Ordering off menu ?

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

On the Edge and Beyond we were in aqua class and were not able to order starters such as caesars salad/onion soup in Blu, I believe because the dining room was in a distance.

We will be on the Equinox and wondering if we are allowed to order items from the MDR in Blu on this ship?

2 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

On the Edge and Beyond we were in aqua class and were not able to order starters such as caesars salad/onion soup in Blu, I believe because the dining room was in a distance.

We will be on the Equinox and wondering if we are allowed to order items from the MDR in Blu on this ship?

That's actually not correct. Blu is right above all the restaurants. It's Luminae that's nowhere near the MDRs. We were able to order MDR entrees and salads when we were on the Beyond last October. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

I think it depends on the Maitre D' in Blu.

(And possibly your waiter)

We were on the Equinox for 5 weeks last winter and the Maitre D' (and our wonderful waiter) were totally fine with letting people order off menu items that were available from the MDR.

But we've been in Blu many times when that wasn't allowed.

• Like 1

We have been in Blu many times on all 3 classes  of ships and have always been able to get the Classic items as well as things like French fries and baked potatoes.  They told us they have these items in the Blu kitchen.  The MDR daily entrees require someone going from Blu to the MDR kitchen, which takes them away from the other guests.  If staff is plentiful no problem but is staffing is tight  likely not happening.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

Those items are on the  Classic everyday menu and are available in Blu.  I ordered them a couple of times in Blu on the Beyond.   However, I was not able to order any entrees from the MDRs.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwokpot said:

That's actually not correct. Blu is right above all the restaurants. It's Luminae that's nowhere near the MDRs. We were able to order MDR entrees and salads when we were on the Beyond last October. 

Was hoping this was the case.  Have always been able to get French onion and MDR entrees in Blu when on the S & M class ships.  Will be on my first E class ship in Jan 24 in Aqua.  

5 hours ago, keesar said:

Those items are on the  Classic everyday menu and are available in Blu.  I ordered them a couple of times in Blu on the Beyond.   However, I was not able to order any entrees from the MDRs.  

Experienced the exact same in Blu on the Beyond this past May

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I guess I had a bad waiter who lied to me.  That is very unfortunate, because of that it left a bad taste in my mouth to go back to Blu.

12 hours ago, chamima said:

I think it depends on the Maitre D' in Blu.

(And possibly your waiter)

We were on the Equinox for 5 weeks last winter and the Maitre D' (and our wonderful waiter) were totally fine with letting people order off menu items that were available from the MDR.

But we've been in Blu many times when that wasn't allowed.

Yes, I had a bad waiter after hearing you and others were allowed, we were told a straight no, which made us feel Blu was nothing special.  Hopefully on this next cruise on the Equinox we have a good service and they meet our expectations and I will rave about them instead of putting Blu down as we do not care for many of the offerings on the menu there.

10 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Yes, I had a bad waiter after hearing you and others were allowed, we were told a straight no, which made us feel Blu was nothing special.  Hopefully on this next cruise on the Equinox we have a good service and they meet our expectations and I will rave about them instead of putting Blu down as we do not care for many of the offerings on the menu there.

Just know that on S-class ships the MDR kitchen is really far from Blu so when you get something from there it means someone has to spend a lot of time getting your order. Try to eat during non busy times (like after 8 ) so the already stressed staff  isn't even more stressed because they're short handed while someone is getting that special order).

You can always also ask to see the next day's menu(s) so you can give them a heads up in advance.

29 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Don’t blame the waiters, they are doing as they are told.  Whether or not a waiter can leave the dining room and go to another kitchen to get an order is the decision of the management not the waiter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chamima said:

Just know that on S-class ships the MDR kitchen is really far from Blu so when you get something from there it means someone has to spend a lot of time getting your order. Try to eat during non busy times (like after 8 ) so the already stressed staff  isn't even more stressed because they're short handed while someone is getting that special order).

You can always also ask to see the next day's menu(s) so you can give them a heads up in advance.

On the S class ships Blu is on deck 5. The MDR kitchen is on deck 4. Blu sits on top of the MDR kitchen.

50 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

On the S class ships Blu is on deck 5. The MDR kitchen is on deck 4. Blu sits on top of the MDR kitchen.

Unless they have stairs or escalator the waiter would have to go to mid ship down a floor to 4 then to the aft to get the dish.  Then reverse to get back to Blu.

32 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Unless they have stairs or escalator the waiter would have to go to mid ship down a floor to 4 then to the aft to get the dish.  Then reverse to get back to Blu.

While I'm not up during the middle of the night. How does X get supplies to the Blu and Murano's kitchen on deck 5. Tuscan Grille also has a kitchen on deck 5. I would be very surprised if X uses guest stairs or elevators to bring in supplies.