Which itinerary is better

kimlet

I would like to try Symphony of the Seas, but is having trouble deciding on itineraries. I haven't been to any of the places except Coco Cay. Would love some opinions.

Thank you

7 Night Eastern Caribbean & Perfect Day                                                                                      

Coco Cay, San Juan, Puerto Rico and Philipsburg, St.Maarten  

7 Night Eastern Caribbean & Perfect Day

Coco Cay, Charlotte Amalie, St.Thomas and Philipsburg, St.Maarten 

8 minutes ago, kimlet said:

I would like to try Symphony of the Seas, but is having trouble deciding on itineraries. I haven't been to any of the places except Coco Cay. Would love some opinions.

Thank you

7 Night Eastern Caribbean & Perfect Day                                                                                      

Coco Cay, San Juan, Puerto Rico and Philipsburg, St.Maarten  

7 Night Eastern Caribbean & Perfect Day

Coco Cay, Charlotte Amalie, St.Thomas and Philipsburg, St.Maarten 

Depends on how long you are in San Juan.  Most of the stops are horrible not arriving until 1 or 2 in the afternoon.  

So it looks like St. Thomas vs San Juan...

Our choice...San Juan, PR.

* You will dock in Old Port San Juan and most of the sights, restaurants, and shops are within walking distance. It is hilly, but there's usually a free tram on cruise days. You can also easily use Uber to to go to the beach like Isla Verde. Happy sailing.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Depends on how long you are in San Juan.  Most of the stops are horrible not arriving until 1 or 2 in the afternoon.  

I was typing (1 finger) when you responded :classic_smile:...hope you and your family are well.

Since it's San Juan versus St. Thomas, you can either have a beach day or historical day - of course your could do neither at either stop. Both have shopping and sight seeing. I agree, check to see what your port times would be. Some stops are very short.

• Like 1

If you plan to continue cruising regularly, you are apt to see both St Thomas and San Juan on future cruises as they both make frequent appearances.  For my first few cruises I spent a disproportionate amount of time think about specific Caribbean port stops.  An itinerary change or a missed port could be disappointing. Then I realized we were addicted to cruising and without special planning we would soon know all usual Caribbean ports (and plenty of less common ones, too)

So if you foresee many cruises in your future, pick either one for any reason.  Both ports have their charms.  You might even be swayed by other considerations (more convenient week, flights, hotels, price, cabin availability, whatever).

Edited by Starry Eyes

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

If you plan to continue cruising regularly, you are apt to see both St Thomas and San Juan on future cruises as they both make frequent appearances.  For my first few cruises I spent a disproportionate amount of time think about specific Caribbean port stops.  An itinerary change or a missed port could be disappointing. Then I realized we were addicted to cruising and without special planning we would soon know all usual Caribbean ports (and plenty of less common ones, too)

So if you foresee many cruises in your future, pick either one for any reason.  Both ports have their charms.  You might even be swayed by other considerations (more convenient week, flights, hotels, price, cabin availability, whatever).

|Thanks, we do enjoy cruising so yes can do the other port another time too.

I would choose St Martaan & St Thomas unless you really want to see PR. Really depends on what you want to do. OF you want to see the old Fort and explore old San Juan the city is ok. If you are more in to beach on water stuff St Thomas is much better in my opinion.

I love sailing from San Juan, mostly because the ports you can get to on the southern route are some of my favorites (Aruba, St Lucia, Antigua, Barbados). 

San Juan would be an ok port stop if you have enough time to visit the forts. Their beaches aren't my favorite, they're a little more rough and not as crystal clear as other Caribbean islands, unless you go to the other side of the island, in which case, you need a long day there, plus a rental car. 

If it's one of those routes where the port stop is short in San Juan, I wouldn't pick it, I'd do the St Thomas route.