Discovery Princess dining dress code

Cattiathecat

22 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Would wearing a fascinator for ladies count?  It's still a head dress.  Question from a younger person, who's trying to understand what's wrong with wearing a baseball cap to dinner.

Without taking sides, I will answer your question from history. (I work for a museum BTW.) A hat for men is considered outerwear, like an overcoat or raincoat. A person traditionally doesn't wear clothes designed to protect from the elements at the table. A fascinator is not worn as outerwear, but fashion. A ball cap is for sun protection. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Potstech said:

If you have ever been to Walmart you would know their dress is very very real. No way to make them look "elegant" in those clothes.

Sorry, I don’t shop at Walmart, but I assume I’d be too busy shopping to even notice. 

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

How can anyone say what will be accepted and what won't?

It all depends on who is at the door when you walk in.

Try it and see what happens. 

It's a culmination of many reports from various ships since the return from Covid, so there must be some truth to it. 

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Has anyone seen ripped jeans in the MDR yet? It is bound to happen sooner or later.

I haven't yet but I'll almost bet that they'll be overlooked, just as are the shorts. After all, if ripped jeans are actually forbidden, it's easy enough to convert them to shorts on the spot. 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It's a culmination of many reports from various ships since the return from Covid, so there must be some truth to it. 

You misinterpreted my comment. Who on this forum can or may say what is accepted to represent Princess? 

Yes, I have seen torn jeans on other cruise lines. Not yet on Princess. So, I will buy some and wear them to prove a point. LOL

23 hours ago, Cattiathecat said:

Thanks all. I should have said business suit instead of ‘day suit’ 🤣 great news that he can dress more informally as he prefers that.  Do they have a specific formal night at all. I seem to recall cruises used to have this. Thank you

You can see how many formal nights to expect and the requested dress code here https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

The Journey View activity timeline in the app will show which nights are formal. Look for "Formal portraits" to be listed as an evening event. It can populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, I don’t shop at Walmart, but I assume I’d be too busy shopping to even notice. 

Never?  We do occasionally when want certain bulk paper goods items or cleaners/detergents or pharmacy section items.  They have very good prices and don't need to go Big Box size.  To each their own, however.

4 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Without taking sides, I will answer your question from history. (I work for a museum BTW.) A hat for men is considered outerwear, like an overcoat or raincoat. A person traditionally doesn't wear clothes designed to protect from the elements at the table. A fascinator is not worn as outerwear, but fashion. A ball cap is for sun protection. 

Like a lot of other things, it seems, in the case of billed caps, the tradition has changed.  Without taking sides, they are clearly considered a fashion accessory by quite a few people these days.  

I wonder if those insect feeler headbands would be considered OK?  

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Take your pick - forehead or neck.  Depending on angles and peak size, there is the nose as well to consider. 

The problem for me with baseball caps is the ears... the top of my ears get burned. I suppose I could wear it with the peak at the side but it would only protect on ear... and I'd look goofy!

11 hours ago, Torfamm said:

You can see how many formal nights to expect and the requested dress code here https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

The Journey View activity timeline in the app will show which nights are formal. Look for "Formal portraits" to be listed as an evening event. It can populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.

Really helpful, thank you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oxo said:

You misinterpreted my comment. Who on this forum can or may say what is accepted to represent Princess? 

Yes, I have seen torn jeans on other cruise lines. Not yet on Princess. So, I will buy some and wear them to prove a point. LOL

I wouldn't waste good money on such junk, but if it makes people happy to wear, who really cares?

I would just cut them up to save for patches to use on my husbands work jeans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

The problem for me with baseball caps is the ears... the top of my ears get burned. I suppose I could wear it with the peak at the side but it would only protect on ear... and I'd look goofy!

You need a Goofy hat to protect your ears.  The Goofy ears that protrude protect your ears.

51f+nkJME5L.jpg

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I wouldn't waste good money on such junk, but if it makes people happy to wear, who really cares?

I was just joking! LOL

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Never?  We do occasionally when want certain bulk paper goods items or cleaners/detergents or pharmacy section items.  They have very good prices and don't need to go Big Box size.  To each their own, however.

We live in a small resort town north west of Toronto on Georgian Bay and we always try to support our community and shop locally. No Walmart for miles, thank goodness. Even before we retired, and living in Toronto, I had no interest in shopping there.  I was actually disappointed when Walmart came to Canada years ago.  But, that’s just me.

Yes, I agree!  When my boys were little I always tossed out the ripped jeans.  I have to admit I’ve never patched jeans, but good for you!

30 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, I agree!  When my boys were little I always tossed out the ripped jeans.  I have to admit I’ve never patched jeans, but good for you!

If I didn't patch my husband's work jeans, he would only ruin a pair of good ones every time he works with his welder in the garage. 

• Like 1

If I didn't patch my husband's work jeans, he would only ruin a pair of good ones every time he works with his welder in the garage. 

For less than the cost of one pair of name brand jeans, you could buy him a leather welder's apron online. I won't mention the name of the store, but they're known for online cheap tools. Would sure keep his jeans nicer. I wear a denim one for my luthier work and keeps my clothes nice. Christmas idea!

17 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

For less than the cost of one pair of name brand jeans, you could buy him a leather welder's apron online. I won't mention the name of the store, but they're known for online cheap tools. Would sure keep his jeans nicer. I wear a denim one for my luthier work and keeps my clothes nice. Christmas idea!

Thanks, I'll mention it but I'm sure he's familiar with a leather outfit. 

I can't get him to throw any of his work clothes out until they're shreds. 

Maybe I'll buy one for a Christmas surprise. It sure would save a few holes in some of his work jeans plus their located close by. 

Northern Tool- $12.74 less a veterans' discount of 10%.

I'll have to sneak his drivers license out of his wallet & go shopping some day. 😉

image.png.2e4939f85a15a5250f3ca4ec914a45fa.png