Food is different on Oceania

stevesol6718

10 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Did you have the already prepared scrambled eggs or at the grille where made fresh? Few months ago on Vista had the already prepared ones and they were not too good. From the grille, excellent in my case. 

It was the already prepared scrambled eggs. 

Like I said, that the was only food I had on the whole cruise that didn't live up to quality.

19 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Like I said, that the was only food I had on the whole cruise that didn't live up to quality.

Only get the fresh cooked ones  the other are terrible  😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevesol6718 said:

When we sailed in June on the Marina, the specialty restaurants seemed back to normal.  However, the main dining room was still not good for dinner.  

I asked several of the staff why?  They all seemed to sheepishly say that Oceania was now using Norwegian's supply chain. That could very well be a reason.  

If the  "Norwegian's supply chain"  comment were true it would also affect the specialty restaurants, but you say they "seemed back to normal".

It's a BS answer probably being used as an excuse for the head chef for the GDR not being very good.

"Oceania people" have been in charge of both Oceania and NCLH all along save a period of time immediately after Oceania was absorbed into NCLH when Kevin Sheehan headed NCLH. FDR took the NCLH reins from Sheehan in (if IIRC) 2015.

Edited by njhorseman

5 hours ago, ATWCruiser said:

If you go on a long cruise, we find that who the head chef is makes a difference.  For instance, we were on ATW 2015 and we had 4 chefs in that span of time.  The first chef was excellent.  The 2nd chef was good.  Then it went downhill from there.  On our last cruise on Marina around the Caribbean for 10 days in Dec 2022, my meal at Polo wasn't as good as before. 

I agree 100%. I've seen almost overnight 180 degree swings in quality in either direction when a new executive chef comes aboard during a cruise...and not just on Oceania.

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Did you have the already prepared scrambled eggs or at the grille where made fresh? Few months ago on Vista had the already prepared ones and they were not too good. From the grille, excellent in my case. 

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Yes, you definitely have to ask for fresh scrambled eggs. Invariably it's almost impossible to get the good ones when you order in the MDR. I've pretty much quit frustrating myself and have stopped ordering them anywhere except The Terrace where I can actually see the fresh ones go in the pan. I'm a big fan of scrambled eggs. 

That stuff sitting in the pan is swill. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I sincerely do not believe that this is only on Oceania….I think this is common on many lines, including some ‘luxury’ lines. JMO

Yep, or pretty much any hotel buffet or just about any breakfast buffet in general. Definitely not just Oceania. 

• Like 5

On 9/6/2023 at 7:52 PM, ORV said:

I'm just curious why you waited 7 or 8 months to let us know this vital information. 

He wasn’t a Cruise Critic member when he took this cruise.  He didn’t mention what he didn’t like about the food, so not enough to take away from his initial post on Cruise Critic.  Seems like he is saying the ingredients aren’t fresh and come from cans like on mass market lines. Just not a lot of credibility in that, unless he knows something.

15 hours ago, ruthnlarry said:

Was Chef Vijay the head chef on Nautica in Terraces?  He was on our January cruise on Nautica from Cape Town, and the food was the worse that we have ever had on Oceania.  The food was not served at the proper temperature.  Even the soup was room temp.  When I informed Chef Vijay of the problem, he said that he could take mine and heat it.  However, this would do nothing for the others in Terraces.  The carved meats were the toughest that I ever had.  Chef Vijay came by and asked what was wrong, and I told him that I could not even cut the meat.  Chef Vijay's response was that he could take it back to the kitchen and cook it some more.  This would not solve the problem.  It would only make matters worse.

During the cruise, I even talked with the GM about the problems with food.

We have had 2 cruises since Nautica.  The food on our Feb. Regatta cruise and recent Vista cruise was excellent.  We just hope that our experience on Nautica was an anomaly, and has been corrected.

We were on that sailing also. I was served bloody chicken and after sending it back the Captain came to apologize but that was it. I was too skeeved (a NY term) to eat there again. Chef Vijay was pleasant but cold food served with a smile still doesn't do it for me. Some folks clearly liked the food but we didn't.  Understand that food is mostly subjective. We'll be giving O another chance (because if itinerary, not food) in February on Marina for 51 days, so we hope it will be better than Nautica.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The Terrace  no matter what ship you are on  have a bad  habit of not having hot food in in the  ready made trays & no hot water under  in the pans so how would the food be hot

The only way to get hot food is to go to the grill & made to order stations 

I gave up on eating in the Terrace unless it was cold food I wanted like salads or fruit/desserts

Try WAVES   for breakfast & lunch

JMO

If they use the proper containers water isn't needed.  The Terrace Cafe doesn't use older style steam trays, they use induction to keep things warm.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradpole said:

If they use the proper containers water isn't needed.  The Terrace Cafe doesn't use older style steam trays, they use induction to keep things warm.  

Well pre covid  they obviously were not working on out cruises

If you did not get  a dish that just came from the kitchen it was luke warm

JME

• Like 1