Anyone visited Bimini recently? please advise

qster

I just booked a cruise in December that will stop by Bimini, we just want to spend the day relaxing on the beach, and maybe explore the island a bit. It would be helpful to clarify some info from those who visited this island recently.

- First we were considering the (Virgin Voyage's) Beach Club mainly because it has beach chairs/umbrella, food & washrooms.  However there were many reviews indicated that is not worth it because the beach is packed like sardines and beach chairs/umbrella likely unavailable due to overcrowded guests coming in from the cruise.  Has anyone been there lately that can confirm?

- Radio beach seems to have a lot of mixed reviews, some said it's a great public beach, but there are also many complaints about the poor condition with garbage & broken glass as people don't cleanup after themselves (as it is a public beach), some reviews also indicated that this beach has deteriorated significantly since cruise pier first opened in 2021 with lots of trash on beach, rental chairs & umbrella are likely in bad shape, broken). Has anyone been there recently to clarify its condition?

- Golfcart: it seems that the best way to explore the island is to rent a golfcart, however most recent reviews have been very negative with many warnings about being scammed? Is there any reliable golfcart rental vendors that someone can recommend? also confusing that some reviews said you have to bring your own lock for the golfcart? 

- Is there shuttle between cruise port and Alice town? or just taxi?  and taxi rate $5pp going anywhere on the island?

Thanks in advance for all the replies

Edited by qster

We were there a few weeks ago. You used to be able to go to the beach to the right of the beach club, but this year, the tram driver said that it’s not public and that the public beach is the one next to the pier (which had a sewage odor). I don’t think the admission to the beach club is worth it. Next trip I’ll probably take a cab to town to check it out or stay on the ship. If you want to book a golf cart, I wouldn’t do it in advance. It looked like there were lots of golf carts. A lot of people post complaints about the rentals, so I would probably use a cab to get around. The island is very small. 

• Like 1

We were there in 2021.  Not much to see or do if you just want to sight see or walk around.  At least that was our experience.  We had not planned to get off ship, but decided to once we were docked.  We took a shuttle that was get on/get off and that worked great.  Stopped and looked at a beach and then stopped at another beach then a shopping area then back to ship.   

Wishing you a great trip and day in Bimini.  We are not beach/sun people, but the beaches were busy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qster said:

I just booked a cruise in December that will stop by Bimini, we just want to spend the day relaxing on the beach, and maybe explore the island a bit. It would be helpful to clarify some info from those who visited this island recently.

- First we were considering the (Virgin Voyage's) Beach Club mainly because it has beach chairs/umbrella, food & washrooms.  However there were many reviews indicated that is not worth it because the beach is packed like sardines and beach chairs/umbrella likely unavailable due to overcrowded guests coming in from the cruise.  Has anyone been there lately that can confirm?

we were there in June- the beach was pretty but extremely crowded- by 10am when we arrived umbrellas were very hard to come by- the first attendant told us none available but the 2nd after a tip was able to go into storage and bring out a few more.

• Like 1

We were in Bimini last month.  Glad I experienced it as a port stop as we were considering taking a mini vacation there via ferry from Fort Lauderdale or Miami prior to a cruise.  We won't be doing that!  We will just go to one of the keys.

I did write a review about it last month.  The water is beautiful.  I did go to Radio Beach.  Other than the water it reminded me of Cockleshell beach in St. Kitts minus the vendors.  

Tried to rent a golf cart.  As of August, the rental places were charging $150 or $160.  Taxis are $5 pp.  

Looked over at the beach to the right of the pier which I believe is Resorts world.  Think North Wildwood at the Jersey shore.

There was a lot of trash everywhere.  Granted we only saw the island up to Radio Beach but still.  

People there were extremely nice especially when we were trying to find a hose or something to rinse our feet off and a taxi.  

Hopefully when we come back to the port in December 2024, we will try something different.  It was a bad day as our excursion canceled on us that morning as we were packing up to leave the ship and we were just scrambling for something to do.  I know you can rent bikes there to ride around. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

we were there in June- the beach was pretty but extremely crowded- by 10am when we arrived umbrellas were very hard to come by- the first attendant told us none available but the 2nd after a tip was able to go into storage and bring out a few more.

Many reviews indicated the same thing, it's not right that you already paid then having to pay (tip) again to get what you already paid for.

18 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Tried to rent a golf cart.  As of August, the rental places were charging $150 or $160

It's ashamed with all the price gouging.  A review from a year ago indicated $65, then another review earlier this year was $100, and now $150+ ???    

8 minutes ago, qster said:

It's ashamed with all the price gouging.  A review from a year ago indicated $65, then another review earlier this year was $100, and now $150+ ???    

yep.  Our taxi driver told us it's normally $50 for the golf carts.  

