Seriously now-how many of you are REALLY looking at other cruise lines because of the CEO's changes going on?

Linda W.

We were Princess devotees, suite and Elite guests until 6 years ago when we swapped to X since we felt Princess were slipping, asking more for less and X seemed to be 'all singing all dancing', and we fell in love with X and Edge class.

However, after just returning from an SS on Apex we noticed the shine had gone off, Luminae was quite disappointing in food and service, the perks slightly diminishing and it didn't seem as 'special' as it used to be.

Then I see the new President's way of things and further cut backs, we have excitedly moved our quite large ££ spend to Princess and the new Star Princess in July 25, with their new 'Signature' suite concept of restaurant, lounge and deck area for suite guests. On the face of it, it seems to be better value with the AI element still in tact plus quite a few perks to be had. We will rest X and look forward to go back to Princess after 6 years and to be very excited about that prospect. It is a huge shame, but we have freedom of choice, so I am now exercising it!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

I know, the cruise lines state all is great, fully booked etc - well I am not required to believe them.

As prices rise, consumers undertake more analysis and can end up with purchase decisions that are different than in the past.

There is a world of travel options out there, outside cruises.

I loosely follow the main cruise line financials, and they would be in deep trouble if they fudged the advanced booking data in their quarterlies. 

The lines are all fat and happy right now with full ships, and they’re clawing back every penny of lost pandemic revenue that they can while they can. 

I do believe the change in the price/value equation is going to hit X hard down the road, much more than their parent line Royal. We may see it eventually, but not quite yet. 

I think RCI have made a fundamental miscalculation about who the Celebrity customer is and how easy it will be to replace the “malcontents”  they drive off. I believe it will eventually catch up with them as those hard to replace guests sail away to alternative lines or vacation types. 

When and if this happens (my theories aren’t always accurate) RCI may not suffer that much as the target passenger for Royal is easier to replace than for X and the overall company may continue to prosper even as X suffers.  

Turning X into a true mass market line doesn’t make sense to me. There are already plenty of cruise lines in that space who can do it better (Carnival, Royal, MSC, NCL, etc.). For years X has owned that sweet spot between mass market and luxury, and that model depends on repeaters like those on this board to work.

• Like 12

Reading all your comments and thinking about how my feelings have changed in the last year. We are Elite plus and usually sail in Concierge cabins but occasionally in a Sky Suite, if I can get a good price. We currently have 8 cruises booked, 7 on Celebrity and 1 on Royal. Four of these cruises are expanded budget, bucket list cruises.

Although I like Celebrity, I am concerned about the little changes that make a significant difference. Currently, I am not booking any new cruises for obvious reasons (I have enough booked, and I am not sure how things will settle out for Celebrity long term).

So where my old bucket list consisted of cruise destinations, it now contains cruises lines that I would like to try. Cunard and Viking Ocean are at the top of our list. I am willing to cruise less and pay more if it means that I will have a better experience. I am looking for a price point that is somewhere between Concierge class and a Sky Suite.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

Cruise lines should be on the alert for cruise passengers NOT cruising.

You are assuming there has been a decline in the number of people cruising.

While perhaps there has been an increase in complaint threads and posts of CC's X forum that can't be equated to a decline in passenger bookings.

With an average of 56,000 passengers sailing on a weekly basis just on X alone, X (or any other line) can't (won't) keep track of former passengers who are no longer sailing. 99.9% of the time they have no idea who you are until you have booked and then that focus is limited to the crew on the ship which you have booked.  And even then not until just prior to your booking.

There are any numbers of reasons prior passengers are not booking cruises; one and done-not their thing or not their type of line, health, age, interest, etc. When was the last time you received a survey from X, or any other line (cruise or air) that asked why you aren't traveling with them more often?  Or, Hey...what is it going to take to travel with us again?!?  You might get that kind of question from a TA, but not lines.

With some unique exceptions,  X, RCCL, Carnival, Oceania, Azamara, MSC, or any of the other lines don't know who we are.  They don't have a code book that deciphers our online pseudonyms for them and if they did they wouldn't burn sunlight and corporate dollars trying to figure out who we are.

The best anyone can hope comes out of a thread like this, is that someone in corporate monitors them.  Not that they will do anything other than monitor them.

The days of perceived intimacy a frequent cruiser had with their chosen cruise line began to sink with the replacement of 6-700 passenger ships with those that now carry closer to 3,000.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

With an average of 56,000 passengers sailing on a weekly basis just on X alone, X (or any other line) can't (won't) keep track of former passengers who are no longer sailing. 99.9% of the time they have no idea who you are until you have booked and then that focus is limited to the crew on the ship which you have booked.  And even then not until just prior to your booking.

