Dress code in the dining room

On 9/16/2023 at 2:59 PM, Qwltngcruiser said:

New cruisers here……I’ve read that the dress codes on some cruise lines aren’t very strict. What is it like on Royal (the Jewel specifically)?  My husband wants to pack into a carry-on only (one for each of us) and we will be dressing in long sleeve sporty shirts and technical pants with tennis shoes for most of the days of our trip. Are those inappropriate for the dining room?  How fancy is the formal night?  

My husband has to keep his food mostly salt-free. We don’t want to have to eat in the buffet most of the time, because they can’t accommodate him there and we can’t eat salt-free when in port for lunches. We need to figure out just how much dressier stuff we will need to take so we can fit it all in. 

Wear whatever you like. No one cares, especially staff. Those days are long past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:29 PM, doghog said:

Enjoy your first cruise. We like the Jewel. First night for me shorts and a polo/golf style shirt. After that night I wear dockers and a golf/polo style shirt. My wife, slacks and a fancy girly top. We no longer take formal wear. 

They did not ask what you wear. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Wear whatever you like. No one cares, especially staff. Those days are long past.

On a Florida departing cruise I would completely agree, cultures and expectations (in our experience) are slightly different on Royal sailings around the world.

I quit worrying about what people think of me decades ago.  I worry about my family, my friends, and myself.  If I feel uncomfortable about something, I don't do it.  If a stranger feels uncomfortable about something I'm wearing or eating in the buffet, I could care less.  If someone else in the MDA is wearing a cowboy hat, a tiger thong speedo, or a bare belly shirt, it AIN'T gonna change my experience or the flavor of my food, one bit.  Now, get off my lawn LOL!

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Now if only that attitude would carry over to all of RCI's lines.  Unfortunately, over on the Celebrity boards, the fashion police there would be having an absolute fit at even the hint of Celebrity dropping their "no shorts in the MDR" dress code. That's one of the reasons I still cruise mostly Royal.

15 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Now if only that attitude would carry over to all of RCI's lines. d Unfortunately, over on the Celebrity boards, the fashion police there would be having an absolute fit at even the hint of Celebrity dropping their "no shorts in the MDR" dress code. That's one of the reasons I still cruise mostly Royal.

You can change the enforced policy just like it was changed on RCL. Start wearing shorts to MDR and if that works, add a ball cap. If staff doesn't object, you will officially be game changer! Others will  follow.

6 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Now if only that attitude would carry over to all of RCI's lines.  Unfortunately, over on the Celebrity boards, the fashion police there would be having an absolute fit at even the hint of Celebrity dropping their "no shorts in the MDR" dress code. That's one of the reasons I still cruise mostly Royal.

I do and have years worn shorts the first evening in the MDR on our Celebrity cruises.

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Tin can said:

On a Florida departing cruise I would completely agree, cultures and expectations (in our experience) are slightly different on Royal sailings around the world.

There are no expectations. You wear what you want, when you want. If it bothers someone else,,,, good,,, it doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

recent quote i saw on the web

"when's the last time a stranger on the internet changed your mind about something?"

also recently i was at old ebbitt grill next to the whitehouse (you cant get out there with less than a 3 digit bill) and it was fine dining for sure. (the waiter had a very long dissertation on where and how the corn was sourced for example.)

i was seated by the front door and 94.5 percent of people had shorts on. it's a tourist spot just like the MDR is on a ship. 

12 hours ago, George C said:

Pretty sure you were in the minority in mdr, i don’t believe it is allowed in suite restaurant on celebrity.

I said the first evening. A lot in shorts that evening, no matter the dining venue and especially on Caribbean cruises. 

7 minutes ago, doghog said:

I said the first evening. A lot in shorts that evening, no matter the dining venue and especially on Caribbean cruises. 

Agree first night shorts are definitely allowed , surprised they allowed shirts the other nights , on a celebrity beyond cruise they made a ten year old change because of shorts in Blu. I was criticized because I had a tank top on in suite restaurant for breakfast.

49 minutes ago, George C said:

Agree first night shorts are definitely allowed , surprised they allowed shirts the other nights , on a celebrity beyond cruise they made a ten year old change because of shorts in Blu. I was criticized because I had a tank top on in suite restaurant for breakfast.

I only wear shorts the first evening. I'm not concerned whether the staff will allow me in the MDR in the evening after the first night, it's my wife I have to get by and I'd never make it out of stateroom wearing shorts. 🤣 Breakfast and lunch, always shorts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, doghog said:

I only wear shorts the first evening. I'm not concerned whether the staff will allow me in the MDR in the evening after the first night, it's my wife I have to get by and I'd never make it out of stateroom wearing shorts. 🤣 Breakfast and lunch, always shorts. 

I also always wear shorts for breakfast and lunch, wife always dresses up , so I will not dress that casual for dinner even on rccl. Our favorite restaurant in dallas area doesn’t allow shorts lunch or dinner , wish they did since we can hit 110 in summer.

Edited by George C
  • Like 1