The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 9th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Teddy Bear Day, Wonderful Wierdos Day, and National Sudoku Day

If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.--Toni Morrison

Meal Suggestion for today - Caprese Quinoa Bake
Drink of the Day - Kiss Me Cocktail
Wine of the Day - Borgo Magredo Prosecco Extra Dry
Destination of the Day - Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy

Today in History:
1776 Congress officially renames the country as the United States of America (from the United Colonies)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 09-10

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Porto, Portugal eta 09-11

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 09-10

Oosterdam

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 0700-2100

Rotterdam

Destination Amsterdam, The Netherlands 0700-1700

Volendam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Westerdam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam

Saint Anthony, Newfoundland 1200-2200

Zuiderdam

Boston, Massachusetts 0700-1700

0909World.thumb.png.668ca7faad384246454d56e4c868d80c.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning, thanks for today's daily report.  It's a cloudy day as we approach St John with a promise of a sunny day with temperatures near 72F.  Our day in Port is from 9am with all aboard at 9:30.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

20230909_075813.thumb.jpg.cb54c6448edb54bb1677a1a76094ef81.jpg

The pilot is onboard. 

20230909_075800.thumb.jpg.f14f43391a99d4915a724318dd27c61f.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A cool, cloudy morning here, only 12°C (54°F) but should warm up to 22°C (72°F) this afternoon.  I think I'll do some laundry and hang it outside to dry.  I should do some gardening too.

An interesting collection of days, I don't have many teddy bears around, I know some wonderful weirdos and I love Sudokus.

Good quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I think I'll like the drink and the wine.

We've been to Livorno once, and we headed to Florence for the day.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.

• Like 32

Ooh - love Teddy 🐻, happy to let them have a day!!

I guess Weirdos deserve one, too, but only the wonderful ones.

Never played Sudoku.

Passing on the meal, will decide on the drink when I learn what it is.

I may have been to Livorno; I think it was on the ill-fated Med cruise in 2017. I will enjoy it through the pictures I'm sure Dailyites will post and TIA for doing so.

So happy for name change - good job, Congress!!

It's only 77, headed to 97 - grateful to be in double digits with no triples forecasted. 😊

I have no choice but to open the suitcase - the Venezia is leaving in a week with or without me, I prefer it be with and with a change of clothes.🤫

Therapist is going to give me a plan to follow for the 2 weeks on the ship when I see her Tues; I hope she celebrates my new achievement - I was able to reach the light switch yesterday!! I know DH is beyond excited to see me doing more and relying on him less. He is not going on this cruise (I'm traveling w/sister) and has asked several times how I plan on doing certain things.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

Screenshot_20230909-053643_Weather.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 35

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! It is another exquisite morning - 68 & dry! We had some wild T-storms yesterday afternoon. It got so dark, I had to turn a light on to eat my lunch. @cunnorl Charlene, hope all is well with you. My local weather guru talked about 60 mph winds & large damaging hail near you. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing what is going on with each of us. Just Zumba, Bindi walks, chores and dinner at a friend’s for me today. 

IMG_1731.jpeg.76030069dae2480879e28f5700bfb7ac.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg.8a8e56f9922d710fa40dec6cc90c64ac.jpeg

IMG_1579.jpeg.9ca8a2dadfd896b9b3f79a66ee377895.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Smitty34877 Terry, keeping Lou, Tana and your entire family & support team in my prayers. @rafinmd Roy, praying that your care is mild and you are back to normal quickly. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @marshhawk & @catmando Annie & Chuck Happy Anniversary!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Borgo Magredo Prosecco Extra Dry

Prosecco is fun on its own, or added to a mixed drink to lighten it up. This Prosecco sounds lovely more than 6,000 consumers give it a very good - excellent rating. Widely available with online prices starting at $9.99.