There are any numbers of reasons prior passengers are not booking cruises; one and done-not their thing or not their type of line, health, age, interest, etc. When was the last time you received a survey from X, or any other line (cruise or air) that asked why you aren't traveling with them more often?  Or, Hey...what is it going to take to travel with us again?!?  You might get that kind of question from a TA, but not lines.

With some unique exceptions,  X, RCCL, Carnival, Oceania, Azamara, MSC, or any of the other lines don't know who we are.  They don't have a code book that deciphers our online pseudonyms for them and if they did they wouldn't burn sunlight and corporate dollars trying to figure out who we are.

The best anyone can hope comes out of a thread like this, is that someone in corporate monitors them.  Not that they will do anything other than monitor them.

Agreed.  X may notice if many higher level Captains Club cruisers are no longer causing...but that will take a couple of years to discern.  And it's doubtful that they're monitoring these boards closely enough to make a difference.  

I think if people are really upset, write to the Exec Offices and constructively express your opinion.  That direct and proactive feedback is the only real-time way for X to understand what customers are thinking.  And they'll do with that what they will (including doing nothing at all).

• Like 1

Recent comparison Celebrity Concierge (CC) July24-Aug5 vs Princess Balcony(PB) Sep9-Sep16

PRE DEPARTURE

CC no OBC . PB Premier inc 2 speciality dining.
CC app/website let me pre-book excursions & MDR dining times.

PB app let me pre-book excursions &MDR dining times but did not let me pre-book speciality without charging my credit card!

EMBARKATION

No difference. Less than 30 mins from check-in to 1st drink.

STATEROOM

CC available immediate to deposit hand luggage. PB not available until 1pm.

Safety drill exactly the same online method

Room &bathroom slightly smaller on PB no sofa, Balcony similar size.

PB shower had curtains.

FOOD

PB wider choice in MDR and not everything had mashed potatoes! We had the school lunch menus on CC! No NY strip on classic menu (PB). NY strip on main menu 1 night but seriously undercooked combined to Crown Grill speciality which was cooked to perfection. Similar Upgrades in MDR available in both.

smaller buffet options on PB especially indian & asian food. Similar quality.

DRINKS

some drinks, sodas & speciality teas/coffees cheaper on PB. Alcohol similar range & price on CC. On PB  however getting served in buffet & MDR was almost impossible, glass of wine ordered in MDR BEFORE main course arrived AFTER main course.

CC has al Bacio coffee bar which we really enjoy. PB has 4 tables & always served in take-away cups.

SERVICE

PB- More staff avaiable in buffet to assist serving water/teas/coffee. But service in MDR was slow & disorganised.

SHORE EXCURSIONS

CC better organised in assembling & dispatch. PB particularly expensive and not value for money, not that CC offers much value for money either.

ENTERTAINMENT

similar.

OTHER FACILITIES

not used on either so no comments available.

DISEMBARKATION

similar.

POST CRUISE

CC had no experience except the survey did not always consistently asked same questions about each excursion.

PB - waiting to see. We had a port cancelled and OBA credited with port fees &excursions which resulted in a final refund on OBA. Final account showed this amount referred back to corporate finance and still waiting for answer to my email query.

SUMMARY

PB was $50 pppd cheaper. Would use again based on itinerary and price.

CC would not use again but book verandah or AQ cruise only fare

Edited by killaypirate
  • Like 3

I totally agree with you. I have been very loyal to 

celebrity, but they could careless about us. Starting in 2024, they no longer have any repositioning cruises leaving from Rome. It can’t be the port fee, we pay that. But, the biggest sign they don’t care is that I have contacted them twice about it with no reply. I think they have made a mistake investing in the newest mega ships. Bigger doesn’t always mean better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, killaypirate said:

Safety drill exactly the same online method

With Princess, did you have to wait until you were onboard the ship to watch the muster drill on the app or was it like Celebrity where it can be viewed prior to boarding the ship? 

2 minutes ago, doghog said:

With Princess, did you have to wait until you were onboard the ship to watch the muster drill on the app or was it like Celebrity where it can be viewed prior to boarding the ship? 

