1 hour ago, NoBoozeCruise said:

Where can I find transatlantic weather predictions for cruises?

The crossing will be Canaries to Carribbean so I would expect warm. But I could be very wrong with the wind. Not sure what to expect.

With respect to weather, a crystal ball is about as effective as any other resource you can find.

The time of year will be helpful in providing an educated guess.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NoBoozeCruise said:

Thank you for the replies.

But I am literally looking for an Atlantic weather report like you would find for your city or county. 

They must exist for sailors if nothing else 

Yes, they do but like cities they are issued a couple of days in advance and for fairly specific areas.  I'm sure you can appreciate that the Atlantic between the Canary Islands and somewhere in the Caribbean is a vast area and the weather will depend a lot on where you are and when.  Many/most mariners will relay on weather maps; interpret them and do their own forecasting.

A_sfc_full_ocean_color.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, they do but like cities they are issued a couple of days in advance and for fairly specific areas.  I'm sure you can appreciate that the Atlantic between the Canary Islands and somewhere in the Caribbean is a vast area and the weather will depend a lot on where you are and when.  Many/most mariners will relay on weather maps; interpret them and do their own forecasting.

A_sfc_full_ocean_color.png

Nice map, source?

I check the fisherman's weather forecast when surfing. Incredibly accurate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this post is slightly old - but I am doing a crossing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale Oct 29 - Nov 12.  I know no-one has a crystal ball but for those that have done a crossing in the fall - how was the weather generally.  Not asking about rain, sunshine - but more about temperatures.  Do I need to be more prepared for cold weather or warm weather.  I will bring clothes for both - but if cold how cold.  Like freezing?  Or just cooler?  Any ideas?

38 minutes ago, LisaAtlCruiser said:

I know this post is slightly old - but I am doing a crossing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale Oct 29 - Nov 12.  I know no-one has a crystal ball but for those that have done a crossing in the fall - how was the weather generally.  Not asking about rain, sunshine - but more about temperatures.  Do I need to be more prepared for cold weather or warm weather.  I will bring clothes for both - but if cold how cold.  Like freezing?  Or just cooler?  Any ideas?

Without mentioning any ports of call it is impossible to estimate the route, which is a significant factor in weather.

At that time of year, on a more southerly crossing, most of my crossings have been pleasant. However, I note you are from Florida, so your expectations of pleasant temperatures may vary significantly from mine. Shorts & short sleeved t-shirts on outer decks most days.

34 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Without mentioning any ports of call it is impossible to estimate the route, which is a significant factor in weather.

At that time of year, on a more southerly crossing, most of my crossings have been pleasant. However, I note you are from Florida, so your expectations of pleasant temperatures may vary significantly from mine. Shorts & short sleeved t-shirts on outer decks most days.

Thank you!  We have 3 stops - in Valencia Spain, Seville Spain and then Nassau.  

I think I might be over planning for colder temps and should shift a bit to make sure I include enough clothes for warmer temps.

On 10/12/2023 at 5:16 PM, LisaAtlCruiser said:

I think I might be over planning for colder temps and should shift a bit to make sure I include enough clothes for warmer temps.

Southern Spain will be 20+ degrees. Unlikely to be raining. The evenings will be cool around 15° and the weather should improve as you head towards the Carribbean. Barcelona will be a few degrees cooler and rain is possible. 

If you were heading to the canaries after Spain, or near them, that is Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, the crossing would be around 5 degrees warmer.

New York to London at that time of year would be cold. Around 12 degrees and WET.

Long range weather forecasts are available for your destinations now, it is not long away. Enjoy your cruise. 

All Temps in Celcius. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:16 AM, LisaAtlCruiser said:

Steaming straight from Gibraltar Straits to Nassau, the Master has a number of options for routing, with avoiding weather being the primary, then getting advantages from wind and currents.

The winds are the NE trade winds, so best courses are steaming SW'ly. which also gains a boost from the cold current flowing south from Gibraltar to Canaries. The Atlantic Drift then flows W'ly parallel to the Equator. If you have any weather systems to the North, or on the Rhumb Line course, I expect the Master will follow this more southerly route, getting advantage from the currents and winds.

Basically, I would expect reasonable temperatures, so I certainly wouldn't discount shorts & t-shirts. Having experienced both extremes of temperature and wind, I will not speculate as to actual temperatures.

Provided no frontal depressions are affecting the local weather patterns, for the first few days, the wind should be astern at 15 - 20kts, which is normal for the trade winds zone, so you should have minimal, if any wind over the open decks. When winds are astern, it is very pleasant on the outer decks.

• Like 1