• 1 month later...

Resorts world for me.

I went to Bimini for  the first time and of course I booked Resorts world since I dint know what to do.  I loved it but yes , arrive there before 10am of you won't find a chair with umbrella. Went again in October and it was less crowed this time. I ma going again in a few days and I plan to go there again. I saw the free beach next to the port, is not that bad honestly and it is free

Hi Susan,

I am going to share more information than you may want 😊, but hopefully you or someone else will find helpful.

We were there yesterday. We did not have any advanced plans. We thought about taking taxi to Radio beach based on other comments here. We did not book resorts world due to cost and mixed reviews. We did meet one couple who went and liked it.

When we pulled in to port the water looked very rough. We decided to rent a golf cart.  I would normally never do that but decided to since island is so small and limited vehicles. Many golf cart vendors approached when we got off at 3rd tram stop - fisherman’s village. We bypassed them and walked to the huge lot to look at the options. Everyone was quoting $80. We decided to get one of the newer nicer ones that was $120. It was worth it to us since We were worried about breakdowns. Was also glad since one of the roads was pretty flooded and we weren’t worried going through since we were higher with big tires and had no problem. We drove to radio beach via the main road. It Was not easy to find. We did not see signs, but someone directed us to it. We were so disappointed when we got there because water was very rough. We stayed on the upper road along the ocean from radio beach heading back to the resort area, it was beautiful! We headed back towards the hotel area and found a tiny sheltered beach. Small and not ideal, but was best option. For some reason, there was no one charging for palapa or chairs. We stayed for an hour or so. It was called kayak beach. We decided to drive back to radio beach and we were excited to see tons of people in the water. The tide was lower and Once you made it out through some waves, you got out to a sandbar. There were waves, but since not deep was fine. Water color and temperature was incredible and totally soft sand. Since it was 2pm, there was no one charging for chairs and there was shade which I need.

Overall it was better than expected and a great day. 

(Forgot to say that the rental vendors took cash and there was no paperwork at all)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Wendy,  

I’m sorry, I should have gotten a card. I know it had “mobility” in the name, but I don’t see a site. I think the most important thing is to walk around the lot and look at the carts before committing to a vendor right when you get off the tram. We also watched to make sure he filled the gas tank before we left.

• Like 1

We were also in Bimini on Friday.  We had the best FREE day.  Took the tram and we were expecting the free beach to be past 360 World Resort, but the tram turned back to the pier and said the free beach was there. I was disappointed because there was a sewer smell right by lounges and cabanas.

So we walked down the beach a ways and no smell and few people.  The water was shallow and warm.  Go old school with a towel and fine some shade under the trees .. it was one of our best beach days.   Also make sure you do ride the tram around, the island where the vacation homes are is quite beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 9:16 PM, marysb said:

We were also in Bimini on Friday.  We had the best FREE day.  Took the tram and we were expecting the free beach to be past 360 World Resort, but the tram turned back to the pier and said the free beach was there. I was disappointed because there was a sewer smell right by lounges and cabanas.

So we walked down the beach a ways and no smell and few people.  The water was shallow and warm.  Go old school with a towel and fine some shade under the trees .. it was one of our best beach days.   Also make sure you do ride the tram around, the island where the vacation homes are is quite beautiful.

Is there only one direction to walk down the beach near the cruise port?  If not which direction did you walk to get away from the smell? 

Is the beach inside of a cruise terminal area?  I was thinking of purchasing some drinks and snacks from a store (beer, etc.) and sitting on a public public beach with our own personal cooler and snacks.  

We are heading there in December and I am getting more and more away from the idea of renting a golf cart after reading many recent reports over multiple companies running various scams.  As much as I would like to do it, it may not be worth the risk.  

Next time we will possibly jump in a taxi and go to "town/right" and walk back.  Google maps /satellite view is the best way to get an idea of the layout.  Areas with yacht harbors are good candidates for waterfront food and drinks.  Kayak Beach is near the dock, Radio Beach is to the right but not close.    The cruise dock is near the Hilton at Resorts World Bimini.   A guess is the casinio pays the bills for the pier, trolley, etc.      https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7467398,-79.2809685,1366m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US&entry=ttu

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Is there only one direction to walk down the beach near the cruise port?  If not which direction did you walk to get away from the smell? 

Is the beach inside of a cruise terminal area?  I was thinking of purchasing some drinks and snacks from a store (beer, etc.) and sitting on a public public beach with our own personal cooler and snacks.  

We are heading there in December and I am getting more and more away from the idea of renting a golf cart after reading many recent reports over multiple companies running various scams.  As much as I would like to do it, it may not be worth the risk.  

Here’s some photos and my review of a really nice beach day.

• Like 1