Headed to Alaska in a few hours!

FiremedicMike151

My wife and I are headed out in just a bit to Alaska aboard the solstice in our aft balcony!

We've always sailed to warm places, of course my wife is freaking out over the weather even though the temperatures are the same as what they are at home a little later in the fall.

This will only be our second X cruise, last one was retreat on solstice, and we’re excited to see the difference.

Either way, we’re pretty excited.  This 7 day is the longest cruise we’ve taken and the 2nd longest vacation we’ve ever taken.  We tend to work extremely hard and then completely disconnect during our few vacations.  

• Like 3

Loved the Alaska cruise, and I never wanted to go.  I would do it again.    If you want an idea for a shore excursion, the eagle/bird rehad center is amazing

Clothes.  Layers.     Have a wonderful relaxing cruise.  The scenery is spectacular. Mother Nature at her best 

• Like 1

Have done Alaska twice in September and very good weather both times. Lots of end of season sales in the ports. Had an aft balcony on Eclipse last year and spent so many hours watching for sea life…and yes, we saw lots! Check out the Hot Glass show…I made a sea turtle, great souvenir! 
Cheers! 🥂

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 9:55 AM, FiremedicMike151 said:

My wife and I are headed out in just a bit to Alaska aboard the solstice in our aft balcony!

We've always sailed to warm places, of course my wife is freaking out over the weather even though the temperatures are the same as what they are at home a little later in the fall.

This will only be our second X cruise, last one was retreat on solstice, and we’re excited to see the difference.

Either way, we’re pretty excited.  This 7 day is the longest cruise we’ve taken and the 2nd longest vacation we’ve ever taken.  We tend to work extremely hard and then completely disconnect during our few vacations.  

Have an awesome cruise!!

Sorry to not post sooner, just rolled into Ketchikan and it’s the first time I’ve been back on Verizon, as cruisecritic won’t load on ship Wi-Fi for some reason.

The view has been absolutely amazing.  It’s pouring right now but still gorgeous.  Glad we didn’t pay for one of the plane excursions, definitely low vis with about 200ft ceilings.  

So far the solstice has been great!  Crew have been extremely friendly and food has been good.  Don’t love the fact that they charge so much for the “premium” plates in the MDR but it is what it is.  Our only other complaint is the lack of free food choices.  You have the MDR, the buffet, and the one little hamburger grill near the pool deck.  

Side note, for any of you who watch Tacoma FD, Andy (Eugene Cordero) has a doppelgänger that works at the martini bar on solstice, like a dead ringer for him..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did this exact cruise last week. Got lucky with the weather - Ketchican was in the 70s and sunny and Juneau and Skagway were 50s, overcast and only spitting rain from time to time. Also, the fog/rain cleared in time for the Dawes glacier viewing. Hope you have good luck as well. I'm jealous already and it's only been a few days since we debarked!