NCL switching to fixed menus in the MDR?

DrSea

7 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

I`m sure that the number of people that are deciding against NCL and for another cruise line with "fixed dining vs. freestyle dining" as the only or main reason is extremely low and not sigificant for any such big decision for any cruise line.

It was a big issue for me when I was 12 to 28 yo. Eating at fixed times, awkwardly sitting with strangers, and having to wear business casual were deciding factors for me. Free style was so revolutionary when I first experienced it 20 years ago and has made a lasting impression on me. NCL was my preferred line for a long time despite there many many flaws.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I’m still confused here… on all the ships except Prima there was always a set selection on the MDR menus with a rotating list of daily specials, usually the right hand page of the dinner menus. The order of the rotation could change from cruise to cruise.

the dinner menu setup trialled on Prima had to make things more complicated in the galley as guests could pick pasta A with sauce X, or some other preferred combo which would have reduced their ability to have a bunch of dishes ready to just hand over to the servers. When they know exactly what dishes they’ll be serving they can have a certain number of servings ready to go before guests even arrive in the MDR. My understanding was that the Prima menu would only have a single special from specialty dining each evening, I can’t remember off hand if that menu item had an upcharge or not. 

NCL is allegedly going to do a test run at fixed menus fleetwide. General managers have the option of doing fixed menus for the entire cruise, half the cruise, or cancel it entirely. Newer ships are going first. They aren't sure yet exactly which cruise they are going to pull the trigger on the getaway yet. 

You heard it first here folks!

Source: NCL getaway officers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, laudergayle said:

But you see, we here on NCL CC board are loyalists.  We do not represent the general population.  While freestyle cruising is a nice-to-have, it does not give a NCL a significant advantage.  There occupancy should be significantly greater than their competitors if this freestyle positioning was the driver.  So, if NCL adapted a fixed dining time, but kept the casual nature of the cruise, would you stop cruising NCL?  I asked myself that question, and the answer was…1) probably not unless they mess with the 2 dinner platinum reward 2) we would continue to cruise but probably buy more specialty dining, 3) we would hope more complimentary freestyle concepts like Indulge, Local, O’Sheehans became available.

I’m not saying I know what NCL is going to do, I’m just saying just because you (us) find it valuable, nice, convenient, etc…that doesn’t mean NCL won’t change it.

Freestyle is the only reason we sail on NCL over someone like Royal. Royal has made a weak attempt with MyTime dining, but they currently use left over fixed time dining tables, so don’t allow MTD until 7:30 pm. NCL leads the industry in meeting the desires of the contemporary cruiser. No one wants to have fixed early and late dinners. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, DrSea said:

NCL is allegedly going to do a test run at fixed menus fleetwide

This just doesn't make sense.  They tried on the Prima and it was a flop (as evidenced by them rolling back to the menus currently used fleet-wide), changing to the fixed menus fleet-wide seems foolish at this point.  I feel like we're reading information from 18 months ago when the Prima was preparing to launch and the fixed menus were rumored to come fleet-wide if they worked on the Prima.

That said - do I want to see some changes to the existing menu?  I'd like to see some of the 'classics' changed up, but I can usually find something I like.  

• Like 6

I just don't understand???  I have cruised recently (within the last year) on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.  They both offer similar Freestyle dining options (Carnival is called Your Time Dining) and Royal is called My Time Dining).   Both have entire restaurants dedicated to accommodating those guests.   You can just show up and be seated when a table opens up, or you can reserve a time.  What is different about Freestyle Dining??

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

What is different about Freestyle Dining??

There are no MDRs dedicated to fixed-time dining.  There is no table assignment with random others for the week of the cruise.  There is also no 'formal night' where if you don't want to dress up (we're talking dress for the ladies and tie for the men) you're relegated to the buffet.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

There are no MDRs dedicated to fixed-time dining.  There is no table assignment with random others for the week of the cruise.  There is also no 'formal night' where if you don't want to dress up (we're talking dress for the ladies and tie for the men) you're relegated to the buffet.

OK, so having a restaurant dedicated to fixed-time diners does not impact My Time diners.  There are no table assignments (unless you request being sat at the same table with the same staff).  I haven't sat at a table with random strangers since 2011.   

While your Formal Night observation is correct, they have greatly relaxed the dress code.  Dress up if you'd like, but dress as you normally would if you don't want to dress up.   You won't be turned away unless you are in a t-shirt and flip flops!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

This just doesn't make sense.  They tried on the Prima and it was a flop (as evidenced by them rolling back to the menus currently used fleet-wide), changing to the fixed menus fleet-wide seems foolish at this point.  I feel like we're reading information from 18 months ago when the Prima was preparing to launch and the fixed menus were rumored to come fleet-wide if they worked on the Prima.

That said - do I want to see some changes to the existing menu?  I'd like to see some of the 'classics' changed up, but I can usually find something I like.  

The only thing I can think of is the money saving potential as being the impetus for this misguided initiative.  