Distributor notes

Prosecco is Italy’s most popular sparkling wine: light, refreshingly effervescent and well-priced. What’s not to like? Borgo Magredo Prosecco is made with 100% estate-owned glera grapes sourced from within the DOC area. Unlike champagne that acquires its effervescence through costly fermentation in bottle, Prosecco is made in pressurized tanks: this process not only allows to keep costs down but also helps keeping flavors fresh and lively, creamy and balanced with a delicate combination of acidity and fruit. Prosecco styles vary based on the amount of residual sugar and can range from brut (dry) to extra dry (which counter-intuitively means a little bit sweet). While this is by no means a sweet wine, that light touch of sweetness makes Borgo Magredo Prosecco Extra Dry especially pleasant to the taste, initially cool and soft on the palate with fine bubbles, then giving way to fruity traces of peach and pear flowers. While delicious on its own as an aperitif, Prosecco can also be served throughout the meal especially with seafood and shellfish, light salads, tempura and sushi. Blended with fruit puree it is the ideal base for delicious bellinis. Borgo Magredo Prosecco also comes in convenient 187ml bottles that are perfect for single servings or for pic-nics. Enjoy!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 4

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Smitty34877’s DH Lou hospitalized

Catmando’s brother Scott suffering from a stroke 9/4

Rafinmd (Roy) testing positive for Covid

Crazy For Cats’ DM with a fall, pacemaker inserted, now in rehab facility

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina:

Morocco earthquake 

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Hurricane Lee 

Shooting victim(s) 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Cruising-along’s DBIL diagnosed with prostate cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary marshhawk (Annie) and Chuck!

Lady Hudson celebrating the birth of a great-grandson, Jalen Alexander!

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas doing well and getting the ok to cruise!

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Heartgrove (MSC Preziosa Sept 14 to Sept 24) British Isles

5 days for Lady Hudson (Jewel of the Seas Sept 14 to Sept 28) Canada and Greenland

5 days for Mr. Boston (Oosterdam Sept 14 to Oct 8 ) 24d Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities

6 days for Cruising-along (Celebrity Solstice Sept 15 to Sept 22) Alaska

7 days for Jaljo1935 (Carnival Venezia Sept 16 to Sept 29, B2B) 13d NY/Canada/NE

Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ), Luvteaching (Westerdam to Sept 10), LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 10), HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to Sept 13) and RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy to Sept 20, B2B)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  I like Teddy bears, prefer my brain teasers with words so it's Scrabble.  Plenty of weirdos are around.  A good quote.  I look forward to photos of Liverno.  Pass on the meal, the cocktail sounds sweet, I usually don't care for Prosecco instead prefer a dry Spanish Cava.  

Prayers for all on our Care list.  I will wait for Vanessa's compilation.  Too tired last evening to look at the Daily. Prayers for Lou, baby Murphy, the earthquake victims in Morocco and the people of Ukraine.

We got a lot accomplished yesterday, we finally got sunlight at 11am.   Wrapping up raking and loading plants this afternoon.  Have a wonderful Saturday.  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 31

Good morning friends!  Happy Saturday!  Here I am experiencing 65F, expect about 85 with mostly sunny skies.  There's a small chance of a shower this evening.  Happy Anniversary Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando!!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Thanks Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.  Great days, food and beverages.  I appreciate teddy bears and have an Ohio State and a Michigan teddy bear on the guest room closet shelf.  When family stays there they feel right at home.  Seeing weirdos as wonderful is a very charitable attitude.  And I do Sudoku all the time.  I have a book of them right here next to me in fact.  The quote is interesting and a bold idea.  I'm not a fan of quinoa so will leave that to others.  Love the name of the cocktail and will take a glass of that prosecco.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your great reports each day.

Today's day in history is my favorite so far.  What a great day for this country!

Prayers for our Care list, and a special prayer for Roy's @rafinmd quick recovery from Covid.  Also many prayers for Lou, Terry's DH @smitty34877 and little Baby Murphy.  All on the Care list were included in my prayers as well as DB, friend's DB Mark, our Maui citizens who lost so much, and the people of Ukraine.  🙏  Three cheers for the Celebration list and everyone cruising and preparing to cruise.  Jake @Crazy For Cats, I hope you enjoy St. John's today.  We took a tour of Old St. John's and Cape Spear.  Our tour guide Susan Flanagan was the best ever.  What a fun time she made it for all of us!  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for her wonderful list keeping!

