Am I the only one ?

lenquixote66

I had it once, in a mixed seafood dish.  It was okay, nothing special.  Then I learned I am allergic to shellfish, so no interest in further exploration.  I've never understood the fascination anyway, apart from the restaurant price.  Our petite tablemate ordered four on a recent cruise.....

On 9/9/2023 at 2:41 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I have never tasted lobster.

Considering how widely you have cruised/ travelled, I did not expect to discover this of you. Especially considering up till recently, lobster was complimentary, and also part of the final sea day menu of most cruises I know. Why have you never tasted lobster, @lenquixote66?

I love lobster! My love affair with it began as a student travelling through Shediac, Canada, trying lobster for the first time in a place known as the "lobster capital of the world." I've enjoyed this crustacean simply boiled with some garlic butter, or as part of an overstuffed lobster roll in Eastern Canada and the US, or most recently as part of Chuck Hughes's menu item of Lobster Poutine in his Montreal restaurant, Garde Manger. Hughes' Lobster Poutine "reigned supreme" over Iron Chef Bobby Flay some years ago. Or when I'm visiting friends and family in South East Asia, it's so satisfying to have lobster and other seafood cooked in 101 ways or more, from steamed to stir fries, cooked in curries, fried with salted egg, etc etc. Yum-oh!!

Sadly though, lobster is not part of our normal day-to-day budget and so I'm intentional where I choose to have it. Incidentally, I enjoyed the lobster I had on the Apex in January 2023 before the Celebrity cuts rolled in. 😋

• Like 1

I'm not a huge lobster fan. Whole lobster with butter? I'll pass. Probably not even a lobster tail. But I do enjoy lobster bisque and, for example, pasta or rice dishes "flavored" with lobster. First tasted lobster on a flight from Milwaukee to DC on Midwest Express, back in the day. It was a cold lobster salad served on the half shell. Somehow I expect they recycled the shells. 

3 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Considering how widely you have cruised/ travelled, I did not expect to discover this of you. Especially considering up till recently, lobster was complimentary, and also part of the final sea day menu of most cruises I know. Why have you never tasted lobster, @lenquixote66?

I love lobster! My love affair with it began as a student travelling through Shediac, Canada, trying lobster for the first time in a place known as the "lobster capital of the world." I've enjoyed this crustacean simply boiled with some garlic butter, or as part of an overstuffed lobster roll in Eastern Canada and the US, or most recently as part of Chuck Hughes's menu item of Lobster Poutine in his Montreal restaurant, Garde Manger. Hughes' Lobster Poutine "reigned supreme" over Iron Chef Bobby Flay some years ago. Or when I'm visiting friends and family in South East Asia, it's so satisfying to have lobster and other seafood cooked in 101 ways or more, from steamed to stir fries, cooked in curries, fried with salted egg, etc etc. Yum-oh!!

Sadly though, lobster is not part of our normal day-to-day budget and so I'm intentional where I choose to have it. Incidentally, I enjoyed the lobster I had on the Apex in January 2023 before the Celebrity cuts rolled in. 😋

I have only traveled in North and South America.In 1967 my sister in law and her husband went to Montreal for Expo’67.They loved it so much that in 1969 my wife and I took a trip to Montreal.We stayed at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel for two weeks,fell in love with Montreal and vacationed there 9 more times.We did 8 more vacations touring Canada.

• Like 1

I’m lucky to live in New England so lobster is great here but not my favorite. Lobster types vary around the world from very different and sometimes just odd. 
My DW surgerically strips a whole lobster to the shell, nothing is left. 
The fish I had on a recent QM2 Crossing (turbot, crab from Cornwall coast, milk poached halibut, Scottish salmon/kippers, and Atlantic cod) IMO are all better vs lobster. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

I’m from Massachusetts so lobster is 2nd nature to most of us.  The secret is that you need fresh lobster (from Maine) steamed then eaten with drawn butter.  The lobster must be fresh.  I also love a 2 lb lobster baked stuffed with crabmeat stuffing again with drawn butter.  We usually pass on the lobster served onboard ship.  It never reaches the height of fresh lobster from the Maine.  .  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 3:39 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I have never eaten crab meat and clams .However,I love shrimp and eel .

I don't like virtually ANY seafood and I have tasted lobster, fish, crab and shrimp multiple times hoping my tastes change...As Harters said, I find it underwhelming but dislike it less than other seafood.

On 9/21/2023 at 2:52 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

you need fresh lobster (from Maine)

On our last trip to the States, we spent a few days based in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. One day, we took a boat excursion onto the river which divides the state from Maine. I remember the commentary saying that a lot of lobster was caught in the estuary. Where, if it was landed in New Hampshire, it was sold as "lobster", whereas if it was landed on the other side of the river it was sold as "Maine lobster". Power of marketing. 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

On our last trip to the States, we spent a few days based in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. One day, we took a boat excursion onto the river which divides the state from Maine. I remember the commentary saying that a lot of lobster was caught in the estuary. Where, if it was landed in New Hampshire, it was sold as "lobster", whereas if it was landed on the other side of the river it was sold as "Maine lobster". Power of marketing. 

Portsmouth NH is a great place to stay in.  The restaurants are some of the best on the entire East Coast.  Portsmouth is considered a restaurant destination city.  I’ll accept New Hampshire lobster as a valid lobster meal.  NH has such a small amount of coast line…compared to Maine.  So much so that it rarely rates a mention compared to Maine.  BTW…the best lobster comes from the deep ledges…200+ feet down.  The high pressure of the deep makes the meat of the lobster more compact and better tasting.  This is one of the reasons you hear a lot about Maine Lobster.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Portsmouth NH is a great place to stay in.

It is. This was our second stay in the city. We've eaten well both trips - but then making sure we eat well is an important part of any holiday planning we do. 

• Like 1