It failed on the prima, but it may not on larger ships with more specialty dining? I'm hoping it goes over like a lead balloon and people make a huge ruckus over it. But I'm not so sure people will because there will be a lot of first time cruisers on their other ships who don't know any better. There were on mine. 

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

The only thing I can think of is the money saving potential as being the impetus for this misguided initiative.  

It failed on the prima, but it may not on larger ships with more specialty dining? I'm hoping it goes over like a lead balloon and people make a huge ruckus over it. But I'm not so sure people will because there will be a lot of first time cruisers on their other ships who don't know any better. There were on mine. 

I believe they learned a lot from the failed Prima fixed menus.  The first fixed menu was too expensive and too complicated. Their scaled down version was boring and limited.  Certainly they have enough intel from the rotating menus to know what the top choices are and associated costs.

and yes, I agree there is a whole new crop of cruisers who know no difference.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

OK, so having a restaurant dedicated to fixed-time diners does not impact My Time diners.  There are no table assignments (unless you request being sat at the same table with the same staff).  I haven't sat at a table with random strangers since 2011.   

While your Formal Night observation is correct, they have greatly relaxed the dress code.  Dress up if you'd like, but dress as you normally would if you don't want to dress up.   You won't be turned away unless you are in a t-shirt and flip flops!!

Carnival has replicated NCL's free style formula pretty closely. The only difference is that there is a dressy night on CCL and that they charge you for ordering beyond your 2nd entree (I think, I haven't looked back since that change was made as that is a line in the sand that I will not cross). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Maybe it depends on the ship but I have sailed both Carnival and RCL and neither had a dedicated dining room for My Time Dining. On RCL it didn't start until 6:45, which is not my time at all and we were seating in between diners that had left the 5:30 seating and those not arriving yet for the 8:30 seating. On Carnival it was somewhat different but the table were so close together, I might as well have been seated with those next to me. 

@DrSea the Prima may be smaller capacity wise than the Getaway, but it has more specialty restaurants than the Getaway. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

well, there is the difference/problem.  If I have to take off my t-shirt and flip flops, that is dressing up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

well, there is the difference/problem.  If I have to take off my t-shirt and flip flops, that is dressing up

Ahhh, someone that understands my philosophy of dress code! 

For what it's worth (it won't even get you a grain of rice), my husband and I chose NCL because of "freestyle" cruising. No dress code and no set time to eat. We still cruise NCL for these reasons. 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, laudergayle said:

So, if NCL adapted a fixed dining time, but kept the casual nature of the cruise, would you stop cruising NCL?  

I don't know if we would stop, but it would force us to consider other cruise lines. If we're going to be forced to eat at the same time, at the same table, with the same people almost every night, we might as well check out what the other lines who do this have to offer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Maybe it depends on the ship but I have sailed both Carnival and RCL and neither had a dedicated dining room for My Time Dining. On RCL it didn't start until 6:45, which is not my time at all and we were seating in between diners that had left the 5:30 seating and those not arriving yet for the 8:30 seating. On Carnival it was somewhat different but the table were so close together, I might as well have been seated with those next to me. 

@DrSea the Prima may be smaller capacity wise than the Getaway, but it has more specialty restaurants than the Getaway. 

Sorry. I didn't realize that the prima had more specialty dining. I didn't see moderno, which is my favorite in the NCL brand. I then assumed the prima had fewer specialty restaurants than the getaway. 

The carnival radiance for sure has dedicated my time dining. RCL didn't on mine when I was on the independence of the seas last year. 

Edited by DrSea

6 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I don't know if we would stop, but it would force us to consider other cruise lines. If we're going to be forced to eat at the same time, at the same table, with the same people almost every night, we might as well check out what the other lines who do this have to offer.

I don’t think they would go that far…I think it could just be fixed times.  Where there will still be two tops, 4-tops, etc.  Maybe tables closer together…kind of like Hudson’s on Prima (I thought they were close).   And, I also think they would have an anytime MDR…it just might cost to choose that option.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, laudergayle said:

What you say is accurate.  Freestyle dining is not a competitive advantage for NCL. Cruisers are not choosing cruise line based on dining hours as a main part of their selection criteria.  They are likely choosing based on cost/itinerary/convenience, and a certain % are choosing based on loyalty.  I don’t know if fixed dining is less expensive than freestyle dining, but my instinct says that fixed might be less expensive…which is why so many cruise lines do fixed.  NCL has said they will leave no stone unturned and have hired a consultant to find these cost cutting areas.   This could be one area they are eyeing 🤷‍♀️

I personally don`t think they will switch to fixed dining just for cost reasons.

It might be cheaper, but freestyle dining is one of the if not the main differentiator from other shipping lines.

They will not give us the most important thing that differs them from their main competitors.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Pretty soon there will be only one signature dish in the MDR that will be free. For your convenience you will be able to choose from a menu for an additional upcharge.

Oh like the elementary cafeteria when I was a kid.  But for a nickel you could buy a cookie, 2 nickels got you ice cream.  And if you were annoying, you got a private table.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

It is the same for me, I stay with NCL only because of free style.

• Like 2