Our port today is Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy.  We had that port way back at the beginning on March 19, 2021 and Sept. 18, 2022.  3/19/21 has dropped off Rich's activity on his profile, but I was able to bring it up by using the link I included on Sept. 18, 2022.  Voila!  Here are the links for Livorno.

According to my records we've been to Livorno 6 times.  We've of course traveled from Livorno to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  But one trip we took the shuttle into Livorno to see what it offered.  Not much!  One and done!

I recall we took a tour of Cinque Terre once from Livorno, on the 2018 Prinsendam Grand Africa and Med cruise.  There's plenty to see when you visit Livorno (outside town) so I hope you can all get there someday if you haven't already. I'll leave all the wonderful Florence, Pisa and Lucca photos to the rest of you and post photos from the day we toured Cinque Terre from Livorno.  If anyone wants to see how little there is to do in Livorno, I could post photos from there too.

The beautiful scenery along the way to Mararola.  We passed by the Carrara marble region.

Our tour went to three coastal villages in Cinque Terre - Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso, a string of centuries old seaside villages on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline.  Part of our trip was to be by boat but seas were dangerous so later we took a train from Manarola to Vernazza.

Our route to the sea in Manarola.  We noticed small boats stored right on the street, and that pink was a very popular color for houses.

The ocean in Manarola.

No boat ride from here!  Getting on the train in Manarola.

Here in Vernazza we had a similar experience.  In fact, I can't tell this street from the last one in Manarola.  The walk to the seaside, the boats, the pink buildings, the cafes.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTsSzyMxY0KOhn8tqPWkRl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084174

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL3XpFXdVJilWO6nwZQIvFa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084182

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqMnK33WN_2ZfJkmugATLG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526132432

Why we didn't take the boat!

The scenery along the way on the train to Monterosso was gorgeous.  But it was just as pretty upon arrival.

A street scene and shops

A harmless looking church and its scary interior

Yep, skeletons!

Looking for lunch we decided to eat closer to the train station.  This walk was so gorgeous.

Last view of Monterosso and our day in Cinque Terre

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIryId-URjc7hboQ-i-VyFc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526132609

Enjoy your weekend!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. We had a very sad day yesterday  and it was decided that my DH would be cared for by home Hospice once he can leave the hospital.

He has had quite a few complications but is comfortable  with this decision. My Massachusetts and New Hampshire family members will be down in the next few days to visit with  him.

Once again, thank you all so very much for  your prayers , thoughts and encouragement. 

I don't  think either of us thought it would happen so quickly.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 35

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We had a very sad day yesterday  and it was decided that my DH would be cared for by home Hospice once he can leave the hospital.

He has had quite a few complications but is comfortable  with this decision. My Massachusetts and New Hampshire family members will be down in the next few days to visit with  him.

Once again, thank you all so very much for  your prayers , thoughts and encouragement. 

Terry my heart breaks to hear your news. 😥 Praying fervently for Lou, you, Tana and your entire family.🙏

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry, no words that can help make things better. Just hugs and prayers. 

Ann

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Kiss Me cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Jim Beam® Rye
1/2 part DeKuyper® Strawberry Patch Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Passion Fruit Juice
Wine, Sparkling
Lemon Peel

Instructions
Shake all but sparkling wine with ice and strain into a chilled champagne flute then top with sparkling wine. Garnish with a lemon peel, or place a strawberry on the rim.

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 7.45.20 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 16

4 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

@StLouisCruisers we are doing the same tour you did.

You would be blessed to have Susan Flanagan as your guide today.  Fingers crossed for you!  The weather was ideal the day we were there, Aug. 18.

I looked for photos of my teddy bears and found one taken exactly 3 years ago today, for Teddy Bear Day.  Love those grins!

• Like 29

35 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Hugs to you both.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.  Happy Anniversary @marshhawk and @catmando.  Prayers for Terry, Lou, and the entire family in this difficult time.

I'll claim to pass on the first 2 days but love Sudoku.

I love the Morrison quote and thankful we are no longer colonies.

I have not been to Livorno.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Grilled Striploin, and TIramisu. as served last night in MS Westerdam Canaletto.

Feeling neither better nor worse but different.  I did sleep better but was not motived to get out of bed this morning.

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2