us don't fly /aren't concerned about weight.  I know my suitcases don't come anywhere close to 50 lbs.  

3 minutes ago, edwrawhide said:

The best dressed sets the standard. Everyone else is underdressed. 

Disagree.  Overdressed is still out of place; for example, every now and then one of my high school students wears a cocktail dress to school.  (Looks great with a Jansport backpack.). Obviously I don't point out the kids' questionable choice, but overdressed for the occasion is no better than underdressed.  

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thing is, most of us don't want to just wear "whatever".  Most of us want to wear something that'll reasonably fit in -- not aiming for the top or the bottom.  Most of us like to be prepared and know kinda what others will be wearing.  

Wearing what you want will make you fit in since there will be all manners of attire in the MDR on formal night. Wear a tux/evening gown? You'll fit in. Wear shorts and a t-shirt? You'll fit in.  

37 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, no, this isn't what I've seen recently.  I'd say 30% of the people in the MDR "make an effort" on formal night -- more like cocktail dresses and suits than gowns and tuxes, but dressing up isn't "rare".  If you choose to dress up, you won't feel out of place.  

- Nothing wrong with wanting some nice family pictures, and it's easy:  Walk right up, the photographer's waiting.  No making an appointment, transporting the family.  

- No gentleman ever reached into one of his six steamer trunks for his evening garb.  His valet did that.  

This is typical of the 30% I just mentioned dressing up.  Though I do think most of the men in that category had a jacket or sports coat.  

- Plan one pair of shoes that'll work for ALL your dinner outfits.  That's the single biggest space saver.  

- Fold your dress carefully -- so many You Tube videos show you how -- and you can fit a lot into a single suitcase. 

- Many of us don't fly /aren't concerned about weight.  I know my suitcases don't come anywhere close to 50 lbs.  

Disagree.  Overdressed is still out of place; for example, every now and then one of my high school students wears a cocktail dress to school.  (Looks great with a Jansport backpack.). Obviously I don't point out the kids' questionable choice, but overdressed for the occasion is no better than underdressed.  

What is appropriate and inappropriate in a classroom is a topic more suited for the forums of StudentCritic. We're discussing evening attire on cruise ships.