Didn't try at embarkation, not enough time. Video didn't terminate correctly so it took 3 attempts.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, doghog said:

Truth be told, most of the crew doesn't care, if you don't watch the video before showing up to the muster check in then usually just ask "have you watched the video(s) yet?" if you answer "yes" you're done.  A big reason for this is that if you watch the videos on your TV stateroom there's no way for anyone on X to verify you really did watch it

2 hours ago, Ann DiTullio said:

celebrity, but they could careless about us. Starting in 2024, they no longer have any repositioning cruises leaving from Rome. It can’t be the port fee, we pay that. But, the biggest sign they don’t care is that I have contacted them twice about it with no reply. I think they have made a mistake investing in the newest mega ships. Bigger doesn’t always mean better. 

Write to the exec officers or X's social media, they respond

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Truth be told, most of the crew doesn't care, if you don't watch the video before showing up to the muster check in then usually just ask "have you watched the video(s) yet?" if you answer "yes" you're done.  A big reason for this is that if you watch the videos on your TV stateroom there's no way for anyone on X to verify you really did watch it

"Did you watch the safety video?"

michael-scott-creasing-forehead.gif

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No kidding! That was not the question. 

Edited by doghog

19 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Agreed.  X may notice if many higher level Captains Club cruisers are no longer causing...but that will take a couple of years to discern.  And it's doubtful that they're monitoring these boards closely enough to make a difference.  

I think if people are really upset, write to the Exec Offices and constructively express your opinion.  That direct and proactive feedback is the only real-time way for X to understand what customers are thinking.  And they'll do with that what they will (including doing nothing at all).

As long as bookings are up and pricing is high, you’re wasting your time complaining to anybody. When’s the last time they did anything significant based on just complaining?

The only thing that gets their attention is $$$$$. If you continue to throw your money ar them, you’re invisible to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann DiTullio said:

What mega ships? There is very little difference between S class and E class. Silhouette 122,000 tons and Edge 129,000 . Passengers Silhouette 2886 Edge 2918. 

If you mean Royal as a group then the mega ships of Royal must be balanced against Silversea and X's Flora.

Bigger may not mean better but it does mean cheaper per passenger

6 hours ago, Ann DiTullio said:

Sure they , it is a repositioning from Rome to Barcelona 😁

you can do a B2B cruise 

Consider your self lucky , a flight from Rome to Barcelona is a lot cheaper and short compared to flight from Toronto to FLL 

19 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Sure they , it is a repositioning from Rome to Barcelona 😁

you can do a B2B cruise 

Consider your self lucky , a flight from Rome to Barcelona is a lot cheaper and short compared to flight from Toronto to FLL 

Yeah no kidding. I recently booked the Beyond for March and return flights from Pearson  are just under $800.  Thinking of booking with Celebrity and flying out day of cruise. Any advice?

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The crew member on our last X cruise DID ask a question based on the video. I was the only one who gave the correct answer. YMMV. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons

16 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The crew member on our last X cruise DID ask a question based on the video. I was the only one who gave the correct answer. YMMV. 😉

What happened to those who didn't answer correctly?

Was most likely the crew member being bored as there is no requirement whether E-muster or traditional muster to pass a quiz

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Yeah no kidding. I recently booked the Beyond for March and return flights from Pearson  are just under $800.  Thinking of booking with Celebrity and flying out day of cruise. Any advice?

We would never even consider that.

Travel is stressful enough.

Edited by C-Dragons

Hey Everyone,  first off we absolutely love Cruising and have always had an amazing time on many Cruise Lines in the past few years we have been loyal to Celebrity under the Leadership of Lisa Luttoff-Perlo.  Lisa really worked hard to make Celebrity a premium Cruise Line providing outstanding service and an amazing culinary experience.  Since Laura Hodges Bethge took over we have seen announcement after announcement of reduced services and offerings as she reduces the levels down to be comparable with Royal and Princess.  Now I have had great experiences on both Royal and Princess but we switched because Celebrity offered more of the experience we enjoyed; all good but just different.  I totally get that pricing needed to be adjusted to compensate for the hardships that were experienced through COVID.  My issue is the increased prices, the reduction of services and choices especially in the Dining Rooms and the changes being made on Ships that are negatively affecting the passenger experience.  I get things will need to change but I sure hope the Executives are reading all of the boards and see the huge amount of people who are choosing different lines due to these changes.  We board the Beyond next week and we are excited but this will be the first Cruise where I get off and don't have another one booked onboard; sad to say the least.  I emailed my thoughts and got a response back from an assistant so i don't know if we will see many changes back to what we loved.  I think it maybe we will have to accept the higher prices, limited menus and offerings on board or choose to spend our money either on land based vacations or try Cruise Lines that are more focused on providing that amazing experience we have all gotten used too.  My hope is they are listening and find a balance even if it means paying more for the Cruise!  Happy Cruising Everyone!

• Like 5